Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart to close 154 stores in US

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U wrote:

I feel bad when anyone loses their job. But I have no pity for the people who run Walmart. I refuse to shop there because they treat their employees terrible.

Here is a link to the lawsuit where as they made employees work off the clock and employees sued. Employees won this case in PA. I happen to know an employee who went to court for this (and if you google more about Walmart more will show up). http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/morning_roundup/2014/12/pa-supreme-court-affirms-151-ruling-...

Also I don't shop there because we live in the country but the one closest to us is near the city and it is a dump. Target is like a mile (if that) away from Walmart and Target has an entirely different store as in clean, and the employees at Target here (and I guess everywhere?) have to clear background checks and it seems they have better employees. IMO shopping at Target as a whole is a much better experience than Walmart.

I don't judge where anyone else shops, but its my choice not to go to Walmart.

@Shorty2U I agree with a lot of what you said (don't know about each stores respective employees I think that has to do more with training than background checks).....And I think there are LOTS of companies that don't treat employees right, and that includes the corporate world too not just retail.

BUT I do think the quality of the store merchandise at Target is a bit better. (There are exceptions---clothing wise I think they are about equal, as are the national brands-- although Walmart has items made by national manufacturers exclusively for them sometimes --- like my Eureka vacuum clearner this model is only at Walmart and was cheaper than other models)...And as I said I DO like Walmart's Better Home & Garden brand.  However, the Target stores seemed to better organized and atmosphere more eye pleasing as far as the way the merchandise is displayed and type of merchandise seems a bit more upscale....The Walmarts and Targets near my area have always been clean and tidy. 

One thing I have noticed and here's where I think training kicks in..... I have ALWAYS found the Target employees to be polite and ask if they can help, without you even asking, and the cashiers friendly....but have not always encountered the same at Wal Mart.....I remember one time in particular, my sister and I were looking at boxed battery operated cat toys in the pet department and the one my sister was interested in was at the bottom of the stack so we undid the stack of boxes to retrieve the one my sis wanted....we were in the process of returning the remaining boxes in a neat stack and up marches a gruff WalMart employee ....and she shouts, "you better put those boxes like you found them, I just spent a long time straghitening up that area"!!!!  I replied "Maam when you interrupted us that was exactly what we were in the process of doing!!!"......And as we left the area, I shouted to my sister,  "that employee was so rude, her name was  ........"  I didn't report her, but said that just to scare her (but I probably should've reported her, even if she thought that, she should've kept her thoughts to herself and never spoken to customers that way)....

Another time, a Wal Mart cashier was having a tiff with another WalMart employee and was grouching and complaining all about the other person all the while he was ringing up my merchandise.

BOTH Wal Mart employees were not very professional!!!..... These are just some of the reasons I prefer Target over WalMart....and I think SOME of their prices are now about equal on some things and Target will now match prices on certain items too...

https://corporate.target.com/article/2015/09/price-match

The stores I find extremely messy are the Ross chain---they look like a disaster area and are dirty and very messy.......I find Marshalls, TJ's, Home Goods always neat and tidy too and like to shop there too--- great variety and always see something new---QVC could learn a thing or two from them! ....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@zelda girl wrote:

Walmart sells Valsic products.

Yes they do.

Now made in Poland (and other foreign countries).

perhaps there are no agricultural incentives to farmers in the US to factory farm mass quantities of  cucumbers!

Super Contributor

Respected Contributor
SPURT

Here's a real interesting battle that Walmart is waging on the grocery store front with Texas contender, HEB.....

http://www.expressnews.com/business/article/Grocery-WarRivals-H-E-B-and-Walmart-battle-for-6358783.p...

So I think Walmart's store closing is them picking and choosing their battles....

we could not read the story you linked

Back in the late 70's HEB fought OTHER food people from coming to San Antionio

Back then it was Albertsons, Handy Andy, Piggly Wiggly, Food Fair, Deluxe and ALL the new warehouse club membership stores.

What HEB did, was close their stores for maybe a week in San Antonio, HAVE the VENDORS change the PRICE TAGS...all to COST. They did this for a long time. Several months

Only the rural HEB stores stayed at regular prices

Customers RAN to HEB for months.

I went to school with Howard..of HEB   LOL

San Antonio for decades was a military town, FIVE military bases, five commissaries

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

What if find odd is how some can put down Walmart but have no problem shopping at Target, TJ Maxx, Sam's Club or Costco.  You really think there's much difference? They're all the same to me.  After seeing numerous articles of clothing on the floor at TJ Maxx, I will never go into one of those stores ever again.  I saw many women shoving and grabbing at the racks for their size.  They were not dressed in high end clothing like those who condemn Walmart do!  LOL! 

Costco and Walmart are worlds apart. The TJ MAXX stores in MY area are clean and well-organized. I've NEVER seen clothes on the floor there or the customers grabbing clothing and shoving anyone.

I admit that Costco, a big box store would be different from Walmart but not so sure about Sam's Club.  People are people wherever you go.  I personally just concentrate on what I need to fill up my shopping cart.  

I thought Sam's Club is a Walmart, as in Sam Walton.

No?

Walmart and Sam's Club are the same company.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, I'd heard but thought someone was mistaken.  I do know that all K-Marts will be closing.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The article says that 102 stores are walmart express stores that opened as an experiment in 2011.

I think walmart has a history of closing stores after 15 or 20    years at a location then opening a new store nearby and then they can pick and chose which of their old employees they will hire at the new store.

walmart can afford to do whatever it wants.

Super Contributor

O WELL, I shop Walmart in my area (there are 4 of them within 12 miles of me) twice/month, to purchase food items that I can't find anywhere else. I don't have any closings near me, although there is the Main One that SHOULD be closed - it is disgusting.Smiley Mad

Trusted Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I often wish that we had a Walmart nearby.  But, I'm only recalling years ago when many/most of the tops of the circular racks had signs:  'Proudly Made in America'.  I would just love to walk around and shop there on my way to somewhere else.  (I still have several all cotton navy Summer pants that I bought there.)   ......... Anyway, I haven't kept up with all of their new policies.   Too bad.   I sure miss those Made in America signs.  ..... (I'm only guessing that sometimes the newer executives take over a company and don't follow the original founding fathers and mothers' long term plan(s).) 

There are a lot of American products at Wal Mart, and the prices are great.  Many will have our flag on the front.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

What if find odd is how some can put down Walmart but have no problem shopping at Target, TJ Maxx, Sam's Club or Costco.  You really think there's much difference? They're all the same to me.  After seeing numerous articles of clothing on the floor at TJ Maxx, I will never go into one of those stores ever again.  I saw many women shoving and grabbing at the racks for their size.  They were not dressed in high end clothing like those who condemn Walmart do!  LOL! 

Costco and Walmart are worlds apart. The TJ MAXX stores in MY area are clean and well-organized. I've NEVER seen clothes on the floor there or the customers grabbing clothing and shoving anyone.

Both are drowning in things that are made elsewhere so they're not different in that sense.

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

Yes but the point I really want to convey is I feel comfortable shopping anywhere whether it's at a Walmart or at a Neiman Marcus.  I don't want to miss anything and no one will stop me by their petty snobbery.  

Well, then, we have that in common.  I don't care what other people think, either.

But I don't equate caring about the mistreatment of employees as snobbery.  A lot of people used to boycott because of that.  From what I've read, Walmart has increased their minimum wage since then.

Their wages have always been fair, mine certainly were, and they're one of the few retailers that offers benefits.  The people that stay for years will be making great salaries because of the annual increases.