Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walmart May Be Leading The Way With Products "Made in USA."

@SoonerLater wrote:

Oh PLEEEEEEEZE our most noble Walmart!  They ruined our economy and single handedly ran almost every small hardware store and appliance company and shop (along with many others) in the country into the ground,

China wasn't a big deal in our economy until Walmart imported the cheap krap in the first place.

Give me a break.  Now they are all for USA business?  Well, knock me over with a feather.  Now that's insulting.  

Other companies didn't have to follow suit to do what Walmart did.  Why didn't American companies stay in America?  GREED.  Higher profit margins for shareholders and less quality and cheap goods for privileged USA citizens.  When I say "privileged" we expect to get good products for next to nothing. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

It's easy to talk about, but I prefer actions to words or written scripts.

As far as hoping they find their way home. Not long ago, they were. Now?  Not holding my breath.

@hckynut 

Dated June 2016 in Forbes.  Fact or Fiction.  Some Fact, some Fiction.  While some companies products were being Made in USA, some others were sneaking around and making products overseas. Fraud always rears its ugly head, doesn't it?  They were caught, but Walmart's plans on Made in USA continues and they are investing another $350 million.  So, they aren't just blowing hot air.  

Walmart's Made In The USA Claim: Fact Or Fiction? (forbes.com)

Also see this America at Work Walmart on the internet.  I hesitate putting the link here.

U.S. Manufacturing

At Walmart, we believe in making a difference on the issues our customers and communities care about. We believe we can create more American jobs by supporting more American manufacturing. Jump-starting the manufacturing industry and rebuilding the middle class requires a national effort by companies, industry leaders, and others.

Rightfully so, it should be Walmart, the largest retailer, taking the lead and setting an example.  

Most American companies think of themselves as globalists, no longer loyal to their American customer base who made them successful, so I'm not jumping up and down with glee about the possibility of all returning to the US. 

I don't expect it, but if enough do, and Americans prefer and buy their products, other companies will see no other option than to return. 

Similar to those companies that could no longer compete with the low prices of those that went to China.  They, too, went to China.  

China is no longer cheap as they have been raising their prices over the years and as you know a 25% tariff has been placed on them.  That's another incentive to leave and actually companies have left.  They are using other countries.  While I'm still seeing Made in China labels from QVC, I'm also seeing Vietnam and India, countries never used before.  

In the interim, until the slow process of American manufacturing returns, I'm pleased companies are leaving China.  

@FoxxeeI find that Forbes is reliable source of information, despite it's owner.  It is fact based business and wealth information.  Rupert Murdoch should be proud.

Esteemed Contributor

How can we expect US manufacturing to come back when companies have slithered off to other countries for their needs?  Not just China either. 

When American companies who have international obligations (because they have businesses abroad as well) bring manufacturing back to the USA maybe Walmart and other companies can make good on their promise.

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

For those of you old enough to remember, years ago selling "Made in USA" products was Walmart's big marketing strategy.  

Everything old eventually is new again.

Sam Walton has been turning in his grave for all these years. Maybe now he might get some rest.

@SilleeMee Sam was one of the earliest to make a major importing of Chinese goods common in his stores.  Sam was anything for a buck I am sorry to say. 

Honored Contributor

@SoonerLater wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

For those of you old enough to remember, years ago selling "Made in USA" products was Walmart's big marketing strategy.  

Sam Walton has been turning in his grave for all these years. Maybe now he might get some rest.

@SilleeMee Sam was one of the earliest to make a major importing of Chinese goods common in his stores.  Sam was anything for a buck I am sorry to say. 

@SoonerLater 

With his earliest store he launched an effort to buy and sell American-made products but the efforts were dismissed b/c of the high cost. His mission was to provide low-cost US products but the overseas market was too much competition so he was basically forced to go that route in order to sell at lower prices.  The mission was to save family's money and live better even if that meant selling made-in-China.

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SoonerLater wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@SoonerLater 

With his earliest store he launched an effort to buy and sell American-made products but the efforts were dismissed b/c of the high cost. His mission was to provide low-cost US products but the overseas market was too much competition so he was basically forced to go that route in order to sell at lower prices.  The mission was to save family's money and live better even if that meant selling made-in-China.

@SilleeMee To me that's anything for a buck--and how much is enough?  He virtually distroyed so many small to medium sized rural towns all over America.  He put people out of jobs, moved in so they have no real local economy, and made America a country owned by China.  I have no good feelings about Walmart because of what they did to our small towns. 

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee This is a hot button with me because I can drive all over my state and see small towns where signs indicate buildings where there used to be thriving small businesss that are now vacant and run down empty buildings or junk/ "antique" stores.  

And it makes me very very sad.  And you drive by the Walmart on the outskirts of town. So they came and left nothing for the local folks but a Walmart. 

Honored Contributor

@SoonerLater 

Yes, I know. I see that same kind of thing here, too. Those mom-n-pop shops, which were here before WM, are now closed, vacant and weeds are growing up around their decaying parking lots. But just around the corner there's a gleaming new WM with a brand new set of bright security lights all around their parking lot ready to take your picture.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OMGosh.......For years and years I've been telling people how Walmart used to have many circular clothing racks, and a sign on each rack stating 'Proudly made in America'.  (Or possibly USA)

It will be wonderful (to me) to see this happen again.

Wishing them (and us) well.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are still some mom and pops (if you want to call them that) where I live.  They have valued customers.  To me, they are just small business owners who run their own shops.  There are plenty where I live. 

Mom and pop didn't stand a chance in terms of big stores for more than the reasons some are citing.  Walmart didn't "kill" anything.  If that were true we could say Sears did it years before Walmart did.  Sears Roebuck and company had all you needed.  Household appliances, home services (windows, hot water heaters and installation services).  Clothes, home goods and more.  Small businesses will come and do.  They always have and they always will.  No matter who the big dogs in the industry are.

Anybody remember their F.W. Woolworth's stores?  Did they too, put smaller business out of business?  No they didn't at least not where I live.

Home Depot and Lowes are still thriving.  Big box home stores that cater to trades people and DIY'ers.  There are still small hardware stores around.  When Sears went bust, they started carrying appliances.

Nowadays people expect to be treated a certain way when they spend their money.  They want a good price, plenty of choices from which to choose and a decent proprietor.  Americans have been conditioned to expect the best but balk at the prices. 

Forgot about getting new tires and their Car Services Department (Sears).