Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walmart self check-out only?

If my Wal-Mart goes to all self-checkouts, they will lose my business.  I know it is eventually coming to this everywhere but as long as I have other options, I'll go elsewhere.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

When I first began driving there were local gas stations that still pumped gas, washed windshield, checked tires and oil if asked. Customer service has changed over the decades. As someone mentioned -- get reaArey for it.

The self check out area would need to be remodeled to handle full cart items and lines would most likely back up if shopper is unloading, checking out, bagging and putting items back in cart. Then put bags in trunk of vehicle and unload and put away at home. If you have a large order, what a tiresome ordeal that would be. Enjoying the idea of my grocery pick-up service more and more.  

Will check-out clerks be one of those occupations that will diminish over the next decade? The employment angle concerns me.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

When I first began driving there were local gas stations that still pumped gas, washed windshield, checked tires and oil if asked. Customer service has changed over the decades. As someone mentioned -- get reaArey for it.

The self check out area would need to be remodeled to handle full cart items and lines would most likely back up if shopper is unloading, checking out, bagging and putting items back in cart. Then put bags in trunk of vehicle and unload and put away at home. If you have a large order, what a tiresome ordeal that would be. Enjoying the idea of my grocery pick-up service more and more.  

Will check-out clerks be one of those occupations that will diminish over the next decade? The employment angle concerns me.   

@jeanlake  Attendants still pump gas in NJ. I have never pumped gas in my life.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I am old school, I like to checkout with a human being! I am not confident in my ability at self checkout, I'll only do it if I have to and when I only have a couple of items. I also feel this takes jobs away from people who need one, usually there is only one worker at the self checkout to help if you need it.

This is me.  I want someone to do the work. I do not want to do it.

Trusted Contributor

My local Wal Mart Marketplace only had self checkout, and the lines were beyond long.  I see that again, and I'm walking out.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

I like it occasionally especially if one only has a few items. I dislike having to look up produce and weighing it. So many Apple varieties,  for example .

Esteemed Contributor

Never used Walmart's system, but if the software is good and the customers are used to doing it, it is fast.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ  That's right. Daughter recently moved to Newark / Jersey City due to work transfer. She mentioned she was surprised -- first time anyone pumped gas for her. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Walmart is testing a store with self check-out only. No cashiers.  They will increase this model if this one is successful. The article didn't mention the location. The WM near me has 28 cashier checkout lanes......and I have never seen more than three open....the self check-out area has six spots. The experimental store will mean everyone bags their own stuff....even if they have a huge basketful of items.  Do you think their experiment will work and we will be losing even more chances of a live person checking our groceries?

@lovesrecess   The store is in Fayetteville, Arkansas and is being tested to reduce contact while the COVID-19 issue is still ongoing.

If successful, they may continue with other stores.

However, there will still be "hosts" at the front who will check out for customers who ask for it, so it doesn't seem as though it will be only self-check out and nothing else.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I do not shop at Walmart....and if self checkout is all they use, I never will shop there