Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walmart going to all self check-outs?

@Desertdi wrote:

I don't believe you can sell liquor at a self checkout.........

@Desertdi  yes you can. Once you scan it the light comes on and someone comes to check your id. How do I know that lol.

Respected Contributor

Besides frustration with doing the checking, wonder how much walks out?  Wonder if they will start checking carts and receipts.

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

Besides frustration with doing the checking, wonder how much walks out?  Wonder if they will start checking carts and receipts.

Do they still employ door greeters for this purpose?

Honored Contributor

There are two Amazon supermarkets opening up near my house. And I have been told there are not going to be anyone to check you out. The cart is scanned. 

But suspect more and more stores are going that route. Especially after Covid. When entire Department's of Walmart had to be quarantined. 

I saw a sign today outside a Walmart. They are starting employees at $17.50/hour. I can see why there are more and more self check outs.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

There are two Amazon supermarkets opening up near my house. And I have been told there are not going to be anyone to check you out. The cart is scanned. 

But suspect more and more stores are going that route. Especially after Covid. When entire Department's of Walmart had to be quarantined. 

I saw a sign today outside a Walmart. They are starting employees at $17.50/hour. I can see why there are more and more self check outs.

They actually can afford to pay more.  It seems customer service is not their top priority.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't mind self-checkout if I have around 10 items, but when I have a cart full, I don't want to do it myself. Walmart's prices are not that much better to go through the aggravation. I haven't been in Walmart for almost 1 1/2 years and I've done just fine without it. I go to Sam's for a few things that we like and have no problem self checking my 8 to 10 items. My local grocer gets my business for the rest of my groceries since they have plenty of people to check out their customers who have full carts (or close to it).

Esteemed Contributor

Anything I order from WalMart is delivered to my front door. I get food delivery from Aldi's and non perishables, mostly paper products, from Wal Mart. I detest self check-out. It's another example of customer no-service. It's hard enough to find any help in big box stores but having to do the work to give a store my money is beyond my tolerance level. The more retailers engage in this personnel elimination policy, the sooner they'll be  avoided by customers.

Trusted Contributor

What's next? Stocking the shelves??

Trusted Contributor

I'm in Wisconsin, and I haven't heard of it here for our stores.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens though because they have very few check-out lanes open, even when it's a busy time of the week, like on the weekends.

We usually end up checking ourselves out in one of the self check-out lanes. 

We discovered the hand-held scanners that are by each self check-out station.

They make scanning everything so much faster and easier.

On the whole, we are finding it more difficult to shop at our local Walmart.

They are consistently out-of-stock on many of their items, so we pretty much try not to shop there anymore unless there are items there that we can't usually find anywhere else.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

What's next? Stocking the shelves??

I'm sure that's in the works too.  I was in a Walmart months back and there was a machine about 4 feet tall on the floor with a blinking light, moving slowly right along the edge of the shelves.

All i can figure it was taking inventory.  Robots are taking over.