Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart going to all self check-outs?

They just replaced the self-checkout stations at my local Walmart with new ones. These take photos of you while checking out to help limit theft. There's also always a clerk there to assist anyone who needs help. The self-checkout is always faster and easier than the other ones. 

Regarding theft, one of the things I've been told is that the self-checkouts help limit theft as the checkout clerks can't always see the stuff on the bottom shelf of carts when carts are in their line, so people hide stuff there to avoid paying for it. The self-checkout area is wide open and anything on the bottom of the cart is easily noticed by the clerk there.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  Funny you should mention this.  Just last week the Neighborhood Wal-Mart near me went to all self service check outs.  The only cashier manned check out is the service desk.  So there someone would have to wait their turn behind someone buying lottery tickets, cigarettes or returning an item.  And conversely, those people would have to wait behind someone who could potentially have a large cart of groceries to pay for.  🏪

Now at our Wal-Mart Super Center where you could have in your shopping cart a car battery, a pack of men's undershirts and a gallon of milk and everything and anything in between, they still have a combination of self service checkouts and regular cashier staffed check outs.... Although I suppose it could be just a matter of time before this changes, too.  🔠

I personally like and use the self check outs.  I can make sure the price rings up what it is supposed to be easier and I like to pack my own bags. I hate it when they squish my melons.  🍈🍈😅

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

Like anything else there are pros and cons to self checkouts.  I don't shop at Walmart but there are a lot of self checkouts popping up in a lot of other stores too.  I don't mind using them but if they could just master the operation of them as someone else stated.  The constant "non-reading" of certain bar codes and having to wait for someone to help you is a real pain in the butt IMO.  Instead of being quicker, it sometimes takes longer than an actual person checking you out.

Honored Contributor

We rarely shop at Walmart, maybe 2-3 times a year if even that.

If it does go to all self check outs I will go someplace else to spend my money.  I only use the self check outs if I have an item or two, more than that I want a regular check out.

Honored Contributor

I don't believe you can sell liquor at a self checkout.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi 

You can here.  The attendant comes to your station and completes the transaction.  They have to have a birthdate, etc.  I am in Illinois.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart 3 Items - good for you.   I would have done the same.  Customers deserve some service..............

Esteemed Contributor

Costco has added a bunch of self checkout lanes.  The other day, I was directed to one of them.  Then, the guy that directed me there ended up doing all the scanning of my 11 items.  All I did was scan my membership card at the beginning and then my credit card at the end.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Before the pandemic set in, I had begun to use self checkouts often, but,once I limited shopping to twice a month, I preferred to wait for service.

I will go back to self checkout now as long as there are employees stationed in the area to solve problems.

wonder how the cost of theft compares to savings from being able to pay more cashiers?-- maybe not as much an issue as we might think

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also really cannot imagine this happening but if it did, yet another reason why NOT to shop there.

I do not do self checkout anywhere. Stores still need one, two, three REAL people hanging around to help because there is always a problem of some sort. Turns into a time consuming huge hassle at the grocery store especially if I/you have a cart full of stuff.

NO

I will add though, once not too long ago I went out really early one morning just to get a number of errands done. Kroger was one of my stops, ready to check out just before 9AM. None of the registers were open yet, it was all self checkout. I asked the employee on duty at that time why there were no registers open with a real person. She said, not before 9AM, oh wait she said, someone (an employee) was punching the time clock to begin her day and will open a checkout line. I waited for her to put in her cash drawer, then I was the first person she checked out. I thanked her for opening her line.

NO to self serve.