Respected Contributor

Re: Walmart going to all self check-outs?

@geezerette wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

An update from my earlier post. A Walmart employee today confirmed that within days my closest Walmart will be completely self checkout. That's at least two in our area and likely just the start. 

Yep, I just heard the same thing this morning when I asked a checker about it.  Ironically we had quite a nice long conversation about it.

She thinks it will be a mess and is dreading it.  Her own mother is already terrified about having to check herself.

This checker said that they will have an employee at each self-check to help.  So she figures in reality she'll still be checking people out.🤷‍♀️

The checker I talked to said she was dreading it too. Our SCO lanes do not have an employee at every register. I guess they will have to step that up. They still will be needing an experienced person taking care of pricing and technical problems. Unless help is available ASAP, I foresee people abandoning items that have messed up or missing barcodes or are not showing clearance prices. Policing the shoplifting scams will be a nightmare. 

@SunValley 

I told this gal that while I would miss the interaction with the checkers, I could (and do) use the self checkout.  But I complained that so many of them are always closed too.  She said that's because they were broken and waiting for the company to come and fix them.  This is worse than not having enough live checkers.  At least they can be called over when the lines get backed up.  

This is going to be very interesting.

I see the closed lane sign for malfunctioning SCO machines all too often. Yes, it will be interesting.

Honored Contributor

I was just in one of my local Walmarts this morning and I asked about this, because I noticed they've installed a large number of new self-checkout stations (which I have to say look really good and are nicely set out).

She said, no, they are not going to all SCO, but that they have few "manned" registers, because they can't get the staff.  She said they are very short-staffed and that they would help anyone at the SCOs who was having trouble or just wanted help.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

I was just in one of my local Walmarts this morning and I asked about this, because I noticed they've installed a large number of new self-checkout stations (which I have to say look really good and are nicely set out).

She said, no, they are not going to all SCO, but that they have few "manned" registers, because they can't get the staff.  She said they are very short-staffed and that they would help anyone at the SCOs who was having trouble or just wanted help.

I won't have any choice as our store is going total SCO. They must have enough employees at my store for online pickup and delivery as the isles are filled with employees fulfilling online orders. I only see a few staff at the of SCO lanes. It's all fine until it isn't. I see stormy weather...

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma GOD help us, let's hope not.  Our closest Wal Mart is 26 miles from my home and we have used self checkouts a couple of times.  There "always" seems to be an issue with someone when we have attempted to use these and wind up going to a actual checkout PERSON. An item won't scan or an issue with their card..........

Trusted Contributor

Our Walmart is undergoing a huge remodel. They will be going all self-checkout. I don't like the idea of completely getting rid of all the check out lanes.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

I just don't get it, if they can pay an associate to stand there and watch people scan items why can't they scan the items for you?  They should have associate lanes for anyone with over 20 items.  I know I will not go to a Walmart that is self checkout only.  I think they will loose enough customers and will eventually put the registers back in.

Super Contributor

I worked at WalMart for a short period of time when I was 19 (30 years ago). There were two employees working in every department at all times. When a customer would ask where an item was, we were to walk them over to the actual item. Friendliness and customer service were emphasized. There were friendly older people at the door, helping to get carts. A few years later when I had a baby and toddler, I loved how the door person had a smile for you, a kind word, and would hold the cart while I got the baby strapped in and toddler settled. I liked shopping there. 

Fast  forward to today and I don't shop at Wal Mart. The last time I shopped there about 5 years ago, I just came to the realization that it was an unfriendly atmosphere and I didn't enjoy shopping there. I had to use the self checkout (God help the mom that had to check out herself plus keep the toddler from crawling out of the cart, etc.) and the woman who was watching gave me a dirty look.  I assume because I was dressed up in a skirt and blouse??  They had also installed cameras with a screen so you could see yourself being video taped. I am aware that they have cameras in the store, but it just added to the uncomfortable feeling. I shop at Target or Meier and order a lot online too. I wish stores had pick up when my four sons were little!  What a time saver!

Honored Contributor

Walmarts are depressing anyway. The workers and customers seem like they/we are there because there is no better option. No one is having a good time and everyone would rather be elsewhere. That's the case for me when I shop at Walmart: It's usually while traveling because one Walmart is the same as any other and they are in every town.

As a complete contrast, I look forward to taking my time shopping at Target. They sometimes have cute little items that make it worthwhile. At Walmart, the decor often has dust all over it. You can tell some of those candles have sat there for years.

All this development is going to do is completely alienate any customers who are not fans of tech. And if you don't like tech, I can't imagine you're going to want to switch to ordering online for pickup either.

I don't think Walmart cares. Like I said, they value neither their workers nor their customers. You're just a number and they expect you do do things for their convenience and profit, not yours. They can easily write you off as a customer for any reason with no damage to their bottom line.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I would never shop anywhere where the only option is self checkout. I'm not employed by them and, therefore, get no compensation for doing it. Also, will the checkers who used to do it get fired or laid off? 

Respected Contributor

I sympathize with anyone who has to use SCO and deal with multiple little ones. In the time it takes one to figure out the right tab for pink lady apples a toddler can dash three isles away.