Respected Contributor

Re: Walmart's two day free shipping....really?

@Mominohio wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Mominohio amazon also offers free shipping on orders of qualifying items totalling $35 or more.  But to get free 2-day shipping specifically, with no minimum order, you do have to pay the annual Prime membership fee.

If WM really did have free 2-day shipping, they'd be a step ahead of amazon there...but it sounds like the jury is still out on that.  I hope you get your stuff when you're supposed to!

I'm hoping this works too. I'd love to have this as a fee free option to online quick ship shopping (say that three times fast!)

I don't hate Walmart like a lot of people do. I understand the anger at the loss of many local small businesses when Walmart comes in, but I never hear anyone say the same thing about Target or other large retailers like Lowes and Home Depot when they drive out small business. 

It is what it is. People who can afford to shop local and more expensive will when they can get what they need/want. I know I do. Some local some bigger chains. 

@Mominohio, I also wonder about the same thing (bolded above). People blame Walmart but no one says anything about Target or the others. I shop them all. Whoever has the best deal gets my money.

Respected Contributor

Another endorsement here for Chewy. Fabulous service, swift deliveries, never a snafu with an order, and usually competitive prices.

I'd been using Jet, now owned by WM, for cat litter (42 lb Scoop Away for about $12), but they're no longer stocking that size. WM changed its $50 floor for free shipping to $35 after the Jet acquisition, and I thought it had more to do with matching Jet's policy than aping Amazon, who rolled theirs back, too.

@Mominohio, I hate to say this, but I've had the unpleasant experience of WM deciding that I was going to pick up certain items in my order that were never marked as pickup only, and I never indicated I wanted to pick up. It was a hassle for me, and while I think they would have mailed them after holding them for a week, I resented them doing this. I cannot imagine them shipping bleach, for example. The listings of cat litter I've looked at clearly state are pickup only, although that may vary by location.

Another negative about WM--which I still use, although more selectively--is the fact that they now plaster very sticky, sizable labels with your name and other data on the product itself. The label was stuck to the use instructions on the carboard package of a pair of garden shears I bought, and the instructions came off with the label. I returned the shears. The labels also took the printing off a bottle of toner I'd bought when I removed it. I don't know why they do this. If Amazon can organize their shipping, surely WM can do it without vandalizing our goods.

I'll be interested to know how your deliveries work out.

Respected Contributor

I'm very pleased with Walmart and have had nothing but a positive experience with them -- ordering, pricing, packaging, delivery.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

It takes time to pull the individual items in the order, and to package them. 

That is not done instantaneously.

Also, it's not like UPS is there to take the package the split-second that the package is all wrapped up, either.

That's why it's two days from the moment the package leaves the wearhouse and is on the truck.

@Plaid Pants2, but it's not.  They advertise 2 days from the time you hit the submit button, not 2 days from the time it leaves the warehouse.    I don't think the OP is expecting anything other than what Walmart is claiming they will do.  If they can't do it, they shouldn't offer it.

Why is that such a hard concept? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest

Not to hijack the thread, but here's another vote for Chewy.  I have been ordering from them for several years and get my kitty food in one day.

As to Walmart, I have a love/hate relationship with themCat LOL 

I have three stores within 30 minutes of my house, so I do go into the stores.  But stuff is not always in stock, so I order it online. 

Their website is a pain in the neck, but generally, their shipping is all right.  It is impossible to search for anything without getting a million non-related items.

Not sure I've ever gotten anything in two days, but didn't order anything with that expectation.  I'll have to pay closer attention next time I order.

Honored Contributor

I've quickly scanned the replies, and it seems like Walmart can't compete with Amazon at this time.

I read on this board, that Walmart was going to try to compete with Amazon with two day free shipping.  I ordered a beauty item and qualified.  Shipping took five days, because there was postage due on my order.  I could have had it on day 4 but I wasn't home when USPS came by.  The carrier came to my door on day 5 and told me there was postage due...$5.68.   I gave him a check for that amount and got my package.  Yes, I called Walmart and got a refund.  But not only was the shipping delayed, but this was something I know I don't want to deal with again. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last month after seeing the Walmart commercial with Sam Cooke singing in the background, I gave in and started ordering form Walmart. And I'm so glad that I did. I looked on their website and started ordering baby items for my expectant granddaughter. She and her husband requested organic other specific baby items. (Toys R Us/Babies R Us have a huge mark up on their things) I never was a WS but after llooking on their website, I noticed that they carry the same items as other retailers. (

Some things were carried by WM and some were private vendors, the WM items did arrive within two via FedEx while the private vendors things came within seven days. At no time did any of my purchases arrive later than schedules or damaged. In fact The Q and HSN should copy their S&H tracking because it's up to date minute by minute.

I didn't feel very well one week in and I ordered non perishable food items, juice, paper goods, health and beauty products which all arrived unscathed. I even ordered two gallons of Arizona green tea. All glass bottles or jars are taped securely around the tops to prevent leakage. Believe me when I say that I've ordered everything from soup to nuts and delivered to my door.

Several days ago I needed a few things, ordered them online and picked them up later that day before work, it can't get any better than this for me because I hate shopping.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

I ordered 6 items from Walmart last night. I don't care about the 2 day delivery --- as I'm not in a hurry. Today I received an email from them that 5 of the products will be delivered by Friday (I'm sure I'll receive some by tomorrow) I'm impressed that delivery is FREE when spending over $35. In the past, I've had items packed in separate boxes and received one or 2 days apart. If I went to Walmart (which is 5 minutes from my house), I would have spent at least an hour shopping - and trying to compare prices, etc. On-line shopping is the BEST - I like to compare products, prices and read the reviews. I know I saved a lot of money shopping on-line - and many of the products I purchased in the past, are not even in the Walmart store. I always buy doggie shampoo at PetSmart - and spend at least $7. At Walmart, it cost $3 for the oatmeal dog shampoo. Great Prices and Great Service from Walmart.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Last month after seeing the Walmart commercial with Sam Cooke singing in the background, I gave in and started ordering form Walmart. And I'm so glad that I did. I looked on their website and started ordering baby items for my expectant granddaughter. She and her husband requested organic other specific baby items. (Toys R Us/Babies R Us have a huge mark up on their things) I never was a WS but after llooking on their website, I noticed that they carry the same items as other retailers. (

Some things were carried by WM and some were private vendors, the WM items did arrive within two via FedEx while the private vendors things came within seven days. At no time did any of my purchases arrive later than schedules or damaged. In fact The Q and HSN should copy their S&H tracking because it's up to date minute by minute.

I didn't feel very well one week in and I ordered non perishable food items, juice, paper goods, health and beauty products which all arrived unscathed. I even ordered two gallons of Arizona green tea. All glass bottles or jars are taped securely around the tops to prevent leakage. Believe me when I say that I've ordered everything from soup to nuts and delivered to my door.

Several days ago I needed a few things, ordered them online and picked them up later that day before work, it can't get any better than this for me because I hate shopping.

@JaneMarple

Nice to hear a positive report. 

My order is due today. I have received another email this am. stating that the rest of my order has shipped and according to tracking with Fed Ex, that later shipped portion of the order is out for delivery. The two items originally shipped....is not out for delivery.... at this hour anyway.

Will see what happens, and what condition things are in. I'd love this to be a viable option for getting things we need at a great price. I still have a feeling that in the long run, this isn't going to work out for Walmart, but I hope I'm wrong about that. I just don't like Amazon that much.