Trusted Contributor

I think it was a Target where I had a return and showed the customer service young lady my receipt. The item had been on sale and I paid the sale price. It wasn't on sale when I returned it and she kept trying to figure out how to give me the regular price. I explained at least 3-4 times that I PAID the sale price and here is the receipt, so that is what I should be refunded. By the time she figured out how to change the price, I figured I had earned it!

Trusted Contributor

Last fall our local Sams took out almost every register and replaced them with self check.  Personally I love the self check at Sams.  I position my items strategically so the UPC easily accessible.  I grab the scanner gun and check out in no time.  I have had the check out police come and check on me because I zoom through so fast.  

Afterwards our Walmart took out registers and added additional self check outs.  They also add a "waiting area" for those who are picking up online orders.  I usually don't have large orders at Walmart so self check out is fine with me.  I figure even if that space was check out lanes, they probably wouldn't be open anyway so it more moving of employees and allowing more customers through than loosing jobs.

Respected Contributor

The reason for self checkouts will be so merchants don't have to pay the higher minimum wage.

Cashiers are being let go as well as Walmart greeters.

Honored Contributor

Weird how nobody got their knickers in a twist when

gas stations implemented pumping own gas via self-service.

(Yes, I know NJ does not have self-service but it’s not

for ‘gotta keep jobs’ reason. It was originally for safety but

today’s it’s just a ‘bit’...nothing to do with jobs.)

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

If I have just a few things I dont mind using self check at our grocery store,HEB....

But at Walmart there are always long lines, and only one or two manned cashiers and long lines at self check...and it never fails at self check---something wont scan and waiting for someone to help takes a long time....At Target lots  of manned cashiers but long lines at both manned and self check...the Target does a booming business...

@Spurt  my friend, I couldn't agree more.  When I first moved here, even though it wasn't a huge move geographically it still took me a bit to get the lay of the land.  The first place I found was a huge WM which I didn't have by my previous address.  I was so pleased when I first started shopping there and couldn't understand the criticism I had heard.  Fast forward a couple of months . . . oh now I get it.  Whether you were in self serve (a disaster) or getting in line (better bring your own chair) I quickly located the Target's around here and now all is well.  Lots of check out options and always pleasant people around to assist if you need help.

I shop at Walmart and Target.  Target is very near my home, so if I need to grab something quick I go there.

three times in the last couple of months, Target charged me more than what their price tag said at the shelf.  Not just a few cents either,  in one case it was $2 more.  I don't know what's up with that, but I don't like it.

I always check my receipts before I leave any store.  Thanks goodness, I have a good memory and if something doesn't look right, I speak up...but I shouldn't have to.

Honored Contributor

Many of our local stores are taking out more and more of the full service registers and replacing with the self serve.

What gets me upset, and I've actually walked out of a store and left a full basket, is getting to the checkouts after 9am, with a heaping large cart of groceries, and no full service registers open. 

Some of our stores used to have full size belts on some of the self serve registers, so having a full cart or even two was no problem to process, but now they have taken those big ones out, and have the tiny little self check out stations, where you can't even fill four bags on the counter space provided, and moving them off, causes the machine to lock up (thinks you are stealing or something) and you have to wait for help.

One morning, I had a full basket and had to use those tiny self checks, and the employee who watches those register had to come and unlock my terminal five times, because I had so many groceries, there was nowhere to put them, and moving them messed with the register.

The next time I went in and found no full service register open after getting a cart full, I simply left it and walked out. 

If they are going to make us do the work, they are going to have to give us the space to process large orders. 

Honored Contributor

Seems like everywhere prices are going up and service is going down.

I see it at the Post Office.  Long lines, yet they recently raised the prices.

I think it's mismanagement often.  I have friends who are long-time post office employees.  They are getting their contracts bought out (early retirement).

Post office is hiring part-time people.  So many packages and things are stolen by...guess who?

It's the same everywhere.  My trash company ust raised their rates notifying us that they're charging for sending paper bills.

My friend was very upset.  She said there are still people who don't have computers to go search out their bills.

Gotta go, getting too depressed.....ugh!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Many of our local stores are taking out more and more of the full service registers and replacing with the self serve.

What gets me upset, and I've actually walked out of a store and left a full basket, is getting to the checkouts after 9am, with a heaping large cart of groceries, and no full service registers open. 

Some of our stores used to have full size belts on some of the self serve registers, so having a full cart or even two was no problem to process, but now they have taken those big ones out, and have the tiny little self check out stations, where you can't even fill four bags on the counter space provided, and moving them off, causes the machine to lock up (thinks you are stealing or something) and you have to wait for help.

One morning, I had a full basket and had to use those tiny self checks, and the employee who watches those register had to come and unlock my terminal five times, because I had so many groceries, there was nowhere to put them, and moving them messed with the register.

The next time I went in and found no full service register open after getting a cart full, I simply left it and walked out. 

If they are going to make us do the work, they are going to have to give us the space to process large orders. 

Oh, this is such a pet peeve of mine.  I refuse to use self check out when I have a full cart.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not used the self check out as yet... but, after reading these threads I will try them next time I go to the store. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Good, moral people don’t ‘leave’ a full cart of groceries (any retailer)

just because they’re having an adult tantrum.  You return everything

in the cart to the original place. If anything, it’s just bad karma.