Respected Contributor

Re: Walmart to close 154 stores in US

[ Edited ]

I guess they never opened the Express format here in Tucson, or at least i've never seen one.  We have the Super WM's & Neighborhood Markets & I've shopped in both & the ones I've been in have been clean. 

I guess this town doesn't have the target demographic for lots of Sam's Clubs, as there's only one Sam's Club here, but 3 or 4 Costcos.  I had a membership to both Sam's & Costco when I moved here 10 years ago, but gave up Sam's, since I'm only 1½ miles from a Costco.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Their stock has fallen 30% in the last year.

Some speculate this move is in response to having to pay their retail employees a few cents more.

Their average Superstore in the US is 178,000 sq ft and their customers no longer have discretionary $ to spend.

I haven't shopped at a WM in years.

Shoekitty said

Well pay back is b-----!  They have treated the communites they move into like cr#p since Sam Walmart died.  Believe me they promise the towns everything, sign their contract and fail to go through with most of it when the store is half built.  They refuse to pay their share like the rest of the big stores.  They will fail to put up the parking requirements, easements, pay for roads going into their store (which most stores do) and give back.  They are awful.  Their lawyers are high paid, ruthless, and they will fight to the end so other towns won't follow suit and fight them as well.  it is no wonder many upscale and environmentally conscience towns forbid them in their towns. I won't get into their wages.  The Walmart that wormed  their way into the next town over from us, has to get workers from 30 to 40 miles away as the people in the town the store is in can't afford to work their as the pay is so low.  And no, they do not always hire local, or buy local either.  They put so much into the Walmarts overseas they over extended, and people are starting to see the damage their stores have caused, and go elsewhere. hey deserve everything they get.  JMHO.

If people want to shop there it is their right, and I don't condemn them for it.  But not me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The sad part is many businesses will fail or be totally hurt when the Walmarts are closed, as in some towns they are the "cowbell".  They bring people to town to shop.  They were warned to slow down, but CEO wouldn't listen.  Bad advice.

Here is a Walmart story.  It is a Pickle Story about Vlasic.  What happened to Vlasic happens to thousands of those who sell or have sold to Walmart.  If you do not comply with Walmart you can loose everything.  The American people went for the deal, but there is a reason business is sent overseas, 

http://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I guess they never opened the Express format here in Tucson, or at least i've never seen one.  We have the Super WM's & Neighborhood Markets & I've shopped in both & the ones I've been in have been clean. 

I guess this town doesn't have the target demographic for lots of Sam's Clubs, as there's only one Sam's Club here, but 3 or 4 Costcos.  I had a membership to both Sam's & Costco when I moved here 10 years ago, but gave up Sam's, since I'm only 1½ miles from a Costco.

Same for Phoenix.........the only "express" stores are the WM "Tire & Lube" places.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I went to a Walmart ONCE 20 years ago....it was such an awful atmosphere and experience, ( the people, the filth). I never went back again.   I would not miss them at all if they went out of business. 

Ditto. I also went ONCE a while back. Trashy store and the people are a LOL!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

A lot of well-respected, popular and just plain nice posters on this forum have stated they shop at Walmart and I wouldn't call them trashy.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Their stock has fallen 30% in the last year.

Some speculate this move is in response to having to pay their retail employees a few cents more.

Their average Superstore in the US is 178,000 sq ft and their customers no longer have discretionary $ to spend.

I haven't shopped at a WM in years.

Their stock price and profits have been falling steadily because many people refuse to shop there due to the poor way they treat their employees.

Costoco and Trader Joe's provide living wages, health insurance and benefits...Walmart CUT health insurance for anyone working less than 32 hours a week - knowing full well that most PT employees are assigned 24 hours a week or less. They got no warning either, since it was based on 2014 hours and was instituted in Nov. 2014 for January 2015. My son worked there PT even after grad school because he is a freelancer and needed insurance. 

He quit after that and got marketplace insurance and went into freelance TV and film production full time. It was the best thing that could have happened to him - it got him off the "crutch" of working somewhere for health insurance...but most of his fellow employees depend on their Walmart jobs to support themselves and their families and they were devastated.

That is when their stock prices began falling - when employees started letting the public know what was happening there and the general public discovered that saving a few cents on a can of soup might actually be hurting their neighbor.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a reason there is a website devoted to peopleofwalmart.com

Some of those stores are a mess all the way around.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Super Contributor

Wal-Mart bashers, please give us a list of all the stores that Wal-Mart replaced and you want to come back.

You know

1) Woolworth

2) TG&Y

3) Gibsons

How much of our ONLINE purchases has closed local business's? (Amazon)

We need also to start a list of people posting on iPads or ANY PC or CELLPHONE that was made in CHINA :-(

We can add, TV,s appliances.

Remember the outrage when Made In China label made people MAD. Not any more !

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@milkbone wrote:

Wal-Mart bashers, please give us a list of all the stores that Wal-Mart replaced and you want to come back.

You know

1) Woolworth

2) TG&Y

3) Gibsons

How much of our ONLINE purchases has closed local business's? (Amazon)

We need also to start a list of people posting on iPads or ANY PC or CELLPHONE that was made in CHINA :-(

We can add, TV,s appliances.

Remember the outrage when Made In China label made people MAD. Not any more !

Vlasic pickles used to be made in America - now their main plant is in Poland and they buy their cukes from Europe.

My cousin was a lead mechanical engineer there - he had the sorry job of setting up the Polish factory and training the foreigners to take over USA jobs.

Walmart forced them to lower production costs and going overseas was the only way possible to keep costs at a level acceptable to Walmart.

Even their 4th of July T shirts are made in foreighn countries - like Afghanistan!

Walmart is the largest retailer in the world - their price squeezing went a long way to the USA losing jobs.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

Thanks for posting this @MaggieMack.  Can you try posting the link again?  It took me to a blank page.

Edited to say never mind.  I found an article.  http://www.kcci.com/news/walmart-says-its-closing-154-stores-in-usa/37454210

From the source above.

It doesn't seem to be the econmy, it's the competition and their apparently failed smaller stores.  That's capitalism.

"The announcement comes three months after its CEO Doug McMillon told investors the world's largest retailer would review its store fleet in amid increasing competition from all fronts, including from online rival Amazon.com.

In the U.S., 154 locations will be closed, most of them, 102 stores, are small format stores called Walmart Express, which were launched as a test program in 2011.  Part of the closings are 23 Neighborhood Markets, 12 Supercenters, seven stores in Puerto Rico, six discount centers and four Sam's Clubs."

This is true, This was on the news two months ago.  But prior to that Walmart implemented higher wages which has changed how they did business to pay for those higher wages.  Besides getting rid of people at the top of the workforce, they have been hitting vendors up for even deeper price cuts.  All of this has been in the news too.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-31/economics-101-wal-mart-hikes-minimum-wages-prepares-fire-10...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-10-26/hail-mary-time-wal-mart-vendors-pushed-brink-smaller-suppli...