Honored Contributor

Re: WW (Weight Watchers)

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Susan Louise 

WW is sustainable for my life and Keto/ Atkins was NOT, I can have a piece a bread and take me two points, WW is my lifestyle and it will be

If Keto works for you then fine it did not work for me I lost weight and could not keep up the deprivation I felt

@Susan Louise wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have been on WW since Feb 20, 2018 and lost around 60 lbs, my BP has droped to a normal range and my afib has quieted.

WW is the way I will eat for my life

@I am still oxox   Losing weight will help anyone who has high blood pressure.

But diet programs such as WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem and other like programs are not for those who have blood sugar issues. There are way too many carbs in each of those meals/snacks.

They must eat very low carb. You may be one of the lucky folks with great genes who don't have to worry about blood sugar issues.

But there are also other folks who haven't had their blood checked in 5-10+ yrs who may also be pre-diabetic and not knowing what is around the corner either. OR, there are folks who know their blood sugar levels are high from having their blood checked and have already been told by their Dr to start cutting sugar & carbs, but have ignored the advice and just continue to eat all the foods they love thinking they are invincible.

Even I thought that way about my body...despite knowing since I was 35 that my biological mother had both of her legs cut off at 49 yrs of age...just 2 weeks before she died due to diabeties complications. I'm adopted, so I didn't know til later in life when I found info on her.

As for my DH, his family has absolutely no history of diabeties, and yet he became diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic last Sept.

It is terrible that my DH was diagnosed being a type 2 diabetic. At the same time, if it wasn't for his diagnosis, I wouldn't have also found out I was pre-diabetic because I didn't have any symptoms...yet...or so I thought. Changing my eating lifestyle now prevented me from having my body get to the diagnosis of being a type 2 diabetic. I only need to check my blood sugar #'s about once a week. DH has to do it every day for the rest of his life. At least with the eating lifestyle change he is off the diabetic and cholesterol meds.

Please read my 2 posts above (#72 & #73). Smiley Happy

@I am still oxox   I'm sorry to hear you felt deprived on keto. We are not on keto, we are low carb...there is a difference. Low carb gives us more carbs to have each day. With keto your carb count has to be 30 or under. We stay between 50-70 daily and we don't feel deprived whatsoever. If you read several of my previous posts, I even mention meals we have...even what we'll be having for Easter dinner. 

We may make keto recipes, but over a coarse of a day we still have/add more carbs to our day than 'keto'. For example, we'll have a very low carb keto dinner...from a keto taco pie recipe, but our lunch may have had 30-40 carbs, so we have a dinner with less carbs to keep our carb count in check.

We can't have even a slice of 'regular' bread...not even whole wheat. It's not like DH & I or those with blood sugar issues can just have a slice and not have issues. Our blood sugar would spike off the charts having a slice of bread.

We eat sprouted flaxseed bread which is not found in just any grocery store.

We also make baked goods with almond or coconut flour...low carb/keto recipes, so again, it's why we don't feel deprived. We still have chocolate chip cookies, but not Toll House anymore. They are made with Lily's chocolate chips and with other ingredients. We make them using a wonderful recipe by KetoConnect...video is on youtube.

We also keep a stash of cookies in the freezer made by FatSnax...we love their lemon, chocolate chip and double chocolate cookies. They are a bit expensive, but when I don't have time to bake and we want a treat/dessert, they are a great go-to. Sometimes DH & I split a pkg of 2 cookies and other times we'll each have our own pkg of 2 cookies...it all depends on our carb count on any given day.

Again, if you don't have to worry about blood sugar, you are lucky.

I'm glad you found an eating lifestyle that works for you Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have been on WW since Feb 20, 2018 and lost around 60 lbs, my BP has droped to a normal range and my afib has quieted.

WW is the way I will eat for my life

@I am still oxox , That's fantastic.  Good job.  Atta girl!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

I have been following a Keto group on facebook. It is alarming to me to read about the dizziness, bad headaches, extreme thirst, among other things. 

I have been involved with WW off, and on for years. I do know that WW is a wonderful program, and it is very healthy. 

I understand that there are free apps, but I always have results when I attend the meetings. 

@Tissyanne    Hi how are you doing? I too follow WW and have off and  on for years!   It works for me and I don't feel deprived as I can eat everything just in smaller portions as you already know.   I'm always leary of diet plans that  restrict this or that.   I do understand though  that  some with health issues may have to follow a more strict plan 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never dieted to lose weight.  I'm pretty much the same wight in my adult life.  But my sister had.  She did very well with low carb Atkins. This was 5 years ago.  She has kept the weight off.  I think all diets work.  But the fastest ones for sure are the low carbs ones.  Keto, Atkins, South Beach, etc. Carbs is the one group of foods that puts the weight on you. If you eliminate them, off comes the weight.  Starch is comfort food, but in the end bread, pasta, etc will do you in. Difference between Atkins and Keto is that  Atkins will let you gradually eat carbs again.  Even after they are back in your diet, it is kept as a minimum,. Keto plan does not allow them back in. 

I sometimes have trouble keeping my weight up.  So I do eat bread and pastas.  I do worry about this a lot.  As losing weight is a sign of Diabetes.  So far I don't, but it is a source of worry for me.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Just give it 5-12 months.

All the ‘keto’ fad people will regain all the weight they lost because

it’s totally unsustainable....and will be back to Weight Watchers.

It’s all very cyclical.

So is Weight Watchers, my cousin has lost and gained 100 lbs over the years on that diet and she still swears by it.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Just give it 5-12 months.

All the ‘keto’ fad people will regain all the weight they lost because

it’s totally unsustainable....and will be back to Weight Watchers.

It’s all very cyclical.

So is Weight Watchers, my cousin has lost and gained 100 lbs over the years on that diet and she still swears by it.

I totally agree.

Weight Watchers doesn’t teach health....anyone can lose weight but

keeping it off in a healthy manner for long-term results?

I’m afraid there’s only one scientific way. 

21EB8876-6127-4A4F-BC09-EEC52FA4209A.jpeg

Honored Contributor

My husband needed to rethink his diet after a bout with pancreatitis and a diagnosis of pre- Type 2 diabetes.

He cut down on carbs that are unnecessary (pizza, many desserts, for example). He still eats whole-grain bread and cereal in moderation. Rarely does he eat rice or potatoes but eats yams. He eats more fruit and vegies and normal amounts of protein. He stopped with the wine except for occasionally.

He dropped a ton of weight,  has a good AC1, normal blood pressure now, and his pancreas and liver are fine.

Nothing he did was extreme. He never felt any ill-effects. If this is Keto, then I'm all for it. But as I understand it, Keto is more extreme.

This is a lifestyle he can be happy with for the rest of his hopefully longer life.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

I have been following a Keto group on facebook. It is alarming to me to read about the dizziness, bad headaches, extreme thirst, among other things. 

I have been involved with WW off, and on for years. I do know that WW is a wonderful program, and it is very healthy. 

I understand that there are free apps, but I always have results when I attend the meetings. 

@Tissyanne    Hi how are you doing? I too follow WW and have off and  on for years!   It works for me and I don't feel deprived as I can eat everything just in smaller portions as you already know.   I'm always leary of diet plans that  restrict this or that.   I do understand though  that  some with health issues may have to follow a more strict plan

@Kitty Galore , 

Hello, I am okay, and I hope you are also. I enjoy WW, and I don't feel deprived either, since the nature of the program allows for such variety. I did try Atkins years ago, lost 20 pounds, but I was not nappy with the restrictions So, WW for me too. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise , 

I follow the keto group because I want to see how the plan is working for a variety of people. 

Most of the members with these problems, count every single carb, including brocolli, lettuce, and the like. Tney are only allowing 15-20 daily. They are losing weight of course. 

I am glad you and your husband enjoy your low carb lifestyle. I can imagine your way is much more healthful. I will read your posts.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Some people, in fact I would venture to guestimate most people, need or want accountability.  WW offers that.  So do plans like Jenny Craig and a few others.  If it works, do it.  sometimes it is not about the money, or the time..it is about results.

the  younger generation will find out soon.  Those thin 20-30 year old figures will give way to all the bad eating, sugar laden coffee drinks .  Frankly, I think  nutrition and balance, and limits are a way of life that any generation could benefit from learning.