Honored Contributor

Re: Waldorf Hotel to be gutted

[ Edited ]

It's too bad that this property was sold to China. Would rather see a billionaire US business man purchase and renovate this well known prestigious property in NYC. 

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

This is sad. I've never been there, but what bothers me most is the influence other countries now have with OUR iconic institutions. Smiley Mad

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stayed at the Waldorf in Dec. 2001, visiting friends and also attending a professional conference--so I got a very good rate.  I expected a broom closet with a clanging radiator for the miniscule price I pd and got . . . a beautiful view of the Chrysler Building with fresh snow softly falling around it.  

They will save it as a hotel but turning some rooms to apartments (no more cheap convention rates for them).  The St Regis is, I think, now a time-share, either fully or in part.  II developed a real affection for the Waldorf in the 5 days I stayed.   Great location.

A year earlier, with a professional rate for a convention goer, I had a room at the Mark Hopkins in San Francisco . . . and I think they _did_ give me a broom closet.  In San Francisco, and with a comfy bed and a quiet room, I wasn't mad. 

But I was astonished at the Waldorf.  I think I had a deluxe room, not a standard.  But the hotel was lightly populated at the time due to 9/11 and the temporary lull in tourist activities at the time.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

Yes, that is correct.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123@Burnsite@beach-mom@hckynut@ValuSkr

It bothers me, too, for parts of our very own country to be owned by other countries.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

DH and I stayed there five years ago.  As a Hilton Diamond traveller we were upgraded to a suite.  It was gorgeous with all of the gold fixtures, huge bathroom, sitting room and wonderful views.  The lobby itself was an attraction LOL.  Anyway, good memories for me.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

I was wondering if NYC had rules as to what can be torn apart and gutted since the building is currently a hotel. I also wonder if the Waldorf is considered a landmark.

Honored Contributor

Back in Aug, 1996, we were on vacay in NYC, one night my teenage son and I wandered into the Waldorf, sat in lobby for a while, then decided to ride upon the elevator to explore the rest of the hotel. We spotted a banques room where the door was ajar, we went in, no one was in there but the room was decorated, and there was a huge banner hanging up, that said, Happy 50th Bday, Mr. Pres., we looked around the room. Next day in the paper was a big article on the party that day for Pres Clinton at the Waldorf, we realized we had literally crashed his party!!

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

I wonder, too, if The Waldorf is considered a landmark? If so, the remodeling would probably have to be within a certain code. : (

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

I thought WA was part of the  Historic Hotels of America (part of the National Trust for Historic Preservation). 

We are a throw away society, where history has little impact on what we do going forward.  If we don't destroy it by war, we destroy it by greed! 

Very sad!