Frequent Contributor

Re: Walmart pickup. Is there tipping?

[ Edited ]

@pinkcrystal   You are absolutely correct.   I check in and notify WM of my parking spot number and vehicle color upon my arrival and they bring my order to me.  I have never called.  I use this service at least once a week.  Love it.  

Respected Contributor

Re: delivery--I always go with the "suggested tip" from Whole Foods.  That is $5 for $35 and $7 for $60.  Those are my only 2 pricepoints--I just use it for fill ins.

Esteemed Contributor

I understand that tipping is frowned upon but not absolutely restricted.  We haven't done pick up in quite awhile, home delivery has been more convenient but I always tipped the pick up people who brought my order to the car.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I use both Kroger and Walmart parking lot pick-ups.  Tipping is not allowed for either in my area.

And yes, the Walmart app asks for your parking space number and the color of your car.  How else would they find you?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Silvy wrote:

You may not have your phone set to allow the app to use your location. I frequently use the app. You click the text link when you are heading to the store, it launches the app and uses gps to track your progress to the store. When you pull into the spot the map knows you arrived and pops up a box saying looks like you arrived and asks the car color and spot number. 
'I've been to multiple Walmart's in multiple towns, the app behaves the same. If you don't allow the app to track your location, it won't know you arrived and you won't get the arrival prompt.

Agree with what @Silvy said.  Maybe different WM's have different procedures, but on the Wal-Mart website, it describes how to use the service, and the app information is what several have described:  Make sure your location and data are on, check in, drive to the store (your phone location is tracked), pull into a spot, your app will come one with the screen that allows you to tell your parking spot number/color of car, and then you're all set.  I wonder if some on this thread are not turning on their location services and/or data?  Anyway, if you check in at home on a computer and don't allow the store to track your phone, you have to call the phone number on the sign at the front of your parking space.

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 7.53.59 AM.png

Respected Contributor

Concerning tipping for pickup.  This is what the website says:

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 7.56.16 AM.png

Respected Contributor

Here is information straight from the website on tipping for delivery.  A tip has automatically been added but can be amended.

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 7.59.21 AM.png

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]
@Kachina624
@pinkcrystal wrote:

On the app it lets you put the number space you are in and color of your vehicle.  Yes, it does tell them exactly where you are. 

@pinkcrystal.  Mine doesn't, in fact you check in before leaving home so how would you have a space number?  It estimates the length of time it will take for you to get there.

Don't be so contradictory unless you've seen what my store uses.

Different stores apparently have different procedures.  At my local Walmart, I check in on the app when I'm leaving work.  When I arrive at the location and pull into my parking spot, the app updates and asks what spot I'm in and the color of my vehicle.  No phone call needs to be made.  

Honored Contributor

I really dislike Walmart.  Always avoid shopping there and have never purchased food there.  Our store is shabby and dirty. So I avoid it.  All of my food is delivered via instacart and course I tip using my app.  Only time go to Walmart is to pick up perscriptions in the drive through.  Since pandemic hit, I've only been to a supermarket twice.  First time was shortly after it began. There were police everywhere there.  The shelves were stripped bare & I could get any bread. A angry mob was there.  We looked around and left.   The second time was recently, (same store) with very few customers.  The hysteria had died down, but no TP, LOL.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@pinkcrystal wrote:

You can also use the walmart app to check in.

@pinkcrystal.  Doesnt mean a thing unless you call when you get there.  They don't know where you are.

When I check in on the WM App, I'm asked what lane & what color car.

I've done it both ways, there is no advantage to calling.

You can't assume why people were waiting so long.

@software.  I've been doing Walmart pick up for over 3 years on a weekly basis.  I know what's on the app and nowhere does it ask what color  your car is or where you're parked.  I think its quite easy to assume why people were waiting.

You may need to reinstall the App, maybe you have an old version

I did a merchandise  pickup about 2 weeks ago, when I checked in, the next screen asks your lane # and color of car.