Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Walmart self check-out only?

Walmart is testing a store with self check-out only. No cashiers.  They will increase this model if this one is successful. The article didn't mention the location. The WM near me has 28 cashier checkout lanes......and I have never seen more than three open....the self check-out area has six spots. The experimental store will mean everyone bags their own stuff....even if they have a huge basketful of items.  Do you think their experiment will work and we will be losing even more chances of a live person checking our groceries?

Respected Contributor

Re: Walmart self check-out only?

[ Edited ]

Our grandchildren will tell their children there used to be folks who checked out your groceries and free bags.

Just like I can tell my grandchildren now that I remember in the last 10 yrs someone checked out the groceries, a second person packed them, and a third person took them to my car.

p.s. I only want to self-check out.  I hate it when I have to go through a line these days.  Just more exposure and someone handling my stuff and all those before me.

Respected Contributor

A variation of this will probably work. We had something called scan,bag and go until the pandemic hit. You used a small device to scan and bag your items as you shopped. I only used it when buying a few items.

At Sam's Club, I use their app to check out as I shop. I really like it because it eliminates having to wait in line to check out.

Respected Contributor

I wouldnt like this at all. Sometimes I use the self check but rarely!

Honored Contributor

For me it is a pain in the patootie when you have multiple items.  One or two is ok.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I am always in a line of people that refuse to use the self checkout.

Those poeple need their jobs!

The self checkout always refuses something & I have to wait on someone to come & put in their code, so that I can get on my way.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, the wave of the future.  More and more stores are doing this.  

Honored Contributor

This idea wouldn't be good for senior citizens, the handicapped, parents with children with them, etc.  I still use a checkbook and my Walmart self checkout doesn't accept checks.  Could it create a law suit for discrimination against handicapped people?  If you have a lot of groceries, you will need another shopping cart to fill as you scan from out of the full cart.    Time will tell... oh progress...

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Walmart is testing a store with self check-out only. No cashiers.  They will increase this model if this one is successful. The article didn't mention the location. The WM near me has 28 cashier checkout lanes......and I have never seen more than three open....the self check-out area has six spots. The experimental store will mean everyone bags their own stuff....even if they have a huge basketful of items.  Do you think their experiment will work and we will be losing even more chances of a live person checking our groceries?

I do not like this idea.  i think self check out should be for 15 items or less.  i would hate to have less than 10 items and have to wait for someone with a basket full.  Stores still need real cashiers.  

Esteemed Contributor

It was reported that they would have cashiers available to help or do it for you if you wished.  Those counters have very small belts so large order will be difficult.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.