Trusted Contributor

Re: Walmart going to all self check-outs?

[ Edited ]

If they do, my purchases will be severly limited and I will give more of my business to the local grocery store.  I am physically handicapped and am usually exhausted after completing my list (which usually means going from one side of the store to the other side with several stops between).  If I have to then check myself out, take the merchandise to my car, unload it into the trunk, unload the merchandise at home and then put it away, the few pennies I MIGHT have saved by shopping at Wal-Mart will not be worth it.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

The funny part about self checkout the only difference between that and using a cashier, is you are scanning the items and putting them in the bags that's it!.  You still have to empty your cart and put the items on the belt and put your bags back in the cart.   So all you are adding is running it on the scanner and then dropping it in a bag...that's it.  I know there are some that are technology scared and don't want to "look dumb" if they have a problem (which you won't since we all have issues somethimes lol).  And even cashiers have to wait for a manager to come over and clear their register of an error.  

You are scanning your items you know if a mistake is made.  It's a fact that there are mistakes by cashiers and double charges.  Sometimes they catch themselvs sometimes they don't.   I know I will get a bunch of "I watch" or "I always check my receipt".ok, maybe you do but there are plenty of people who don't and it happens.  I also prefer to bag my own items since I find there are some cashiers that have no clue how to bag.  I've had them put all my cans in one bag, then try to double bag it and have the whole thing rip.   Fruits and veggies are easy, even the cashiers have to look up what it is and then press it.  I have found some grab the first fruit or veggie they think it is and have been wrong and I had to call them out on it.  If it's round and orange some will take "oranges"  even if it's a tangerine, clementine or mandarin which have a different price.  Greens confuse them as well.  Sometimes they will ask you but some can't be bothered and just ring up what they think it is.   

Respected Contributor

Hate Walmart- This is too bad because they are eliminating jobs

Trusted Contributor

@LindaSal  Problem is the cashiers have the same problems with bar codes not ringing up and it takes a while before they can get a manager over to assist whereas there is always at least one or two people right there at the self checkout registers to immediately help.  They are stationed there, whereas the cashier has to wait to either get a manager's attention (notice the blinking light on top of their register), call for one, or have someone go get one.  

Trusted Contributor

@patbz  I believe more people would use self checkout if the bags were better.  The best bags are Target bags..  Their bags are easier to open, and hold more.  

Trusted Contributor

@icezeus  I love the Target Red card as well!  Their self checkouts are much better than Walmart's.  I have the Target App on my phone so my card info is on there so I just bring up the app, scan the barcode I get my discount and everything is paid.  So easy!  There bags are soooo much better too!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't read all the replies, but from talking to employees at my local WM, going to self-checkout HAS NOT eliminated any jobs!  In fact, there are more employees than ever as they are keeping associates at the checkout area to assist in transactions.  Their curbside pickup, which is the best thing ever, has really increased in use, too, so a lot of employees are personal shoppers and loading orders.  

One thing people need to keep in mind is that you can shop like normal and fill your cart full.  You go to the checkout area, and when the associate gets to you, all you have to do is tell them that you want them to check you out.  They will lead you to a certain area and do it for you.  I've seen this in action several times at my store--when I'm not doing grocery pickup.  No need for anyone to worry or panic over this.  lol

Respected Contributor

Whenever I go to Walmart, which is a Super Walmart, there is only one checkout cashier,  Two if I'm lucky.  And there are somewhere between 12 - 15 checkout lines never being used.  I do notice that many go to self checkout.  I don't mind doing self checkout if I have only a couple of things but not a cart full.  I've noticed the same thing happening at Kroger.  Only one line with a cashier is ever available.  They really push the self check outs.

Trusted Contributor

@Ainhisg  Thank you.  I have have seen this as well at both of the Walmarts in my area.  One was a handicapped person, and the Walmart associate came over and helped them ring up their items and bag them and put them in the cart, and one was an older gentleman who wasn't certain what he was doing and the associate came right over and helped him out and showed him how it worked and he was grateful.  I understand from alot of the replies, that some feel "it's not their job to ring up their groceries"  or "it's too much work"  or "I'd rather have a real person do it"  problem is, I understand the pain when you have a cart full and feel it's too much work, but all you are doing different is scanning it, and bagging it.  That's it.  That is all the cashier does.  You are still responsible for emptying your cart and putting the bags back in your cart.  I have a hard time understanding the "so much more effort" it takes to go to self checkout.    And alot of those cashiers do NOT know how to bag and you are at their mercy.  And the cashiers have just as much trouble with barcodes not scanning as you do.   What exactly is the "special" service you are paying for with a cashier?  All they do is scan, and bag that's it.  The hardest job to me is emptying the cart lol.  Scanning is easy and I prefer to bag my own since I don't get overloaded bags that way.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkerbell3  Jobs aren't being eliminated just because there aren't as many cashiers.  Those people are doing the job of filling the orders for people who are picking up their orders, bagging them, and bring them out to the cars.   Filling orders to be shipped.  They are doing more stock work, and the cleaning that the whole Covid protocols requires.  And then there are the people stationed at the self checkers there to help.  I still see help wanted signs on the two Walmarts I have in my neighborhood.