Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart pickup. Is there tipping?

How is Walmart's ground beef these days? 

Do you think that Walmart has more items available in store that are not available for pickup or delivery? They don't seem to have as many offerings for frozen foods or deli as they used to have in store before the pandemic.

I don't see that HOT rotisserie chicken is available for pick up. It says chilled on the website. Is hot available?

Respected Contributor

As others have already said, NO tipping allowed. I started using their pickup service about a year ago this past summer and that was the first question I asked the young woman loading my groceries into the car. 

She said they aren't allowed to accept tips HOWEVER if we filled out the survey on line and mentioned her name, they get bonuses based on good delivery service.

So if your grocery loader does a good job, as do the shoppers, then fill out that online survey and say so!!  I've asked every employee for their name and they give it willingly-first name only. Some have even had a Walmart pickup slip to hand me with their name written on it. 

My grocery store is now doing what they call drive-up pickup. Their people aren't allowed to accept tips either. It would be like when the person who bagged your groceries also took them out to the car for you-no tipping allowed. One guy told me he could be let go for accepting tips or written up. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I use both Walmart pick-up and delivery. No tipping is allowed at pick-up but tipping is allowed with delivery. I just pay and tip on my app. The delivery has really been a God send for me. I never liked Walmart but they seem like they really stepped up their game during the pandemic. I have not been in the store though. I applaud them in Florida for requiring masks in the store. I do feel bad for the workers in the pick-up, they work very hard and are not allowed to take tips. I got to know them when I was going there weekly until recently when I started the delivery.

I like the delivery. The person leaves the groceries by my door and I don't have to have any human interaction. I know that sounds weird but I like it because of the pandemic. 

One of my friends used insta cart at 3 stores and she only received 1 order. I think insta cart has problems but I have never used them. 

I will probably make 1 trip to Publix before Christmas to get some things that Walmart has not had. I was a faithful Publix shopper before the pandemic. 

@conlt @Thank you. I have been using Publix Instart for delivery. The service has been very good but Publix really jacks up the prices for the items bought on Instacart and they add in a service fee, which can be waived, plus a tip. The prices are sky high and keep getting higher. Walmart is not raising item prices for delivery or pick up. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D. No tipping.  I went yesterday and it was a big mess.  I think many workers didn't show up for work.  There weren't even parking spots for all those wanting to pick up groceries.   You can check in right before your time but when you get there, call the phone number listed on the signs, tell them you're picking up an order for Mindy and give them the number of your parking space (on the sign).  People were not doing this, and they'll sit there all day.  Most got there before I did, and I got mine and left while they sat.

@Kachina624 @In my area they just started fresh grocery delivery and items are priced the same as in store but their website says nothing about tipping. If I can get delivery for the same cost as pickup than that's great. That's what I'm trying to find out. If I have a $300 order, 20% tip is $60. That's what I wind up with when I order from Instacart at Publix. It's adding up. 

20%!!!!!

whoa!  IMO, that is way too much to tip someone for a grocery pick up or delivery.  They are getting paid for doing their job.  It is not like a wait person who gets very little and depends on tips.

I just hand them a $5 bill usually.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

How is Walmart's ground beef these days? 

Do you think that Walmart has more items available in store that are not available for pickup or delivery? They don't seem to have as many offerings for frozen foods or deli as they used to have in store before the pandemic.

I don't see that HOT rotisserie chicken is available for pick up. It says chilled on the website. Is hot available?

@Mindy D 

I only buy their grass fed ground beef. It is good quality and a better price than at other local stores.

Yes, some things are available in store only and that is stated on the items. I don’t buy deli foods so I can’t say on those. I don’t usually buy frozen food either. 

Trusted Contributor

As per Walmart Son (my son who works there) NO TIPPING.

He says that none of the employers mind. Here's why:

1) If you're doing the shopping, it's fun, you get to chat with people and there's no rush

2) If you're the one outside, you're OUTSIDE and just loading groceries into the car. Easy work.

Regarding Publix and delivery at home: Neighbor just did it and was fuming. According to her, the cost was DOUBLE what it would have been had she gone to the store. I had on the radio (spoken REALLY fast) that prices would be higher than those in Publix for the same item. They weren't kidding! Add in the fees and tips....she said never again. Good to know.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@pinkcrystal wrote:

On the app it lets you put the number space you are in and color of your vehicle.  Yes, it does tell them exactly where you are. 

@pinkcrystal.  Mine doesn't, in fact you check in before leaving home so how would you have a space number?  It estimates the length of time it will take for you to get there.

Don't be so contradictory unless you've seen what my store uses.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D. No tipping.  I went yesterday and it was a big mess.  I think many workers didn't show up for work.  There weren't even parking spots for all those wanting to pick up groceries.   You can check in right before your time but when you get there, call the phone number listed on the signs, tell them you're picking up an order for Mindy and give them the number of your parking space (on the sign).  People were not doing this, and they'll sit there all day.  Most got there before I did, and I got mine and left while they sat.

@Kachina624 @In my area they just started fresh grocery delivery and items are priced the same as in store but their website says nothing about tipping. If I can get delivery for the same cost as pickup than that's great. That's what I'm trying to find out. If I have a $300 order, 20% tip is $60. That's what I wind up with when I order from Instacart at Publix. It's adding up. 

@Mindy D 

I read up on Instacart in March and decided I would not be shopping at Publix because of it. I’d been buying more at WM anyway because they carry many of the same items at a better price and offer similar items on other things. The few items I can’t find at WM I can get with grocery pickup at Target (no charge & very good, fast service) or order from Amazon.

I doubt I will ever buy anything from Publix again and, at one time, I bought almost everything there.

I don’t call in at WM - when I park, I pick up my cell and it says “You’re here” and asks which spot I am in. I just select the spot and it says no need to call.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@pinkcrystal wrote:

You can also use the walmart app to check in.

@pinkcrystal.  Doesnt mean a thing unless you call when you get there.  They don't know where you are.

When I check in on the WM App, I'm asked what lane & what color car.

I've done it both ways, there is no advantage to calling.

You can't assume why people were waiting so long.

Honored Contributor

I agree, know the name of your shopper.   There is value in leaving a survey

I got to know one of the shoppers pretty well & he really did a great job for me.

But that was before the pandemic & not during the holidays.

Now all bets are off.

There is also merchandise pickup using the same lanes as grocery at my store.

I couldn't find an ink cartridge for my HP printer on the shelf I went online & purchased it for pickup the next day (go figure)  I was instructed to use the same lane as the grocery pick up.

Worked well for me, the last time I used merchandise pick up I had to go inside, but that was pre pandemic.

@kdgn wrote:

As others have already said, NO tipping allowed. I started using their pickup service about a year ago this past summer and that was the first question I asked the young woman loading my groceries into the car. 

She said they aren't allowed to accept tips HOWEVER if we filled out the survey on line and mentioned her name, they get bonuses based on good delivery service.

So if your grocery loader does a good job, as do the shoppers, then fill out that online survey and say so!!  I've asked every employee for their name and they give it willingly-first name only. Some have even had a Walmart pickup slip to hand me with their name written on it. 

My grocery store is now doing what they call drive-up pickup. Their people aren't allowed to accept tips either. It would be like when the person who bagged your groceries also took them out to the car for you-no tipping allowed. One guy told me he could be let go for accepting tips or written up.