Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart going to all self check-outs?

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

What's next? Stocking the shelves??

That's making me laugh.

Though I have to admit, a few times I have rearranged things more neatly

on the shelves when I was looking thru for something lol!

It was kind of relaxing at the time😄 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

This  is a rumour going around here in Ohio that starting June 1st they are going to ALL self check-outs.

I heard it from 2 different EMPLOYEES.

Just wondered if anyone else has heard about it in other areas?

@Nataliesgramma 

I have not read every thread, but wanted to share what I know.   Two years ago I was speaking to a manager about the long lines of customers and only TWO actual cashiers open. 

(I was standing in the line at the time and asked an employee to get the manager and bring them over because we customers were disgusted.  I was happy to embarrass him about the lack of Good Customer Service if necessary. Other customers in line were happy to see this taking place, from comments I later received)   

While this was going on, there were FOUR Walmart employees trying to get people from the long checkout lines to come to the self-checkout to show them how to do it. 

The manager came over, politely listened and then implied it was a contest of some sort ... he bragged that (potentially) "in less than six months we'll be the first no-cashier checkout store in the country!".  It seems to be a major goal for retailers. 

Honestly, I got the feeling that they would wear you down if you had to stand in a long line to check out and would allow being led to self-checkout, just to get out of the store.  If you are buying two items, that's ok, but what if you have a full cart?

I think this is just WRONG.   Now they want us learn how to check ourselves out .... What's next? .... They'll expect us to help unload the delivery trucks?    

I speak up about this whenever the opportunity presents itself.   I know I'm not going to change the world, but they should know that many customers DO NOT want to check themselves out.  Providing good customer service is still important no matter what anyone says.

Trusted Contributor

I have been in a Walmart twice in the last year,  smaller ones,  to get my Covid shot.  The first time I waited in line (there were only two lines open) to have an actual person ring up my full cart.  I waited almost 40 minutes in line to get rung up.  

When I had my second shot I also had a cart full.  There was only one line open on a Friday at 6:00 at night and the line was very long.  I did the self checkout.  It is very hard when you are by yourself and your cart is full.  

It would not surprise me if they go to all self checkouts.  I know I will not be back.  When I only go there once in awhile I stock up on things and have a full cart.  It it too difficult to do self checkout.  I would actually pay like a 5% fee to have an actual person ring up my groceries as long as I didn't have to wait 30 minutes in line. 

Honored Contributor

I can't stand self check out.  They tore out 4 regular checkouts at my grocery store and installed self checkout.

Trusted Contributor

I never shop at Walmart unless it is the only option.  If they are taking away the check-out option, will they lower their prices?

Even at Target, in order to get some of the deals, I have to scan the items into my phone. The app doesn't track the total amount, so I'm not sure I'm going to get the deal (when it requires a certain dollar amount).  Why am I doing all their work for a discount??  Can't their computer systems track my purchases as I check out and apply it to the deal??   Seems I am doing all the work.

And get off my lawn!!!! 😁😁😁

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@jeanlake :  Speaking of full carts at checkout:  Last year DH and I had just self checked out a full cart when an employee wandered over and asked about a code with a price on the screen.  I had no idea what it was for so three employees to needed to nearly empty my cart, never I.d.ed random item, no apologies no help rebagging! When I got home I called the manager ( she was located in a store 40miles away!) and demanded a $10 gift card for my trouble (I got it!).

@patbz 

I don't understand ... what was wrong with your order?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 : There was nothing wrong with my order just an odd code on the screen.  Within 5 mins the three employees I think knew this but no employee was empowered to " fix" the non problem and the store manager was actually employed at another store thirty minutes down the road.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Walmarts, all two of them, do have self check outs with lots of help from stand around assistants.  We have less and less actual check outs with cashiers so I imagine the whole thing is inevitable.  Don't have  to pay a machine rising minimum wages, my guess.  

I do see a great opportunity for theft accidental or on purpose.  I do know from talking to security there are cameras everywhere and there is a whole entire room of watchers checking all the camera locations which there are many.  

I guess we will see how this plays  out.  As for me.  I hate self check outs.  I am computer literate but don't like having to scan produce and whatever seems clumsy to me.  In other words I am not all that good at it, have little patience when I am in a hurry and am aware that there are lots of people with no skill to do so. And HECK THEY ARE NOT PAYING ME TO DO IT AND I WILL BE TAKING A JOB AWAY FROM SOMEONE ELSE. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Our Walmarts, all two of them, do have self check outs with lots of help from stand around assistants.  We have less and less actual check outs with cashiers so I imagine the whole thing is inevitable.  Don't have  to pay a machine rising minimum wages, my guess.  

I do see a great opportunity for theft accidental or on purpose.  I do know from talking to security there are cameras everywhere and there is a whole entire room of watchers checking all the camera locations which there are many.  

I guess we will see how this plays  out.  As for me.  I hate self check outs.  I am computer literate but don't like having to scan produce and whatever seems clumsy to me.  In other words I am not all that good at it, have little patience when I am in a hurry and am aware that there are lots of people with no skill to do so. And HECK THEY ARE NOT PAYING ME TO DO IT AND I WILL BE TAKING A JOB AWAY FROM SOMEONE ELSE. 

@bonnielu 

They say they aren't doing that, but I just don't believe them.

Valued Contributor

Walmart will be losing my business if they go totally self check outs.

I am not a Wamart employee..If I have to check out my own stuff and bag my  own stuff..I should be getting an employee discount!..What if I hurt myself.. can I get disability from Walmart? If someone has a medical condition some things are impossible to do without a cashier or someone to bag.

Same goes for "club" stores..I refuse to pay a membership fee for"honor" of me to spending my money!