Honored Contributor

Re: Walking behind a row of cars in a parking lot

On 6/16/2014 ILikeShade said:

The newer cars have sensors that let them know when someone is too close or behind their car but obviously a pedestrian shouldn't rely on that.

eta: just saw kdgn's post.

I have that with the back-up camera. Really like it!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

My Acura's reverse camera is awesome and I rely on it a lot. They've improved on the camera and it shows a panoramic vision.

Honored Contributor

On 6/16/2014 KathyPet said: Just something I have noticed recently and was wondering if anyone else was having the same experience. When I walk behind a row of parked cars and I notice one that has it's brake lights on or has started to back put of a space I always stop and either wait until the car has backed out or until,the driver gives me some sort of a hand signal to indicate that I can continue to walk behind the car. I would never assume that the driver has seen me. More and more I am noticing that people just continue to walk behind cars without even pausing to ensure the driver has seen them before proceeding. has anyone else noticed this?

Hi KathyPet

With the advent of the cell phone and then comes the texting and then the smart phones? I have noticed this for years and people walking doesn't bother me it's the ones that are aiming 2,000lb+ motor vehicles that get my attention. If someone walking wants to risk their well being on what someone else might do? The only injury will be to themselves, hopefully no children with them.

I told the story about going with my wife to her doctors appointment after her stroke and something I saw for the very first time. He was a lady, she didn't speak English well, and I heard her talking and was trying to figure out who she was talking with at the time. I thought she was reading a book since she was holding something in her hand(not a cell or smart phone).

Turns out she was using Skype to show the person on the other end the doctors office waiting area and she kept talking and waving her tablet around for the other person to see others in the room, I guess. It looked like a 10" tablet to me and here was this lady using Skype in a waiting room.

I've spend so many days in waiting rooms and I have never seen anyone doing the Skype thing until this time. Now that I saw this I am thinking "hmmm, is this the next thing some idiots will try to do while driving"? I answered myself with saying "yes they will" . It simply amazes me how people drive and walk like the others in motor vehicles are going to do the right thing to avoid them. I have driven for almost 58 years now without being in a wreck(when I was driving)and much of this I attribute to taking nothing for granted when it comes to what any other driver on the road might do.

How some can be so oblivious to dangerous things around them escapes me, and I am not talking only about motor vehicles when someone is walking through a parking lot. We had a woman shot in the parking lot of my 2nd home(the hospital)a couple years ago and if something like that doesn't get peoples attention?

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I am very careful, but the worst is the idiots that aren't and just walk behind a car that is backing out, don't give a darn. Our Yukon has the back up alarm too, but I would never rely on that. And then the little kids you can't see at all. It is a very scary situation.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Respected Contributor

On 6/16/2014 Topaz Gem said:

Pedestrians always have the right of way, but still, you have to wait for some sign from the driver that they saw you. Some drivers will slowly back up, then go forward into the parking space when they see me walk by. In that case, I can be sure that it's okay to walk.

Pedestrians only have the right of way if they are already committed to the crosswalk or entering the roadway. A pedestrian who walks behind a vehicle that is already in motion is totally in the wrong.

Respected Contributor

On 6/16/2014 hckynut said:
Turns out she was using Skype to show the person on the other end the doctors office waiting area and she kept talking and waving her tablet around for the other person to see others in the room, I guess. It looked like a 10" tablet to me and here was this lady using Skype in a waiting room.

Wow! I sure hope she wasn't showing patients faces or any of that. If I was the receptionist I would have asked her to not do it. I know some waiting rooms say no cell phones, I guess they need to be more inclusive and include Skype. Geesh!

Valued Contributor

On 6/16/2014 happy housewife said:

I have told this story here before : I was in my SUV backing out of a parking spot at the mall when I heard a woman screech STOP and I did. She came over to my window and started yelling at me and swearing etc. very very rude. It turns out her child, toddler age, was walking by himself through the parking lot and as I had started to back up he was behind my car. However, i could not see him as he was shorter than the back window of my vehicle. I asked the rude Mom why she wasn't holding her child's hand and she answered that he does not like to be held. I said Well, who is the Mommy - you or him? Just goes to show you do not need to be at all intelligent to have a child.

When I am walking in a parking lot I always watch for cars backing up and stop to allow them to do so.Don't people understand that all vehicles have blind spots and esp SUVs - where they can't see you no matter how much they look before moving the vehicle.

Do we really need all these fr ick n twenty-foot tall SUVs anyway??? It used to be that the old rambler station wagon was the biggest thing going, and we did just fine then. {#emotions_dlg.glare} jmo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

Yes, almost everyone around here is in such a hurry, they seldom look for people and/or other cars. They're so pre-occupied, that their minds are always on something else........seems to me, anyway...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I'm always astounded at the antics in parking lots. My Dad always used to say people should have to take their road tests in a busy store parking lot, if they negotiate it all the way through without getting hit or hitting anything, they're good to go!

I've always suspected that most of the people who just walk out of the store walk in front of cars without looking and those who walk behind already backing out vehicles are the same people who DON'T yield to pedestrians coming out of a store and just throw it into reverse without looking when they're in their cars. I had that confirmed with one person just yesterday - she almost got hit waltzing out of the grocery store and into the parking lot without looking, continued walking regardless of cars in motion and those with backup lights on. She only had one small bag, no cart. She jumped in her car, hit the ignition and was in reverse all in a matter of seconds and just backed out - she NEVER looked. I witnessed it because I was walking out of the store behind her and must have "yiked" and cringed at least 4 times before she was finally out of sight.

Honored Contributor

They don't seem to care, either. 'One track minds' ...............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).