Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart to close 154 stores in US

[ Edited ]

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

Their stock price and profits have been falling steadily because many people refuse to shop there due to the poor way they treat their employees.

Costoco and Trader Joe's provide living wages, health insurance and benefits...Walmart CUT health insurance for anyone working less than 32 hours a week - knowing full well that most PT employees are assigned 24 hours a week or less. They got no warning either, since it was based on 2014 hours and was instituted in Nov. 2014 for January 2015. My son worked there PT even after grad school because he is a freelancer and needed insurance. 

He quit after that and got marketplace insurance and went into freelance TV and film production full time. It was the best thing that could have happened to him - it got him off the "crutch" of working somewhere for health insurance...but most of his fellow employees depend on their Walmart jobs to support themselves and their families and they were devastated.

That is when their stock prices began falling - when employees started letting the public know what was happening there and the general public discovered that saving a few cents on a can of soup might actually be hurting their neighbor.

Although I would like to believe otherwise I think most people don't give a horse's behind about how employees are treated. In light of recent events the realization that we are a very selfish society has just sunk in. 

@Say Nay Amazon has been in the news a lot for the way it's treated their employees too....funny I don't see the big Amazon backlash ......(not really a Walmart fan, but it's funny how one company gets bashed and another can get away with it)....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@milkbone wrote:

Wal-Mart bashers, please give us a list of all the stores that Wal-Mart replaced and you want to come back.

You know

1) Woolworth

2) TG&Y

3) Gibsons

How much of our ONLINE purchases has closed local business's? (Amazon)

We need also to start a list of people posting on iPads or ANY PC or CELLPHONE that was made in CHINA :-(

We can add, TV,s appliances.

Remember the outrage when Made In China label made people MAD. Not any more !

@milkbone I'll add WINNS variety stores your list---with family & friends we had a mantra, "if you need it, you can always find it at Winns".....their employees were helpful and courteous too---good quality merchandise & good prices!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I went to a Walmart ONCE 20 years ago....it was such an awful atmosphere and experience, ( the people, the filth). I never went back again.   I would not miss them at all if they went out of business. 

Ditto. I also went ONCE a while back. Trashy store and the people are a LOL!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

A lot of well-respected, popular and just plain nice posters on this forum have stated they shop at Walmart and I wouldn't call them trashy.

@Lila Belle

ITA!  

I always giggle when I read the Walmart Bashers responses.

Greater than zero chance the 'awful', 'trashy', 'filth' Walmart they visited was in their household zip code.  It's a clear sign they're describing their own neighborhood.  Oops.

I visit the West Plano Walmart which have hardwoods, a wine section..very upscale....though it's an upscale $$$ neighborhood.  The Target across the street looks the same...upscale.  The parking lot looks like a luxury foreign car dealership! 

Esteemed Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

For the article listing the stores:  Click

Even if you don't patronize WM, this makes a huge statement about our economy. Couple that with more significant losses in the stock market today and it looks like a rough stretch is coming again. My worry meter has gone up a little.

The stores include Express stores, SuperCenters, regular Walmarts, Sam's Clubs, and Amigos.

I didn't realize the "rough stretch" had ended. When it comes to things over which I have little to no control? My optimistic even keel meter seldom moves.

Stock market! I have always preferred the "1 bird in the hand is better, than a maybe, 100,000 in the brush". Watched the SOTU a few days ago and sounded like all is well. But I could have misunderstood.

When it comes to even the very large businesses, if it costs more to operate? A lot of people lose their jobs not get a raise in pay. When the bottom line gets too low the lowest incomes do not go up, but jobs can get a lot more scarce.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lila Belle

ITA!  

Greater than zero chance the 'awful', 'trashy', 'filth' Walmart they visited was in their household zip code.  It's a clear sign they're describing their own neighborhood.  Oops.

I visit the West Plano Walmart which have hardwoods, a wine section..very upscale....though it's an upscale $$$ neighborhood.  The Target across the street looks the same...upscale.  The parking lot looks like a luxury foreign car dealership! 

I live in an upscale city neighborhood, There are NO Walmarts here - nor will there ever be. Same with some of our best suburbs too have no Walmarts - they refuse to allow the stores - which are well known for gobbling up local businesses.

Respected Contributor

I love Walmart and try to do most of my shopping there.  Even when I slip into local grocery stores in the area, they seem to be competitive on some products, which is another plus having Walmart in the area.  I read comments sometimes about how Walmart treats their employees unfairly, and that makes me angry.  I know numerous Walmart/Sams employees who are so appreciative for these jobs.  They get angry too about all that union propaganda making them look bad.  I believe Walmart is only regrouping here, but some of it has to do with the economy.  I agree with the OP that we should all be a little worried about what's going on in the economy.  We are being told one thing and seeing the reality of another.  Makes me want to get back in bed and cover up!  Ugh. 

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lila Belle

ITA!  

I live in an upscale city neighborhood, There are NO Walmarts here - nor will there ever be. Same with some of our best suburbs too have no Walmarts - they refuse to allow the stores - which are well known for gobbling up local businesses.

That's true...but we're Texas...lots & lots of elbow room!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lila Belle

ITA!  

That's true...but we're Texas...lots & lots of elbow room!  

And we're New York State - we value people's livelihoods and local businesses...and aren't afraid to spend a few cents extra to buy local!

You can "gussy" up a Walmart and put in hardwood and chandeliers - it's like putting lipstick on a swine.

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I went to a Walmart ONCE 20 years ago....it was such an awful atmosphere and experience, ( the people, the filth). I never went back again.   I would not miss them at all if they went out of business. 

Ditto. I also went ONCE a while back. Trashy store and the people are a LOL!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

A lot of well-respected, popular and just plain nice posters on this forum have stated they shop at Walmart and I wouldn't call them trashy.

@Lila Belle

ITA!  

WRONG - OOPS.