Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walmart Lays Off Corporate Employees

[ Edited ]

@Jeanne from VA wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Jeanne from VA @FiddleDeeDee 

In our city with Walmart they've ALWAYS had very limited cashiers, on a busy day and customers were LUCKY to have 3 lines open.....and more and more they are going the self check route...... 

The Walmart closest to me has the RUDEST employees---the checkers argue with one another, checkers gripe because they couldnt get the day off so you get "the attitude" and one time an employee "threatened us" about putting the stock back the way it was because she had just straightened out the shelves....one cashier let a cute guy cut in line after he asked her to check the price on a belt he wanted to purchase....and I could go on and on......And this store is in a nice part of town....  Now other Walmarts arent like this, the stores and clean and the employees are friendly BUT still with more self checkouts......

Target is much more customer friendly, the employees are very helpful, even if you are browsing they ask if they can help you find something...BUT again more self checkouts....

Some of our Walmart employees really look like they do not want to be there. We have experienced some occasional and random rudeness, too. We actually travel an hour, once every two weeks, to go to the closest Publix. It is such a pleasure to shop there. They have the nicest and most helpful employees. You can tell they have been trained in giving exceptional customer service. The employees make grocery shopping a pleasure. 

I just went to Walmart recently.  The customer service was non existent.  One cashier open, long lines, and no manager was in sight.  I said hello to an employee and she just looked at me.  The one cashier that was open did her best to keep the line moving.  People are dopey though....they take 5 minutes looking for their credit card when they could have had that ready during the 20 minutes they were standing in line.

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Looks like Walmart changed its shipping policy.

Tonight I put together a curbside grocery pickup for tomorrow. When I added a shipping package of batteries, it couldn't be included with the pickup order. Walmart required a separate $35 minimum shipping order for free shipping. This has never happened before. 

I'm confused by this statement @PickyPicky3 .  I don't have a Walmart in my area and I shop with Walmart ALL THE TIME and get free shipping when I spend at least $35.00 on items that are marked sold and shipped by Walmart and it is marked 2 day or 3 day delivery.  I get my stuff on time. For years.  Not new.  I get the best price from Walmart on certain things from them.  

I've been doing this for YEARS.  I love it.  My only problem with Walmart is sometimes the things I can get via shipping are not always available and they want to direct me to their closet store to me which is another state.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset    For the past year until last night, I only needed ONE $35 minimum for an order that contained both pickup and shipping items. Last night the website made me have TWO separate $35 minimums -- one for pickup, one for shipping. The website divided my order into two.

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@gertrudecloset    For the past year until last night, I only needed ONE $35 minimum for an order that contained both pickup and shipping items. Last night the website made me have TWO separate $35 minimums -- one for pickup, one for shipping. The website divided my order into two.

That's a shame.  I'm in an area where there is no physical store so I can't take advantage of Walmart+.  I do, however get $35.00 worth of stuff shipped to me for free within 2 or 3 business days.  Walmart, sometimes puts Amazon to shame in terms of price and speed (for me).  I'm only speaking for myself.  I buy certain items I know will cost me less from their dot.com.  I hope it doesn't change for me @PickyPicky3 .  

Waaay cheaper than Amazon most of the time.  They have pricing wars if you shop both places you can tell. 

Respected Contributor

I don't shop as often at Walmart as I used to but it dishearting to hear people will be loosing their jobs.  I will go to Walmart maybe 2-3x  year.  I got fed up with the last 3 or so purchases I made on line.  They were all from third party vendors buts I was reassured time after time I can return it to Walmart.  Each time I did, they told me I had to send it back to the manufacturer via Fed Ex....no wonder there is now a Fed Ex right next to the Walmart return area.  The store wasn't stocked as well or as clean as Target, as this is before Covid.  I was a huge Walmart shopper years ago though.  My husband had an hour plus communte every day to work (back and forth).  Can easily be a 11/2 ti 2 hours on a bad day.  The higher ups that own the company would like to see people returning to the office, but the guy my husband reports to is treating him as remote.  My husband feels he is actually more productive at home, especially since he's not spending as much time in traffic.  My teen daughter just got her first job at a popular clothing store at the mall.  Many times they close early because there is not enough help for the day, just my daughter who is new and a manager to run the whole show.  One day my husband picked her up and saw someone shoplifting.  Just yesterday I picked her up an hour early again because of not enough help.

Honored Contributor

Most of what walmart sells is cheap plastic junk made in China.

There's a move away from buying that stuff. When you don't have money to throw away, you chose to invest it in items you will keep and enjoy for many years. Walmart doesn't sell that and probably never will.

Plus if you really really do want a Chinese plastic bin to corral your hand lotions under your bathroom sink or whatever, you can just go to Dollar Tree or Five Below, and avoid the Walmart one mile trek back and forth across a concrete floor, to get it.

Walmart has no compelling sales proposition anymore. It just has lots of locations.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Walmarts are extemely busy in Reno, what I am noticing is that they have few cashiers and people who do large shopping trips have to self check out.  Not good.  I have also noticed that rarely is there anyone cashiering in the cosmetic dept.  And walmart shoppers are all over the place with their huge carts picking orders for curbside.  It is getting to be quite a hassle to shop there.  I am slowly trying different stores.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@MamaWick wrote:
Bottom line over humans

Companies can't survive by paying unnecessary salaries.

It has nothing to do with loving humans and everything to do with profit levels which IS how a company survives during inflation!

My daughter's company just laid off 65 ppl thanks to this stinking economy.  It happens, and sometime it has to happen.

It is called business.  They re-evaluate which areas are bloated.

There are plenty of jobs out there....hoping those furloughed will find a higher paying job elsewhere.

I'm not a Walmart stockholder. So why should I care about Walmart's bottom line? I'm not a charity.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:
The thing about self check out is an increase in shoplifting. Many retailers are finding some customers are doing "the ole one for you, two for me" routine while checking out. Either skipping the scanner on some items or not counting the correct amount when they have multiples of some things, etc.

The past year or two in CT bags are 10 cents, you can make your purchase and walk out with it in hand or in carriage.  Made stealing very easy.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FatCatinCT wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:
The thing about self check out is an increase in shoplifting. Many retailers are finding some customers are doing "the ole one for you, two for me" routine while checking out. Either skipping the scanner on some items or not counting the correct amount when they have multiples of some things, etc.

The past year or two in CT bags are 10 cents, you can make your purchase and walk out with it in hand or in carriage.  Made stealing very easy.

This is what we call "unintended consequences of policymaking." 

Yes, people can steal a little easier now.  I know that in certain big box stores, you have to show your receipt as the guard stands near the entrance/exit on your way out though.....