Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Want Privacy on Facebook? Cough Up Some Cash 💰

have any of you noticed a major drop in your friends list?

i sure havent......not sure too many people are giving up facebook......and i know i am not. i use it both for personal reasons and for business.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Too long to read but I got the gist of it.  FB has protections and opts out.  I use some those.  I don't need or want any higher level of opt out.  If I wanted something more, I wouldn't pay for it.  I just wouldn't use FB anymore.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@handygal2

Its not surprising they seem to be following Google's lead.  Google charges if you want to opt out of advertising thats sent to you becasue of your "personal interests"  .To me its nothing but pure simple GREED!!!!  Is Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg not satisfied with his BILLIONS !...Woman Frustrated Woman Mad....Maybe Tom Anderson should bring back MySpace and it make more secure......It looks like Facebook needs some competition.....

A friend told me but I haven't heard it, unless you have a certain number of friends they are thinking of charging those accounts too....Woman Mad  Has anyone heard anything about this???????/

@handygal2  BTW love your tag line.... Woman LOL

@Spurt

Uh, no ......    not greed, but profitability.   Most Americans want American companies to be profitable.   Simple concept, and this is what you have with FB.

Surely you know at least the basics about how public companies run? .... those with shareholders, customers and boards of directors?   You must realize that any CEO's value is tied to the company's bottom line.   Don't you own any stocks?  Read about how companies succeed or fail?  Our economy?

If sales slump, shareholders expect management to do something about it ... stat.   They are expected to adapt and change with the times ... and all new changes in technology. 

FB may be an "unusual" business model to some people, since the membership is free, but it's a very successful business model, and obviously not the only company that operates this way.   

Keep in mind that people who join FB not only agree to their Terms, but they all VOLUNTARILY put their information on the internet.   No one is holding a gun to anyone's head there.

People who think you can have a sophisticated mainframe and website that offers all sorts of "social media connections" and do it with total privacy AND it be a totally "free service"  are either very naive ... or just plain stupid.    (JMO, people.)

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.   LOL  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@handygal2

Its not surprising they seem to be following Google's lead.  Google charges if you want to opt out of advertising thats sent to you becasue of your "personal interests"  .To me its nothing but pure simple GREED!!!!  Is Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg not satisfied with his BILLIONS !...Woman Frustrated Woman Mad....Maybe Tom Anderson should bring back MySpace and it make more secure......It looks like Facebook needs some competition.....

A friend told me but I haven't heard it, unless you have a certain number of friends they are thinking of charging those accounts too....Woman Mad  Has anyone heard anything about this???????/

@handygal2  BTW love your tag line.... Woman LOL

@Spurt

Uh, no ......    not greed, but profitability.   Most Americans want American companies to be profitable.   Simple concept, and this is what you have with FB.

Surely you know at least the basics about how public companies run? .... those with shareholders, customers and boards of directors?   You must realize that any CEO's value is tied to the company's bottom line.   Don't you own any stocks?  Read about how companies succeed or fail?  Our economy?

If sales slump, shareholders expect management to do something about it ... stat.   They are expected to adapt and change with the times ... and all new changes in technology. 

FB may be an "unusual" business model to some people, since the membership is free, but it's a very successful business model, and obviously not the only company that operates this way.   

Keep in mind that people who join FB not only agree to their Terms, but they all VOLUNTARILY put their information on the internet.   No one is holding a gun to anyone's head there.

People who think you can have a sophisticated mainframe and website that offers all sorts of "social media connections" and do it with total privacy AND it be a totally "free service"  are either very naive ... or just plain stupid.    (JMO, people.)

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.   LOL  Woman LOL

@Tinkrbl44

You always give an intelligent response and I highly respect you.  Your are so right the CEO's wealth is tied to the bottom line of the company. And Im all for a companies being profitable, successful, and most important providing jobs. And I know that those that make millions and billions dont just count their money in their ivory towers, they reinvest the money in other enterprises and keep the economy going. .

BUT there is some point where some CEOs get a tad GREEDY and some are even involved in unethical practices---sadly that happns too.  Look at Enron and the thousands of employees that scandal impacted as well as the economy.. People that worked their rear ends off for many many years lost their jobs and pensions.  .....

Yes Face Book has a privacy agreement as to what info they are going to share.  But there's a reason that this is being called a scandal and he's going before Congress....So I guess we agree to disagree on this one....Take Care. .

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Something about that doesn't seem right.  I won't pay anything.  I have nothing on my personal page that anyone would care about.  

It's not your personal page the hackers *really* want.  The hackers want the *personal* info you provided to FB on your account!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

You know that feeling in the pit of your stomach that you know something is not right and it sends up red flags? I *always* got that when I would log on to my Facebook account. That was years ago. I abandoned my account several years back. Even a couple of months ago when I logged on, I got that same feeling about it. Quickly logged back out. That can't just be coincidence.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

Something about that doesn't seem right.  I won't pay anything.  I have nothing on my personal page that anyone would care about.  

It's not your personal page the hackers *really* want.  The hackers want the *personal* info you provided to FB on your account!

@Mz iMac  I understand.  My account was created with a throw away email.  I post little to nothing.  

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

@Mz iMac  I understand.  My account was created with a throw away email.  I post little to nothing.  

I would hope everyone would have used a throw a way email account.

Esteemed Contributor

The Hearings will certainly be interesting!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

YES you can delete your FB account and if you log back in with your Password you can get back in!

No, that is an INACTIVE account not deleted account.  An inactive account can still be hacked or information compromised.