Respected Contributor

Re: Walking in neigborhood during virus outbreak?

I walk most days of the week. My area has lots of very wide sidewalks and walking trails so there's lot of room to spread out. I haven't seen anyone walking or jogging wearing a mask.

I have started to go walking earlier before sunrise to avoid the additional walkers. 

In another month, I'll start my walks around 5am. 

Honored Contributor

People here are encouraged to take walks and hikes outside.  Just keep your distance from others.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I walk in my neighborhood almost every day, and almost every day I do most my time/distance just before sunrise.  I'm in a hot spot area, but at that time in my neighborhood social distancing is supremely easy.  There's rarely more than one or two condoseven  showing any lights -  I pass about 40 units on a cycle which I do several times.  

Even right now in  mid-afternoon, I could walk the same cycle and see perhaps a couple of dog walkers, but it's easy to stay 6 feet away.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3

Yes.
Valued Contributor

I would keep in mind how many times the experts gave advice and  then revised it.   I had been walking too but after we were told it was airborne vs. droplet transmission, I became more conservative.  Some experts report the airborne virus can "hover" for 30 minutes.   Just something to consider.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I think if you can social distance well enough, you should be fine. It's important for our mental health, at least mine. :-)

I haven't been wearing a mask for walks, but that may change.

I started today Twice I saw a homeless person spit and the young are walking I coupled and don,t get out of the way, I cross the street.  I wear it to the ATM with gloves. Wild the buttons and the screen, the card and spray the cash, why car handles. A lot to think about. I wipe dog,s paws and take off my shoes.

Honored Contributor

Unless your sidewalks are full of people and  you are bumping into them close, it is fine to walk outside keeping your distance.

Maybe walking in bigger city neighborhoods is different than my neighborhood.  I walk everyday in my neighborhood. I am lucky as I rarely see anyone for miles.  Sometimes one walker or another  person  walking their dog.  Never close.

Honored Contributor

I'm noticing more people wearing masks in the neighborhood despite the fact that it's easy to keep a distance.

Getting out for a walk is a stress reliever

Honored Contributor

The kids in the neighborhood have taken to drawing chalk on the sidewalks and driveways.  The latest one is a big sun and the words "walking on sunshine."  Best one yet.

Trusted Contributor

I'm also in Michigan in Genesee county.  I'm taking daily walks through my subdivision.  Since I'm outside, I'm not wearing a mask.  I have noticed that there are many more families out walking and biking every day.  That is the one good thing which has come out of all of this.  We don't have sidewalks so I stay on one side of the road and if I come across someone else they are on the opposite side so haven't come upon any situation where we are too close.  One of these weekends we will venture out to one of the State Parks nearby to check out the trails.