Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart to close 154 stores in US

[ Edited ]

I often wish that we had a Walmart nearby.  But, I'm only recalling years ago when many/most of the tops of the circular racks had signs:  'Proudly Made in America'.  I would just love to walk around and shop there on my way to somewhere else.  (I still have several all cotton navy Summer pants that I bought there.)   ......... Anyway, I haven't kept up with all of their new policies.   Too bad.   I sure miss those Made in America signs.  ..... (I'm only guessing that sometimes the newer executives take over a company and don't follow the original founding fathers and mothers' long term plan(s).) 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@milkbone wrote:
Trusted Contributor

There are no Walmarts near where I live.  One is an hour away, the other, also about an hour away, is about to close because that city, Oakland, established a minimum wage which Walmart does not want to pay.

I don't fault people for shopping there, there are a lot who are on a tight budget.

I used to live in the Bay Area( SF East Bay)

Many years ago the City of Danville said YES to a Costco......The city of Sam Ramon said NO to Costco. 

SO.......Danville puts the NEW Costco on the Sam Ramon and Danville BORDER.....LOL.

San Ramon is thirty minutes from you.

All the San Ramon people proudly GIVE their TAX money to Danville !!!!!!  LOL

What a comedy it was to watch.

Look for San Leandro(next to Oakland) to build ANOTHER Wal-Mart on the Oakland San Leandro BORDER :-)

Or Hayward, maybe Alameda, or another store in Richmond, Albany, El Sobrante.

I was there when the Oakland Hills had their massive fire.

I was there when the earth quake smashed the freeway.

I was SHOCKED when very very very RICH Pleansanton built a WalMart many years ago.......MILLION DOLLAR HOMES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

The closing of WalMart will HURT the Oakland SCHOOLS and all the people that ride the public bus.

http://abc7news.com/business/oakland-minimum-wage-increase-may-be-behind-walmart-closure/1160210/

Oakland kids lose...WalMart will build another CLOSE CLOSE by.

@milkbone

I see nothing in the article about schools losing.  If I missed it, please point it out.

If you mean to imply schools will lose because of what the city gets in taxes from Walmart, I don't think it will make much of a difference.  Oakland has changed radically in recent years.  Many new businesses have moved in and quite a few areas are upscale now.

I suspect THAT has a lot to do with why Walmart left.

There is a similar effect in San Francisco, which is increasingly upscale.

Respected Contributor

I suppose the very wealthy would feel embarrased to walk into a Walmart but honestly the products they sell are no different than Target and hundreds of neighborhood grocery stores across America.  

Valued Contributor

@truffle wrote:

What if find odd is how some can put down Walmart but have no problem shopping at Target, TJ Maxx, Sam's Club or Costco.  You really think there's much difference? They're all the same to me.  After seeing numerous articles of clothing on the floor at TJ Maxx, I will never go into one of those stores ever again.  I saw many women shoving and grabbing at the racks for their size.  They were not dressed in high end clothing like those who condemn Walmart do!  LOL! 

Costco and Walmart are worlds apart. The TJ MAXX stores in MY area are clean and well-organized. I've NEVER seen clothes on the floor there or the customers grabbing clothing and shoving anyone.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Noel7 I see.  I was only referring to the type of customer because that is usually what is targeted/complained about by those who hate Walmart but I get ya.  

I can't speak for all areas, @truffle, but, in the Bay Area, even the wealthy shop at Target.  The goods are trending more upscale than they used to be, also.  They have a new section of the store that caters to that look.

I don't know where Target is going.  My daughter read an article today  about the changes in their beauty products.  They will be offering a line directly from France, one said to have a cult following.  And Target is launching their own line of nail polish.

Respected Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

What if find odd is how some can put down Walmart but have no problem shopping at Target, TJ Maxx, Sam's Club or Costco.  You really think there's much difference? They're all the same to me.  After seeing numerous articles of clothing on the floor at TJ Maxx, I will never go into one of those stores ever again.  I saw many women shoving and grabbing at the racks for their size.  They were not dressed in high end clothing like those who condemn Walmart do!  LOL! 

Costco and Walmart are worlds apart. The TJ MAXX stores in MY area are clean and well-organized. I've NEVER seen clothes on the floor there or the customers grabbing clothing and shoving anyone.

I admit that Costco, a big box store would be different from Walmart but not so sure about Sam's Club.  People are people wherever you go.  I personally just concentrate on what I need to fill up my shopping cart.  

Honored Contributor

it is sad that some of them are closing. they are closing a walmart in baltimore city and i know a lot of people are upset about it, both customers and employees. it is a walmart express. it is the only one closing in our entire state.  i have a walmart supercenter nearby. i am the kind of customer that walmart LOVES......go in for $30 worth of stuff and come out with $300 worth of stuff. i could spend hours at that store. i try not to go more than every other month!

our supercenter also houses a bank, a nail salon, a subway, another fast food place, and more. it is always packed and open 24 hours.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

walmart-tattoo.jpg (480×288)

<3 Walmart!

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I admit that Costco, a big box store would be different from Walmart but not so sure about Sam's Club.  People are people wherever you go.  I personally just concentrate on what I need to fill up my shopping cart.  

I thought Sam's Club is a Walmart, as in Sam Walton.

No?

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I thought Sam's Club is a Walmart, as in Sam Walton.

No?

Yes but the point I really want to convey is I feel comfortable shopping anywhere whether it's at a Walmart or at a Neiman Marcus.  I don't want to miss anything and no one will stop me by their petty snobbery.