Esteemed Contributor

Re: Walking in neigborhood during virus outbreak?

I walk early in the morning and rarely see anybody else. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

It would be pretty hard to breath with a mask if you're doing it for cardio benefits. 

This is what I was going to say.  My doctor recommends at least 20 minutes of brisk walking.  I think that would be difficult with a mask.  If just out for a stroll, it would be fine.  Most of the people I see are not wearing a mask when walking, but we maintain more than 6 feet of distance.  

Honored Contributor

I walk outside for 30 minutes several days a week and I'm not wearing a mask unless it is mandated by the State.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I walk everyday unless it is thundering and lightning or ice on the ground. So far there have been no problems with walking in my neighborhood without a mask.

Honored Contributor

I walk nearly every morning or as much as my ankle and foot allow.  This is the only thing that has kept me half sane during all of this!  I have not worn a mask so far to do this as I rarely see anybody out.  On the rare occasions when I do see someone, I quickly cross the street or change my course.  If I see that quite a few more are starting to be out and about, then I will definitely start wearing a mask to do this. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I'm noticing more people wearing masks in the neighborhood despite the fact that it's easy to keep a distance.

Getting out for a walk is a stress reliever

I agree that getting out for a walk is a stress reliever.  It's always good to be outside and to move.

I think for some people wearing a mask relieves some stress too.  I don't wear one because I only walk on my own property and I don't see anyone.  But otherwise I probably would wear one, just for that added peace of mind.