Honored Contributor

Walmart May Be Leading The Way With Products "Made in USA."

[ Edited ]

In March, Walmart announced it would make a 10-year, $350 million, up from $250 million in 2013, commitment to purchase items that are made, grown or assembled in the U.S.

Its six priority categories are plastics; textiles (clothing); small electrical appliances; food processing; pharmaceutical and medical supplies; and “goods not for resale.”

Furner, CEO Walmart, U.S.....

"Focusing on these products that are grown, made or assembled in the US will help us with being more dynamic and get to customers in a more flexible way.”

Domestically-produced goods also will be a key component in Walmart’s distribution and fulfillment strategy going forward due to the rapid changes in consumer behavior.

"For those (companies) that meet customer expectations and change with customers, they’ll be successful. And when you don’t meet customers expectations or don’t change with them, you tend to be unsuccessful."

Walmart US CEO: Investments in US Manufacturing Helps Supply Chain – Footwear News

$600 million is not much of an investment for the largest retailer in the US and the world in 8 years, but I don't see other retailers committing anything.  Walmart started "Made in China."  Before that, they were proud their products were Made in USA. 

Like little sheep, U.S. manufacturers and retailers followed Walmart to China.  I'm hoping they, too find their way home.

Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart May Be Leading The Way With Products "Made in USA."

$350 Million over 10 years doesn't seem like much.....in a trillion dollar economy

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

This is a nice start but more companies must realize that our country may be on life support if they do not show more patriotism sooner rather than later.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee    good PR team....notice that word "assembled", let's do better than that.  I'm wishing upon a star for a return to a more productive economy...maybe in a few years.

@Foxxee wrote:

In March, Walmart announced it would make a 10-year, $350 million, up from $250 million in 2013, commitment to purchase items that are made, grown or assembled in the U.S.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Foxxee    good PR team....notice that word "assembled", let's do better than that.  I'm wishing upon a star for a return to a more productive economy...maybe in a few years.

@phoenixbrd 

Yes, I saw that, but for those who have been following along since 2013, they know Walmart has been helping existing small businesses produce products Walmart sells.  Also, they are helping new companies start.

All of this takes time, so I don't expect noticeable change overnight.

If Walmart can buy now from companies already established that assemble products in the US, that's better than made and assembled in China.  

It will take a long time to bring our manufacturing back to the U.S.  Kudos to Walmart for investing in helping to make that happen.    

Honored Contributor

For those of you old enough to remember, years ago selling "Made in USA" products was Walmart's big marketing strategy.  

Everything old eventually is new again.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   Thank you for this information.  Maybe they are reconsidering what made them so successful to begin with....returning to their roots.  Let's hope so!

Esteemed Contributor

The "buy only American made" is old school thinking and outdated. We live in a globally interdependent economy. Many so-called American made items are partially made outside of the US. Wal-Mart's announcement reflects their smart marketing and PR teams; they know their clientele and what messages will appeal to them. We should not fear a global economy. America is up to the challenge. I have confidence in American ingenuity and business acumen. Competition is good, after all. 

Esteemed Contributor

I remember when Walmart first started, their claim to fame was that they sold only Made in America products.  Somewhere along the way, they added products made everywhere else.  I wish they'd go back to the Made in America theme.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Everyone is too used to $3.00 t-shirts made by people earning .50 cents an hour overseas and the major profits going straight to the top.  I have no problem with profit but greed is king now.

Its a start with Wal-Mart's announcement.  I hope they invest in some union made items but unlikely.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth