Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,999
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@PickyPicky3   They changed that a few months ago. It's a mess.

 

I order from Walmart and Costco due to many items not being in stock or because the drive is just too much (plus the heat, the crowds, bleh). Walmart used to be THE place to order everything but now they have restricted what they will allow to be sent vs picked up vs being sent in a separate order. It's no longer cost-effective for us to order the way we used to from Walmart. I'm not willing to play the games or pay extra fees so that's that. 

 

Bit by bit, little by little they take more and more away from each and every person. At what point do you say "Enough!" to corporations? *sigh*


@FiddleDeeDee 

 

That's why I use Instacart, if you sign up for membership there is no fee for particular time slots or delivery---there's a small service fee. AND they even delivered BATTERIES...and yes they will deliver wine and beer...Ive been a member since 2018 and have gotten good service from my shoppers.....

 

With membership included it works out to $14 a month which is worth it to me considering time shopping, waiting in checkout lines, gas to/from the store, and love delivery of heavy items like 25 lbs kitty litter, carton of soft drink, laundry soap etc etc ....If you arent a member there may be a fee for certain popular time slots and a delivery fee....They are also now doing curbside....And our grocery store also offers curbside or delivery too...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,999
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees

[ Edited ]

@Jeanne from VA @FiddleDeeDee 

 

In our city with Walmart they've ALWAYS had very limited cashiers, on a busy day customers were LUCKY to have 3 lines open.....and more and more they are going the self check route...... 

 

The Walmart closest to me has the RUDEST employees---the checkers argue with one another, checkers gripe because they couldnt get the day off so you get "the attitude" and one time an employee "threatened us" about putting the stock back the way it was because she had just straightened out the shelves....one cashier let a cute guy cut in line after he asked her to check the price on a belt he wanted to purchase....and I could go on and on......And this store is in a nice part of town....  Now other Walmarts arent like this, the stores and clean and the employees are friendly BUT still with more self checkouts......

 

Target is much more customer friendly, the employees are very helpful, even if you are browsing they ask if they can help you find something...BUT again more self checkouts....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,833
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees


@Spurt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I think a lot of people are going to be laid off because not coming to the office, they find out you aren't very productive, out-of-sight out-of-mind and they don't need you. 

 

I don't think working from home is going to work out for a lot of people and I feel sorry for them.


@Sooner 

 

We started "work from home" way before the pandemic, the building that we lease is running out of space for workers...... BUT its not all fun and games because our company has developed software to keep track of our every move.....and we must meet certain productivity goals or you're GONE!  (We are an "at will" State which means you can be fired without even giving a reason---of course there's a few federal exceptions that all companies must comply with).  We can work in our PJ's or a bathing suit, unless we have a Zoom meeting...and no driving needed which with gas prices saves us money...those are the PLUSES ++


@Spurt I understand it isn't easy.  I would hate to work from home--I can't imagine it!  I checked with others on things all day and a lot of what I did you can't quantify like working with others to help them out.  It would be difficult I think to even evaluate someone's work in this situation. I don't envy people in the workforce.  

Contributor
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎09-05-2010

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees

I disagree.  Working remote for most is successful.  My husband was commuting into a major city in the southeast.  He already worked remote 2 days a week and Covid changed the workplace.  When his employer asked people to return to the office they also gave employees the opportunity to present their case for not returning to the office.  His case, no team members in his office since they are spread across the country.  He now works from home permanently and on Tuesday, he worked 13 hours!  I too, in a previous job worked remote 3 days a week.  I put in longer days and had to push myself to sign off and have a life in the evening.  I now own my own business and work PT 7 days a week.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,999
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees


@Sooner wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I think a lot of people are going to be laid off because not coming to the office, they find out you aren't very productive, out-of-sight out-of-mind and they don't need you. 

 

I don't think working from home is going to work out for a lot of people and I feel sorry for them.


@Sooner 

 

We started "work from home" way before the pandemic, the building that we lease is running out of space for workers...... BUT its not all fun and games because our company has developed software to keep track of our every move.....and we must meet certain productivity goals or you're GONE!  (We are an "at will" State which means you can be fired without even giving a reason---of course there's a few federal exceptions that all companies must comply with).  We can work in our PJ's or a bathing suit, unless we have a Zoom meeting...and no driving needed which with gas prices saves us money...those are the PLUSES ++


@Spurt I understand it isn't easy.  I would hate to work from home--I can't imagine it!  I checked with others on things all day and a lot of what I did you can't quantify like working with others to help them out.  It would be difficult I think to even evaluate someone's work in this situation. I don't envy people in the workforce.  


@Sooner 

 

Even if you help someone or train someone there's a special code you have to enter and the person you are training better match up with that time too., If you are a minute or two late from signing in from break/lunch you'll hear about it...special code for restroom time...(we nicknamed our company "the prison", but they pay well, and have excellent benefits, and benefits are a rareity these days).....thats why we put up with it....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor
Posts: 393
Registered: ‎04-17-2010

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees


@Spurt wrote:

@Jeanne from VA @FiddleDeeDee 

 

In our city with Walmart they've ALWAYS had very limited cashiers, on a busy day and customers were LUCKY to have 3 lines open.....and more and more they are going the self check route...... 

 

The Walmart closest to me has the RUDEST employees---the checkers argue with one another, checkers gripe because they couldnt get the day off so you get "the attitude" and one time an employee "threatened us" about putting the stock back the way it was because she had just straightened out the shelves....one cashier let a cute guy cut in line after he asked her to check the price on a belt he wanted to purchase....and I could go on and on......And this store is in a nice part of town....  Now other Walmarts arent like this, the stores and clean and the employees are friendly BUT still with more self checkouts......

