Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walmart's two day free shipping....really?

@Mominohio wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Maybe, like Amazon, different items comes from different warehouses, so it isn't really realistic to expect all 14 items to shipped in one big box.

Also, it will take two days to ship once the items actually leave the wearhouse.

It isn't two days from the moment the customer hits "submit" on the order form.

It is supposed to be two business days from hitting the submit button (as long as you order before 2pm). I ordered late night Monday, which would qualify for the 2 pm deadline on Tuesday. Add two business days and you get Thursday.

I also got a confirmation email stating my order would arrive by Thursday. It wasn't until I got a shipping email that it showed only two items had been shipped.

So I will see if everything (or anything) shows up by the end of today. I followed their rules (hey they made them up, not me) to the letter. Now let's see if they uphold their end of the bargain. The day isn't over yet!

Today is only Wednesday.  You should be looking for your order tomorrow.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

I will stick with Amazon Pantry.

They are expert at this.

Walmart?  eh. Not so much

Does Amazon still have an annual fee?

I was avoiding fees. 

And I'm no fan of Amazon in general. They have messed up a few orders for me, including never getting the order (they said it was delivered to the address in Kansas that I requested...I don't even know anyone in Kansas) and I had to make three calls and wait several months to get the refund on that order. 

I like that I can return items to walmart locally if something is wrong with them too, Returns through Amazon require more work and wait to get processed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only Amazon Prime has a fee.

I'm a huge fan of Amazon. Many, many orders with no problems.  The one time I had a return, it was handled efficiently and politely.  The wait time for a refund is negligible. 

Different strokes.  I believe Amazon has set a very high bar for other on-line retailers.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio amazon also offers free shipping on orders of qualifying items totalling $35 or more.  But to get free 2-day shipping specifically, with no minimum order, you do have to pay the annual Prime membership fee.

If WM really did have free 2-day shipping, they'd be a step ahead of amazon there...but it sounds like the jury is still out on that.  I hope you get your stuff when you're supposed to!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I can't imagine the OP expected all 14 of her items would ship 2-day shipping? Yeah they supposedly qualified but 14 items?? Thats an awfully huge order to be cross about them not honoring their 2 day shipping promise. Woman Surprised

You are kidding, right? If they say they ship for free, and you get it in two days, wouldn't it make sense that it would be easier to get to one single address, 14 items, than two items to seven different addresses?

Quantity should not matter on this (unless it was hundreds of items, then maybe they should have an issue there). Especially a small order of 14 items. 

This program was in response/competition to Amazon prime pantry as I understood it. Who orders food or household items one or two at a time? If you are placing an order, most people will be making the order count, and ordering a number of things. I thought fourteen items was a rather small order.

If this is the way people are going to restock their pantry and household supplies, I can't imagine people ordering just a couple of things at a time. There is a minimum $35 order to get that free shipping in two days, so ordering household goods to fill that minimum amount is going to be more than a couple of things per order.

I'm wondering if they were really ready to roll out this promotion, or if it will simply fail because they can't/don't follow through with what they are offering. 

I think the core issue, as so many have said re Wal-Marts in general is which Wal-Mart sends them out. If it's a fairly local or regional store or warehouse that sends orders, and that store doesn't have good management or organization, everything that store does will reflect the poor management, including the 2-day shipping.

In other threads, people have also been split on great/not so great and many people have had packing/packaging issues. Amazon's warehouses employ people who do nothing but pull stuff off shelves & package it up (after training) all day long. No one knows where the Wal-Mart stuff "usually" ships from, who packages it, if they have any training, and whether Wal-Mart provides proper boxes and packaging.

It's not going to be good for them until it's consistent.

I have a friend who uses the grocery pick-up at store all the time. She likes it, but says sometimes the substitutions are rather "out there" and the quantity you think you've ordered might not be what you get. She ordered six bananas (as they were listed) and got six bunches of bananas (not listed).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I have used the Walmart 2-day free shipping and my items arrived in 2 days as stated. I just placed an order this monrning and my item is due Friday. So far I'm satisfied.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Marp wrote:

I've tried it twice and it will be a long time, if ever, before there is a third.  As mentioned packaging is poor and packing is even worse--over-sized, flimsy boxes, too much weight, too much/little filler to prevent movement.

The first order contained two jugs of cat litter.  One jug was placed in a box with other items.  The second jug arrived a day later with nothing more than a shipping label attached.

Last order also contained two jugs of cat litter.  Only one was received.  In place of the second jug were five 6-packs of single serve bottles of juice.  No response when reported so instead of the $8 cat litter I am keeping the $20 in juice.

@Marp

Great to hear input from someone with experience. I was considering ordering cat litter eventually through this, as that is one of the heavy things I hate to have to lift multiple times in and out of carts and cars when shopping at brick and mortar stores. 

