Honored Contributor

Re: Wallpaper.....does anyone still have it in their home?

[ Edited ]

A couple of years ago, most people here gasped when I said that there's a strong return of beautiful and elegant slightly flocked/slightly metallic wallpaper.

Not 'garish', but somewhat muted, subtle, tonal colors.

Personally, I like it when very elegant.  On one wall, in a dining room, etc. 

It can be very beautiful and stylish, depending on the quality and color.

P.S.:

I can't think of the proper name of the pattern I'm thinking about.  I want to say elegant 'baroque', but I'm not sure.   I'll have to web search tomorrow so I can be more specific.  It's the pattern that mimics elegant gold colored drapery in mansions, elegant places, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Just a wallpaper border in one bedroom. 

Esteemed Contributor

No wallpaper, but as a poster said -- we took wallpaper down from kitchen and dining room at previous home. What a mess!  Our current home is newer and more modern, so we're going with paint. However, not saying we'll never use wallpaper in an accent area. Just not in the mood for it. Some homes look great with wallpaper.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Good heaven's no.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son's room still has a little boy sports border from a very long time ago...someday I'll do the room over (he turned 30 yesterday)

I have an anaglypta border in my living room.  It's three dimensional that looks like plaster and you paint it.  Mine is painted the same paint & color as the wall. 

My laundry room is very long and narrow so the wall opposite the washer & dryer has nothing on it.  We decorated that wall with a chair rail and added whitewashed bead board under the rail and another much less expensive but similar border that I have in the living room above the rail. I also painted it the same color as the wall that it's against.

ETA:  I almost forgot!...Our foyer has a tone on tone very subtle beige stripe.

Honored Contributor

I love wall paper, Especially in bathrooms.  A few years ago I removed it from the bath and powder rooms because it was getting too old.  Right now my walls are painted, but I have been thinking about doing wall paper again. I really miss it.  It adds so much to a room.

It is very expensive. Some double rolls cost $200 and up and it takes a few of those to do my bathrooms.

i purchased some wallpaper for a kitchen and a bedroom about  40 years ago and never hung it.  So, now I have some great vintage wall paper in my basement and it’s brand new.

We are looking to buy a summer cottage, hopefully,with a vintage kitchen.  If we ever do, I have the perfect paper for an update.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

Good heaven's no.  

Rude, just what I expect from you. 

Respected Contributor

We live in a turn of the century Victorian house.  While some of the downstairs was done over after Sandy, for the most part the walls are not smooth.  Paint only emphasizes the flaws, so yes, we have a lot of wall paper in this house.

Respected Contributor

No, I don’t have any 

I’m not opposed to it exactly.  I’ve seen some really beautiful patterns.   I know I would tire of it quickly though.   

I am not a fan of floral prints.  I would use something tonal or with something not busy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, and I LOVE it...dining room is papered, a beautiful green pattern  that always gets compliments, looks very nice against the hardwood floors.

My bath is also papered.....and one wall in our spare bedroom, the paper has a sand texture in it.  Certain  walls in our home were finished smooth for paper, if I take the paper off, we would have to have them finished in a different manner.

edited to fix typo.