Esteemed Contributor

Walmart to close 154 stores in US

[ Edited ]

For the article listing the stores:  Click

Even if you don't patronize WM, this makes a huge statement about our economy. Couple that with more significant losses in the stock market today and it looks like a rough stretch is coming again. My worry meter has gone up a little.

The stores include Express stores, SuperCenters, regular Walmarts, Sam's Clubs, and Amigos.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart to close 154 stores in US

[ Edited ]

Thanks for posting this @MaggieMack.  Can you try posting the link again?  It took me to a blank page.

Edited to say never mind.  I found an article.  http://www.kcci.com/news/walmart-says-its-closing-154-stores-in-usa/37454210

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, should be working now!

Honored Contributor

Thanks.  I did a search and found the  article.  I'm glad to see there aren't any stores in my area that are closing.  I do shop at Walmart for household items that are cheaper there than at the grocery store.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I think our economy is being affected by the world's economy.  With the stock market dropping again, yeah, I agree I think we are in for more rough waters. 

Honored Contributor

Of the 154 stores, 102 are Walmart Express.  Walmart is abandoning the Express format, which isn't a big surprise.  The other 52 are a mix of supercenters, Sam's Club, and Neighborhood Markets.  To me this seems mostly re-evaluation of business properties, rather than an economic statement.  This year, Walmart plans to open more than 300 stores (globally, I think).

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr, I hope your assessment is correct!

Respected Contributor

Maybe with closing those stores they could put the money into  cleaning crews for the stores in my area. When they first opened they were beautiful and now I shop elsewhere. The stores here are roach motels! Dirty and disgusting!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Walmart provides jobs for a lot of people in small towns.   This could really hurt the economy and cause hardship.   Every store represents several hundred jobs. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Of the 154 stores, 102 are Walmart Express.  Walmart is abandoning the Express format, which isn't a big surprise.  The other 52 are a mix of supercenters, Sam's Club, and Neighborhood Markets.  To me this seems mostly re-evaluation of business properties, rather than an economic statement.  This year, Walmart plans to open more than 300 stores (globally, I think).

It seems like the Express stores aren't profitable so they're closing them and opening more SuperCenters.

"Walmart said that it's still sticking to its plan announced last year to open 50 to 60 supercenters, 85 to 95 Neighborhood Markets and 7 to 10 Sam's Clubs in the U.S. during the fiscal year that begins Feb. 1. Outside the U.S., Walmart plans to open between 200 to 240 stores." 

link ~ http://www.cbsnews.com/news/walmart-to-shutter-269-stores/