Respected Contributor

Re: Walmart pickup. Is there tipping?

I've been using WM grocery pickup for about 9 months now.  The first few times I did tip but then one time 2 people helped load my car and I wasn't going to tip both of them so I stopped tipping.  The location I normally went to got so busy that the last time I had to wait 40 minutes to get my order.  Since then I switched to another location near my house and they seem less busy and more one the ball.  

Trusted Contributor

@pinkcrystal wrote:

You can also use the walmart app to check in.

I check in when I leave the house, then 7 minutes later on the app it says it looks like you have arrived, asks for the space number you are in and the color of your car.  I am generally in and out in about 15 minutes.  Week days even faster

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Walmart app tracks me as I drive to the store.  They know when I arrive and then ask which number space I am in and the color of my car.   I have not picked up for several months as I have been shopping early in the morning in person.

I never tipped when doing pick up.  

Maybe different areas and stores have different procedures.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

I tip Wal-Mart pick up all the time and they're happy to get it. I've never not tipped.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D. No tipping.  I went yesterday and it was a big mess.  I think many workers didn't show up for work.  There weren't even parking spots for all those wanting to pick up groceries.   You can check in right before your time but when you get there, call the phone number listed on the signs, tell them you're picking up an order for Mindy and give them the number of your parking space (on the sign).  People were not doing this, and they'll sit there all day.  Most got there before I did, and I got mine and left while they sat.

@Kachina624 @In my area they just started fresh grocery delivery and items are priced the same as in store but their website says nothing about tipping. If I can get delivery for the same cost as pickup than that's great. That's what I'm trying to find out. If I have a $300 order, 20% tip is $60. That's what I wind up with when I order from Instacart at Publix. It's adding up. 

20%!!!!!

whoa!  IMO, that is way too much to tip someone for a grocery pick up or delivery.  They are getting paid for doing their job.  It is not like a wait person who gets very little and depends on tips.

I just hand them a $5 bill usually.

@Carmie @Instacart delivery shoppers from Publix rely on tips. They might get a minimum wage from Instacart or they are considered independent contractors...I don't know. They have to shop, plus drive, plus carry all the groceries to your door and then drive back to the store. They get nothing from the delivery fee attached to an order. The other delivery services and store pickups that don't use Instacart usually use their own hourly wage employees. 

Instacart drivers average $20 + an hour.  It's on their website.  Store employees would have to be paid at least minimum wage, but from researching I have found that they earn about $20 an hour as well if they pick groceries and deliver.

They keep their operating costs low by only doing local deliveries.

I have never had grocery items delivered to my home.  I have, just once ordered and picked them up at the store. I gave the lady who carried the bags to my car $5.  She seemed thrilled she got a tip.  I asked her if she was allowed to accept tips and she said " yes, but most people don't offer,  and it is not necessary."

When I really wanted to use the delivery services, there was a 10 to 14 day wait and about a week wait for a store pick-up.  never mind with that.  I just did my own shopping.

Today, you can get delivery the same day usually.  I would never pay anyone 20% more for delivery.  That's a lot of money for not a lot of work IMO.

I prefer to pick up my own groceries anyway.  I just shop when the stores aren't busy.

@Carmie, it's totally up to the customer regarding tip percentage; of course, one could even skip it.

I happen to think that it is a lot of work and very high pressure.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I use both Walmart pick-up and delivery. No tipping is allowed at pick-up but tipping is allowed with delivery. I just pay and tip on my app. The delivery has really been a God send for me. I never liked Walmart but they seem like they really stepped up their game during the pandemic. I have not been in the store though. I applaud them in Florida for requiring masks in the store. I do feel bad for the workers in the pick-up, they work very hard and are not allowed to take tips. I got to know them when I was going there weekly until recently when I started the delivery.

I like the delivery. The person leaves the groceries by my door and I don't have to have any human interaction. I know that sounds weird but I like it because of the pandemic. 

One of my friends used insta cart at 3 stores and she only received 1 order. I think insta cart has problems but I have never used them. 

I will probably make 1 trip to Publix before Christmas to get some things that Walmart has not had. I was a faithful Publix shopper before the pandemic. 

@conlt 

I guess it depends who the manager is.... Ive used Instacart delivery even before the pandemic and never had a problem and its contactless delivery too, they just take a photo and put it on the app when they deliver....  But friends have had problems with Walmarts curbside...and the HEB grocery store curbside....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We use Instacart and always choose a 15 percent tip. We are members and receive free shipping and reduced service fee (it's very little). Yes, the tip can be high, but I factor it in as part of the advantage of home delivery.

I'm just not interested in pick-up.

@suzyQ3 

Me too...one order I had an especially heavy order and gave the shopper/delivery person a little extra....  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3   It's like working for Amazon except you get tips.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@suzyQ3   It's like working for Amazon except you get tips.

@Carmie, yeah, but you know that when ordering from Amazon Fresh, there is a tip listed at checkout from which you can add or substract or totally delete. When I was occasionally ordering, I would still just figure out 15 percent and change it to that. I would think that their Whole Foods delivery probably does the same thing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

You may not have your phone set to allow the app to use your location. I frequently use the app. You click the text link when you are heading to the store, it launches the app and uses gps to track your progress to the store. When you pull into the spot the map knows you arrived and pops up a box saying looks like you arrived and asks the car color and spot number. 
'I've been to multiple Walmart's in multiple towns, the app behaves the same. If you don't allow the app to track your location, it won't know you arrived and you won't get the arrival prompt.