I think if someone perfects this free couple or even three day shipping, with lots of choices, and keeps the minimum order low ($35 is a good price point in my opinion), with no annual fee, it will really take off. 

So many disabled, elderly, mothers that have to load up several children, busy career folks, rural residents that live many miles from stores etc. are a huge customer base that will eventually come around to this way of shopping. 

I'm giving it a whirl and see how it goes. It is new and maybe they will work the kinks out, and maybe it will be a big failure. Just have to wait and see. I have to admit it sounded too good to be true.

@Mominohio, my instincts tell me Walmart would do better with some items than they do with bigger/heavier item like cat litter.  My reasons for ordering cat litter are in line with yours.  Also, I suspect they have a problem with multiples of the same item.

That said, I will be going back to Chewy.com for future cat litter and pet foods.  Chewy has free shipping with $49 and $4.95 flat rate for under $49.  They also offer autoship at a discounted price similar to Amazon.  Chewy gets things done correctly and their customer service is top notch.

ETA: For the pet items I've ordered Chewy's prices are about the same as Walmart and better than current Amazon prices.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

It takes time to pull the individual items in the order, and to package them. 

That is not done instantaneously.

Also, it's not like UPS is there to take the package the split-second that the package is all wrapped up, either.

That's why it's two days from the moment the package leaves the wearhouse and is on the truck.

Sorry @Plaid Pants2

You have this one wrong. According to their website it is absolutely two business days for all orders placed before 2 pm.

It has nothing to do with more time to pull and pack orders. Ordering on Monday through Wed. before two pm will have your order at your door in two days. Weekends and holidays are the only time extending the arrival time.

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Marp wrote:

I've tried it twice and it will be a long time, if ever, before there is a third.  As mentioned packaging is poor and packing is even worse--over-sized, flimsy boxes, too much weight, too much/little filler to prevent movement.

The first order contained two jugs of cat litter.  One jug was placed in a box with other items.  The second jug arrived a day later with nothing more than a shipping label attached.

Last order also contained two jugs of cat litter.  Only one was received.  In place of the second jug were five 6-packs of single serve bottles of juice.  No response when reported so instead of the $8 cat litter I am keeping the $20 in juice.

@Marp

Great to hear input from someone with experience. I was considering ordering cat litter eventually through this, as that is one of the heavy things I hate to have to lift multiple times in and out of carts and cars when shopping at brick and mortar stores. 

I think if someone perfects this free couple or even three day shipping, with lots of choices, and keeps the minimum order low ($35 is a good price point in my opinion), with no annual fee, it will really take off. 

So many disabled, elderly, mothers that have to load up several children, busy career folks, rural residents that live many miles from stores etc. are a huge customer base that will eventually come around to this way of shopping. 

I'm giving it a whirl and see how it goes. It is new and maybe they will work the kinks out, and maybe it will be a big failure. Just have to wait and see. I have to admit it sounded too good to be true.

@Mominohio, my instincts tell me Walmart would do better with some items than they do with bigger/heavier item like cat litter.  My reasons for ordering cat litter are in line with yours.  Also, I suspect they have a problem with multiples.

That said, I will be going back to Chewy.com for future cat litter and pet foods.  Chewy has free shipping with $49 and $4.95 flat rate for under $49.  They also offer autoship at a discounted price similar to Amazon.  Chewy gets things done correctly and their customer service is top notch.

ETA: For the pet items I've ordered Chewy's prices are about the same as Walmart and better than current Amazon prices.

I  just switched to Chewy this past week and the items came in two days, intact and great prices!

Someone recommended them...Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Maybe, like Amazon, different items comes from different warehouses, so it isn't really realistic to expect all 14 items to shipped in one big box.

Also, it will take two days to ship once the items actually leave the wearhouse.

It isn't two days from the moment the customer hits "submit" on the order form.

It is supposed to be two business days from hitting the submit button (as long as you order before 2pm). I ordered late night Monday, which would qualify for the 2 pm deadline on Tuesday. Add two business days and you get Thursday.

I also got a confirmation email stating my order would arrive by Thursday. It wasn't until I got a shipping email that it showed only two items had been shipped.

So I will see if everything (or anything) shows up by the end of today. I followed their rules (hey they made them up, not me) to the letter. Now let's see if they uphold their end of the bargain. The day isn't over yet!

Today is only Wednesday.  You should be looking for your order tomorrow.

Sorry @CrazyDaisy, I meant to type Thursday instead of today. 

I have an email today that shows only the two items shipped, and on schedule for Thursday. Perhaps they will ship the other items from somewhere closer today, I will get notified and still get them by Thursday.

I wonder where their warehouses actually are and just what the logistics of this program really involves. 

Honored Contributor

I love chewy.com for dog food,and supplies.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.