Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart to close 154 stores in US

@terrier3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lila Belle

ITA!  

I always giggle when I read the Walmart Bashers responses.

Greater than zero chance the 'awful', 'trashy', 'filth' Walmart they visited was in their household zip code.  It's a clear sign they're describing their own neighborhood.  Oops.

I visit the West Plano Walmart which have hardwoods, a wine section..very upscale....though it's an upscale $$$ neighborhood.  The Target across the street looks the same...upscale.  The parking lot looks like a luxury foreign car dealership! 

I live in an upscale city neighborhood, There are NO Walmarts here - nor will there ever be. Same with some of our best suburbs too have no Walmarts - they refuse to allow the stores - which are well known for gobbling up local businesses.

That's true...but we're Texas...lots & lots of elbow room!  

And we're New York State - we value people's livelihoods and local businesses...and aren't afraid to spend a few cents extra to buy local!

You can "gussy" up a Walmart and put in hardwood and chandeliers - it's like putting lipstick on a swine.

GOOD ONE! 100% AGREE.

Valued Contributor

I wish WM wouldn't try to follow the 'Starbucks business plan' -  a store on every corner, and then a smaller store in the parking lot of another store.

That being said, however, I treat WM like some people here treat Logo, SK, and SG....I don't like it! I complain about it! I trash it with my friends! But I still shop there.  

Trusted Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lila Belle

ITA!  

I always giggle when I read the Walmart Bashers responses.

Greater than zero chance the 'awful', 'trashy', 'filth' Walmart they visited was in their household zip code.  It's a clear sign they're describing their own neighborhood.  Oops.

I visit the West Plano Walmart which have hardwoods, a wine section..very upscale....though it's an upscale $$$ neighborhood.  The Target across the street looks the same...upscale.  The parking lot looks like a luxury foreign car dealership! 

I live in an upscale city neighborhood, There are NO Walmarts here - nor will there ever be. Same with some of our best suburbs too have no Walmarts - they refuse to allow the stores - which are well known for gobbling up local businesses.

That's true...but we're Texas...lots & lots of elbow room!  

And we're New York State - we value people's livelihoods and local businesses...and aren't afraid to spend a few cents extra to buy local!

You can "gussy" up a Walmart and put in hardwood and chandeliers - it's like putting lipstick on a swine.

I'm in NYS too. And also the home to the worlds biggest Walmart!

Esteemed Contributor

Business practices? Any specific ones you wish to share with us? I know kids of 2 of my friends that work at one of the 2 stores in our area, and they seem pretty happy with their jobs at Walmart.

To patronize or not patronize, everyone makes those same choices.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'll admit that I shopped there once at Christmas. I wanted to get the Better Homes & Gardens platter & salad plates. They are well made, excellent quality, inexpensive and sell out FAST. I put homemade cookies on them and gave them as presents.

I ordered two platters and 12 plates online.

Boy, was I surprised to see that they would charge $76 FREIGHT to send ONE $16 platter to my house!!! Target ships free (and 5% off) if you use a Target card.

I picked the option to get the plates at a local store - 12 miles away.

My one and only local Walmart experience.

No wonder they are hurting for business...their online sales system is out of date.

Respected Contributor

i live in a "food desert"  which means i need to drive a distance to buy healthy food. its chic i suppose to dump on WM. but that poster who says WM imports workers - could it be becuase they are in a very high rent area?  movie stars, malibu and mansions area?

for grocery sources we have aldi's, WM, stop & shop, shaws, and a couple local chains.  WM doesnt play games with their pricing like the chains do. aldi is good for pantry items.   i do not buy deli anyway,  it is packaged high sodium and unnecessary.  i buy mostly fresh produce and fish. WM fruits and veg are pretty decent here because they have a quick turn.  WM is always busy and  checkput  the lines are long on weekends so i avoid shopping then. but all the registers are open plus self-chek

Honored Contributor

Although I rarely shop at Walmart (or  even Target, for that matter), it is more due to the fact that they are not convenient for me to get to than anything else, and also because I usually only eat organic and other more "specialty" type items (like unsalted or no salt added products) which are either limited or altogether missing at these two stores. However, I've been to some disgustingly filthy walmarts and some really clean and nice walmarts. It definitely depends on the area! 

I find it odd that people are judging people based on where they get their groceries, lol. Really? Aren't we all just trying to save some money? How have we gotten to a point where where one shops is a testimonial to the type of person they are? If you come over to my house and eat dinner with me or used my bathroom and wiped your butt with my toilet paper, you would not be able to tell if I bought my groceries from Market of Choice or Walmart so who cares? The same Charmin Toilet paper bought at Walmart isn't any less soft than that which was  bought from Whole Foods and food is not any more or any less tasty.

Oh and just an FYI to those shopping shamers, you do realize QVC is often stigmatized too, right? Yet you most likely shop here but, at the very least, you are hanging out on their forums...  Smiley Wink Just something to think about. 

Respected Contributor

How odd- Wal Mart was the first store where I could find no salt added or unsalted canned products. It took my grocery store over a year to start adding a few 'no salt added' items to their shelves. 

Contributor

Walmart sells Valsic products.

Highlighted
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.