 

Target is much more customer friendly, the employees are very helpful, even if you are browsing they ask if they can help you find something...BUT again more self checkouts....


Some of our Walmart employees really look like they do not want to be there. We have experienced some occasional and random rudeness, too. We actually travel an hour, once every two weeks, to go to the closest Publix. It is such a pleasure to shop there. They have the nicest and most helpful employees. You can tell they have been trained in giving exceptional customer service. The employees make grocery shopping a pleasure. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,833
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees


@Spurt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I think a lot of people are going to be laid off because not coming to the office, they find out you aren't very productive, out-of-sight out-of-mind and they don't need you. 

 

I don't think working from home is going to work out for a lot of people and I feel sorry for them.


@Sooner 

 

We started "work from home" way before the pandemic, the building that we lease is running out of space for workers...... BUT its not all fun and games because our company has developed software to keep track of our every move.....and we must meet certain productivity goals or you're GONE!  (We are an "at will" State which means you can be fired without even giving a reason---of course there's a few federal exceptions that all companies must comply with).  We can work in our PJ's or a bathing suit, unless we have a Zoom meeting...and no driving needed which with gas prices saves us money...those are the PLUSES ++


@Spurt I understand it isn't easy.  I would hate to work from home--I can't imagine it!  I checked with others on things all day and a lot of what I did you can't quantify like working with others to help them out.  It would be difficult I think to even evaluate someone's work in this situation. I don't envy people in the workforce.  


@Sooner 

 

Even if you help someone or train someone there's a special code you have to enter and the person you are training better match up with that time too., If you are a minute or two late from signing in from break/lunch you'll hear about it...special code for restroom time...(we nicknamed our company "the prison", but they pay well, and have excellent benefits, and benefits are a rareity these days).....thats why we put up with it....


@Spurt Yikes!  I feel so bad for you!!!!  Because I worked for a nut job for a very short time who made me document my time every 15 minutes. He then tried to give me a bad review, until I pointed out I had ALL of my time documented and the work produced so I went to a higher boss and he found other victims.  It's awful to work like that!!!!

 

He was one of those the police were distressed about but HR gave him a couple of chances (back then) and he was eventually escorted out.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,999
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees


@Sooner wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I think a lot of people are going to be laid off because not coming to the office, they find out you aren't very productive, out-of-sight out-of-mind and they don't need you. 

 

I don't think working from home is going to work out for a lot of people and I feel sorry for them.


@Sooner 

 

We started "work from home" way before the pandemic, the building that we lease is running out of space for workers...... BUT its not all fun and games because our company has developed software to keep track of our every move.....and we must meet certain productivity goals or you're GONE!  (We are an "at will" State which means you can be fired without even giving a reason---of course there's a few federal exceptions that all companies must comply with).  We can work in our PJ's or a bathing suit, unless we have a Zoom meeting...and no driving needed which with gas prices saves us money...those are the PLUSES ++


@Spurt I understand it isn't easy.  I would hate to work from home--I can't imagine it!  I checked with others on things all day and a lot of what I did you can't quantify like working with others to help them out.  It would be difficult I think to even evaluate someone's work in this situation. I don't envy people in the workforce.  


@Sooner 

 

Even if you help someone or train someone there's a special code you have to enter and the person you are training better match up with that time too., If you are a minute or two late from signing in from break/lunch you'll hear about it...special code for restroom time...(we nicknamed our company "the prison", but they pay well, and have excellent benefits, and benefits are a rareity these days).....thats why we put up with it....


@Spurt Yikes!  I feel so bad for you!!!!  Because I worked for a nut job for a very short time who made me document my time every 15 minutes. He then tried to give me a bad review, until I pointed out I had ALL of my time documented and the work produced so I went to a higher boss and he found other victims.  It's awful to work like that!!!!

 

He was one of those the police were distressed about but HR gave him a couple of chances (back then) and he was eventually escorted out.  


@Sooner 

 

So sorry to hear that....yep some of these Managers work the employees to the bone, because they want that maximum bonus at the end of the year! .....There was one where so many people went to HR and complained and refused to work for her...FINALLY she was gone! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,646
Registered: ‎10-09-2012

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees

Working remotely has been fantastic! 

 

I worked telework 2 days/wk, then 3 days/wk for four years before the pandemic.  Once 100% telework was instituted all of our internal measurements showed our productivity increased consistently in every quarter of each year.  

 

It's great for us for the reasons already mentioned -- save on gas, eating out at lunch, using up vacation days when sick, etc.

 

I've been able to take several training classes virtually to gain increased skills, and obtain a certification that I probably would not have even tried to obtain because classes were held out of state.  One person on my team just received a promotion in a group that's across the country.  But now she can do the job remotely.  That option was never available before.

 

As far as Self Checkouts in stores, that saves the company money.  Less space being used to get many more customers able to pay and move the in-store traffic along, less employees too.  Let's face it. that's a huge expense and companies trim the fat in salaries wherever they can.  

 

Walmart will not be an isolated incidence.  Many major retail stores have lowered their sales and profit forecasts.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,977
Registered: ‎04-25-2020

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees

The thing about self check out is an increase in shoplifting. Many retailers are finding some customers are doing "the ole one for you, two for me" routine while checking out. Either skipping the scanner on some items or not counting the correct amount when they have multiples of some things, etc.
I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread