Trusted Contributor

Re: Waitress Saves Child From Abusive Parents

@quadmimi   From my experience, once the "mother" has at least one FELONY (maybe more) on her record regarding child abuse/neglect, CPS (or whomever the children are living with under court order), will NEVER permit them to reside with her again.  

If "mother" did NOT have a criminal record in that category, I would, unfortunately, agree with you.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

A few months ago, I read of a horrific case of child abuse in our state.  It was done to a boy, by his stepfather, with his mother a witness just standing by.  I don’t know his age, but he and his siblings were removed from that “home.”

I don’t wish to make a contest of this, but the abuse was worse than this case cited.  I will not give details.  It all made me wish DH and I were not so elderly that we could not take this child and siblings in as foster parents.  I still cry over this.  This is the only time that I can remember that I wish I were a young woman.  Some people are monsters.

Then don't make it one, ANY child abuse is horrific, no matter which one is 'worse' than the other.

@KingstonsMom   ^THIS.  Thank you-I wanted to say the same thing.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

This is heartbreaking.  That poor boy.  How brave he was to take that opportunity and leap of faith when the waitress asked the second time.  So amazing that she asked a second time. 

She handled it perfectly.  Bless her.  

The boy is a hero too.  He took a chance too.  What horrible lives these abused children live.  

Honored Contributor

This really deserves a PTL  And bless that women   

Esteemed Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@quadmimi   From my experience, once the "mother" has at least one FELONY (maybe more) on her record regarding child abuse/neglect, CPS (or whomever the children are living with under court order), will NEVER permit them to reside with her again.  

If "mother" did NOT have a criminal record in that category, I would, unfortunately, agree with you.

I work for CPS and sadly they take classes and have supervised visits as they always go for Family Reunification first. Sometimes we say what is the Judge thinking.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

"It takes a village." HRC was right. Thank goodness the waitress did something.

This is an African proverb from the Igbo and Yoruba.  It is very fortunate the waitress stepped up and called law enforcement.

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad there was somebody who could help these kids.  When you're abused, you're reticent to report anything because the punishment is way worse when you tell on them (trust me on this!).

I almost wanted to say, they are lucky.  But I guess not so lucky at least until the day somebody was paying attention. 

I just hope they don't end up with either of these "parents".  OTOH, they are still so young that I worry that they will pine for their abusers if they are re-homed.   I still hope that for them, though, as they are young enough to finish their formative years with love and feeling safe.   I used to wish I could be adopted. 

The only one time, when a teacher noticed injuries and my skittishness and I decided that maybe if I told some of the stuff I could get adopted by somebody kind didn't work out in my favor.  At least, back then, when you told, they went straight to your abuser/s so, you guessed it, your life got even worse.

I wish all the best for these little ones!

Trusted Contributor

@qvcfreak  I believe the "mother" will be given a shorter prison sentence than the male abuser because certain extenuating circumstances will be presented to the court on her behalf (like perhaps she is low functioning and/or was abused herself, and/or the male involved was the one who was paying the bills). 

That said, she would likely have the opportunity to take parenting classes in prison and have supervised visits there.  In our state, programs in PRISON are voluntary.

If, on the other hand, (as you already know) the "mother" is sentenced to supervised probation, her terms may include mandatory parenting classes. 

Of course, the issue always becomes how the "mother" is going to survive financially (benefits are usually only given in our State if she is caring for her children) and where she would live (housing, again, as you no doubt know) is often a problem.

I completely agree with you that "family reunification" is ALWAYS the goal of the court/agencies regardless of how "dysfunctional" the rest of us consider the home to be at the time.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt 

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm so glad there was somebody who could help these kids.  When you're abused, you're reticent to report anything because the punishment is way worse when you tell on them (trust me on this!).

I almost wanted to say, they are lucky.  But I guess not so lucky at least until the day somebody was paying attention. 

I just hope they don't end up with either of these "parents".  OTOH, they are still so young that I worry that they will pine for their abusers if they are re-homed.   I still hope that for them, though, as they are young enough to finish their formative years with love and feeling safe.   I used to wish I could be adopted. 

The only one time, when a teacher noticed injuries and my skittishness and I decided that maybe if I told some of the stuff I could get adopted by somebody kind didn't work out in my favor.  At least, back then, when you told, they went straight to your abuser/s so, you guessed it, your life got even worse.

I wish all the best for these little ones!

You and I have discussed having very similar backgrounds/childhoods before and I agree with you 100%.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

She was brave and had courage to follow her instincts. The instincts of many humans to help each other, to be kind.

It is such an encouraging story to know those children were rescued.

I hope too that it will continue to be a happy and safe one for them.

Thank you @KingstonsMom for sharing this story.

It is good to hear this and I also thank you for not including more awful details. 

The one thing that can make so many of us sad for days is child and animal abuse.I wish we could eradicate it from the planet forever!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"