Honored Contributor

Walmart's prepping for Black Friday

My local Walmart now has ten forty-foot-long shipping containers full of Black Friday/Holiday merchandise out in the parking lot in front of the store. They're not taking any chances on supply chain issues this year. The clerk told me they have additional containers out back also. They may need to build a bigger store for all of the stuff they've got stockpiled. And we've still got about two months until Black Friday, so more stuff could be coming. I'm not sure where they'll put it all, but they've got a lot of stuff set aside already. I think it's safe to assume there will be some pretty big sales.

I bought something at my Walmart many years ago (a Nintendo Wii U maybe?) that they sold from a shipping container out back. You paid inside, they handed you the receipt and you drove around to the back, handed the person back there the receipt and they opened a shipping container and got the item. We could see something like that for Black Friday. They've got quite a stockpile of merchandise built up already.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart's prepping for Black Friday

@gardenman    For anything I know I'd want to buy, I start watching long before Thansgiving weekend because they could start selling before then.   I'm not an Amazon Prime member, but I heard just this morning, they are running special deals only for Prime in the middle of October.   No reason Walmart has to stand back!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman are you sure it's Black Friday stuff?

The reason I ask, my brother-in-law has a second home in PA and the Walmart there just got 5 truck loads of what they had ordered for the summer.  Air conditioners, barbecues, lawn mowers...

Honored Contributor

I don't do Black Friday so I don't care.

Esteemed Contributor

Remember last year Black Friday deals started in October. I'm sure this year won't be any different.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@gardenman are you sure it's Black Friday stuff?

The reason I ask, my brother-in-law has a second home in PA and the Walmart there just got 5 truck loads of what they had ordered for the summer.  Air conditioners, barbecues, lawn mowers...

That's what the clerk told me. They've had everything you would expect all spring and summer, so I don't think they were missing any stock then. Who knows? It's just unusual to see so many shipping containers dropped off in the parking lot. Whatever it is, they're going to have to sell it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Our Walmart had about thirty feet of toys on tables lined up just inside the stores main entrance on clearance. 
I'm thinking this is all of the merchandise that was stuck on cargo ships earlier from last Christmas. 

Honored Contributor

When I worked at Belk, Christmas tree boxes were stacked in the back hallways at this time.

Honored Contributor

Not only Walmart but many stores need to build up their Black Friday because prices are up so high.  People will look for the best prices out here.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

The WM near me is one of the most expensive places in our area. I was in there yesterday looking for a calendar planner that still hasn't come in and they had tons of toys in the front of the store with a clearance sign...cheapest thing I saw was $29 for a tiny cheap-looking doll. No thanks. WM in different parts of the country must be on different timelines. I know someone in Cincinnati who just sent me pictures yesterday of some gorgeous Christmas decor things her WM has...nothing even close to it here...and it's no the end on their website.  Black Friday doesn't interest me anymore...I do all my shopping online and well before Thanksgiving...and get better prices most of the time. I think getting things before Christmas is still not a sure thing if you wait til Black Friday to order.