Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart self check-out only?

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have never used self check out....so how does this work when you have codes for vegetables.....and  when you have coupons...

There is a keypad on the screen that you use to input codes.

I hate self-checkout.  It takes away jobs.

Respected Contributor

aldi's needs to get self checkouts that is one of the reasons I don't like shopping there.

It would be interesting to know if the people who don't like self checkouts ever worked as cashiers.  I would bet they haven't.

Honored Contributor

When I dont have many things to check out I dont mind. But with a full cart No Thank  You Woman Frustrated

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

Saturday was the first time that I had actually gone into Walmart and not relied on their grocery pick-up service. I only go inside there to shop every six weeks and my order is large. I waited for the cashier's lane. It didn't take any longer than usual. 

I don't like the self check-out lanes. Produce, which I have a lot of, is difficult. I appreciate an option. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a big WM shopper (average $230 at least weekly) and I hate self checkout especially for big orders.  Last month, DH and I had a particularly large order and all lines were very long so we opted for self check.  At the very end, with my packages piled high, a WM employee pointed to my checkout screen and said "what's that?" to an under $ 5 item which rang up but didn't display item.  Soon 2 more employees were there and DH and I had to literally UNPACK our cart (20minutes) and they never figured out what item "problem" was.  I was angry, so as soon as I got home I called WM manager and demanded a $10 gift card for my unnecessary experience (I got the gift card) just because WM can't enable their employees to make even a tiny independent decision.  My only other choice for most shopping is Safeway, period.  If WM goes to all self check I won't shop there, period (I'll do only Safeway and online).

Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

There are always plenty of complaints and reservations whenever a store does anything new.  I remember a long time ago,when they went to scanning of UPC codes.  There was a unroar because the unit price was going to be on the shelf, not on the item itself.  People got used to this, and we will get used to checking our own items too.  Because we have to.  

People hate change, and will rail against it, and fight it tooth and nail, until  they are forced to adapt.

Then they see that it isn't as bad  as they had feared, and they get use to the new way of doing things.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.