Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,195
Registered: ‎03-27-2012

@Pearley , being comically annoyed by the constant nonsense is a far cry from being in a uproar, lol. And yes, I did take your posts as disputing what I wrote. If that's not how you meant them I appreciate you saying so.  

 

I think if you read my posts you'd know I didn't miss what you say is the purpose of your posts. In fact, I recall thanking you for it. Not sure how that's misconstrued as ignoring it. 

 

This whole exchange has become like a comedy bit. Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,512
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Walgreens Masks

[ Edited ]

@CalmInTheHeart wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@Pearley wrote:
@Susie-Q2. @Jackhound Mom

I just returned from Walgreens. All the hand sanitizer they had ( the first I've seen at out WGs and that had lots) including that Raw Sugar tube if it, was made of ethyl alcohol. I'm not buying that.

Also they had masks: boxes of 50, bags of 50, and bags of 20. All were made on China, I looked at every one. The box was the same as the one online.

@Pearley- The CDC recommends hand sanitizers with at least 60% ethanol or 75% isopropanol.  I'm curious as to why you say you won't buy sanitizer with ethanol?


 

Ethyl alcohol is not ethanol. Ethanol is gas for your car.  Ethyl alcohol is found in most alcoholic beverages and is commonly used in hand sanitizer.  A lot of breweries and alcoholic beverage manufacturers have been making hand sanitizer the last few months and use ethyl alcohol since they have in on hand.


@CalmInTheHeart- Sorry, that's not correct.  (My degree is in Biology, which included organic and inorganic chemistry.  But you can google this for yourself.)  Ethanol is ethyl alcohol.

 

'Origin of 'Ethanol'


Ethyl alcohol got the name "ethanol" in 1892 as a combination of the word "ethane"—the name of the carbon chain—and the "-ol" ending for an alcohol. The common names for methyl alcohol—methanol—and isopropyl alcohol—isopropanol—follow the same rules.

 

The bottom line is that all ethanol is alcohol, but not all alcohols are ethanol.

 

(BTW, ethanol is added to the gasoline for cars (at a max of 10%) as a cost-saving measure for the petroleum industry.  Because it's derived from corn, it's been the subject of discussion for years as it gums up engines over time.  Stabil or other additives are added to gas tanks, especially in small 2-stroke engines, to counteract this, as much as possible.)

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,085
Registered: ‎03-14-2010
very hard to find any that are made in China. the latest tactic I have seen on TV ad: "shipped from the USA".....which means they aren't made here or they would say so. DH and I have cloth ones some neighbors made. They are very well made and have a place for filters.....I just hand wash them after we wear them, which isn't that often. The disposables don't seem to be very effective from the ones I have seen.
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,526
Registered: ‎04-03-2016

@Venezia 

Thank you for info on ethyl alcohol.  I have been in line trying to determine if the hand sanitizer I bought is good or not because of the designation ethyl alcohol.  Do you have any updates info on this?  The sanitizer I bought has ethyl alcohol but ideally can find.  Wherein is the controversy or problem?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,491
Registered: ‎06-11-2011
@twins mom I'm going to direct your attention to another thread I started before this thread. Read my first post.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,512
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Twins Mom- The hand sanitizers that I have all contain ethyl alcohol and I plan to use them.  Some companies were ordered to stop producing sanitizers with this because of non-compliant procedures and ingredients; concerns that some contained acetylaldehyde (a known carcinogen).

 

Mine were purchased at Walgreen's.  I think for the small amount most of us will use, when we aren't able to wash our hands, it's not going to be life-threatening or cause cancer.  The risk of COVID-19 is higher, IMO.  I certainly don't plan to use hand sanitizers every day for the rest of my life.

 

It's a personal decision though - I'm erring on the side of ethyl alcohol sanitizer is better than no sanitizer and right now, where I am, that's all that's around.

 

Ironically, my friend gave me a little pocket hand sanitizer from Whole Foods, with my Christmas presents and even that has ethyl alcohol.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,650
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

@reddoxiechick wrote:

Can’t believe all you people with the masks,if you read the doctors say it pushes up your body temperature and you are breathing your own spit, my doctors suggest just hand washing and there will be no second wave, stop watching too much panic news.


 

As in all things in life, you are going to get differing opinions from different people in any body of 'experts' and those in science are no different. They don't agree across the board, about anything, and that is good. Your doctor is just one opinion.

 

This virus has never really been all about washing your hands, and you will be ok. That was a lie then and it is a lie now. This is coming from the respiratory system. People who are infected, and their breath and coughs and sneezes, are dangerous. 

 

I'm kind of tired as well, of hearing the mask is only to protect others, not yourself. It does mostly protect others, but there is a definite protection and reduction of other's germs you are breathing in by wearing a mask. 

 

All forms of protection are necessary to reduce risk of infection. Distancing from others, masks, hand washing, sanitizing of surface that others come into contact with, healthy eating and maintaining your immune system.It's all part of the layers necessary to achieve as much protection as possible. 

 

I find it unbecoming to chastise anyone who takes any of the steps listed to protect themselves or others. Shaming people for being proactive says way more about those doing the shaming than those practicing the precautions. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,195
Registered: ‎03-27-2012

Re: Walgreens Masks

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom wrote:

@Venezia 

Thank you for info on ethyl alcohol.  I have been in line trying to determine if the hand sanitizer I bought is good or not because of the designation ethyl alcohol.  Do you have any updates info on this?  The sanitizer I bought has ethyl alcohol but ideally can find.  Wherein is the controversy or problem?


 

@Twins Mom 

 

 

I think the question was raised when the "administration" (don't want to get in trouble, lol) tightened restrictions on the use of ethanol due to significant levels of the carcinogen acetaldehyde in ethanol supplied by a company for use in hand sanitizers. 

 

"Since then, the FDA has notified several fuel ethanol companies that their product does not meet safety standards, forcing them to halt production and cancel supply agreements" according to Reuters.

 

There is an abundance of information you can research regarding hand sanitizers. What I have found through reading about them is that the organizations, and there may be others, that recommend ethanol and isopropyl alcohol based hand sanitizers include the CDC, the NIH, and the National Center for Biotechnology and that the ingredients are regulated and must be approved by the FDA. 

 

Alcohol based hand sanitizers have been used for decades. I have some that use ethyl alcohol (Trader Joe's and Raw Sugar) and others that use isopropyl alcohol (Bath & Body Works). Several of these I've been using for years and will continue to use until there is a PSA telling us they are not safe. 

 

As I said earlier the information on these products is abundant. My suggestion is to do some research and decide for yourself. 

 

eta ~ Just wanted to say I agree with everything Venezia posted. Also want to say when you purchase alcohol based hand sanitizer be sure they contain a minimum of 60% ethanol or 70% isopropyl. 

 

  

QVC Customer Care
Posts: 1,318
Registered: ‎10-12-2015

This post has been removed by QVC because it is baiting

QVC Customer Care
Posts: 1,318
Registered: ‎10-12-2015

This post has been removed by QVC because it is baiting