Respected Contributor

Re: Walking behind a row of cars in a parking lot

Pedestrians always have the right of way, but still, you have to wait for some sign from the driver that they saw you. Some drivers will slowly back up, then go forward into the parking space when they see me walk by. In that case, I can be sure that it's okay to walk.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

I never assume anything. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't walk that close. If you are farther out, you have a better chance of being seen in the side & rear mirrors.

It's the opposite of walking behind horses!

Honored Contributor

On 6/16/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I always pay attention to the cars in the parking lot. I make sure no one is backing up. That's just one of those common sense things to me.

I do, too. A lot of it is listening for a motor running, you can't always see if there's a driver at the wheel.

I don't see people walking by without paying attention, thank goodness.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I have told this story here before : I was in my SUV backing out of a parking spot at the mall when I heard a woman screech STOP and I did. She came over to my window and started yelling at me and swearing etc. very very rude. It turns out her child, toddler age, was walking by himself through the parking lot and as I had started to back up he was behind my car. However, i could not see him as he was shorter than the back window of my vehicle. I asked the rude Mom why she wasn't holding her child's hand and she answered that he does not like to be held. I said Well, who is the Mommy - you or him? Just goes to show you do not need to be at all intelligent to have a child.

When I am walking in a parking lot I always watch for cars backing up and stop to allow them to do so.Don't people understand that all vehicles have blind spots and esp SUVs - where they can't see you no matter how much they look before moving the vehicle.

Respected Contributor

KathyPet I do the same as you. Better safe then sorry.

Honored Contributor

On 6/16/2014 Sedonee said:

Yep, it's that entitlement thinking coming out. They walk across the street without looking first, also. Stupid people!

We see them walk right into the street without looking all the time in Fl.

Super Contributor

I was just discussing this with some friends the other day. It seems that every time I am at the Fred Meyer store, I can be backing out, sometimes almost all the way, and customers just walk right behind my moving car. It's insane. I would never assume that a driver was seeing me. I guess these people are either extremely trusting or they have a death wish. The same thing happens with other vehicles entering the parking lot as someone else is already partially backed out. The just keep barreling on through behind the backing cars with no regard. I could bank money on it every time. Maybe I am too mistrustful, but I don't assume anything when I am walking to my car. The absolute worst, though, are the people texting or talking on their phones and not paying one bit of attention to their surroundings.

Honored Contributor

On 6/16/2014 happy housewife said:
On 6/16/2014 Sedonee said:

Yep, it's that entitlement thinking coming out. They walk across the street without looking first, also. Stupid people!

We see them walk right into the street without looking all the time in Fl.

A LOT of people are glued to their smart phones and have no idea where they are.

I never got a message that mesmerizing!

Honored Contributor

I don't think you should assume you have the right of way. It's not like there's a crosswalk.