Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I don't think keto is a fad diet.  People use it for reasons other than to lose weight and it's been around for a long time.

I agree.  There's plenty of evidence out there supporting the fact that carbs/sugar is the primary issue within today's standard diet...the issue is not fat - especially good fat.  Of course that doesn't mean you can eat any kind of fat or as much fat as you want...you still need to be conscious of how many calories are in fat...if you consume too much you won't lose weight!  There is absolutely no reason why our diet should be full of starches, sugars, empty calories, corn products, etc. except that it makes the processed food industry tons and tons of money. 

@straykatz  Exactly...I concur.

DH has been able to stop taking both of his diabeties meds and his Crestor for cholesterol since we have been on a low carb lifestyle.

Besides losing weight, our health has improved dramatically since we started September last year.

Just one more reason why I wish more folks would just watch the 'fat head documentary'.

@Susan Louise 

It's terrific that that particular eating plan worked for you and your husband. Congratulations on the weight loss and improved health!

But, it also stands to mention, that there is no one single eating plan that works for every single human being on the face of this planet.

Not that you said that, but I'm just throwing it out there.

@Anonymous032819   While you were replying to me I edited my post and added some text Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: WW (Weight Watchers)

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I just have to say giving up carbs would just be the worse for me .  Could not give up pasta, potatoes,  and bread  if I did I would not be fit to live with lol    I find at least with ww You can eat everything just not large portions and that works for me. Just eating mainly protein and primarily meat is not my idea if a balanced meal.  Moderation i say.

@Kitty Galore   I used to think and believe the same thing until my husband and I found out our health was in a terrible place. DH became a type 2 diabetic and I was prediabetic...along with developing other serious health issues. I also had developed GERD/acid reflux/heartburn and high blood pressure too. Because of that, one of my eyes is showing signs of Glaucoma.

So DH and I had to change our eating lifestyle. By doing so our health has improved dramatically in just 7 months. DH is now off his cholesterol med/Crestor and both of his diabeties meds. It also made my DH's Dr very proud and became his model patient! DH is his only diabetic patient that took his advice seriously about cutting out the carbs that much. He now hopes that by telling his other patients about my DH's success of being able to get off the meds, it will inspire others to follow suit.

Unfortunately the majority of them won't change. They would rather keep taking shots of insulin then stop eating their favorite foods. They don't want to have to throw away lots of money clearing out all of the bad foods they spent money on. Most would also believe it's too much work to change...sad.

I worked with a few diabetics in my life and they chose to eat everything they shouldn't be. Their attitude was...so I'll have to take another shot of insullin every day...who cares. I'm not going to stop eating the foods I love! SMH

That's like a smoker who gets diagnosed with lung cancer and doesn't stop smoking. I am a 15 year lung cancer survivor. I quit smoking the day I was diagnosed. I don't have 2 lungs anymore but I am still here. I know I wouldn't be if I had the same attitude as the diabetics I mentioned above.

Everyone is free to make their own choices in life.

Anyway, as for myself, my blood sugar numbers have also gone back to the normal range. I have no more GERD/acid reflux/heartburn, my blood pressure is normal which should also stabilize my eye pressure.

If your blood pressure and blood sugar numbers are normal eating the way you are, you are very lucky. You have great genes.Usually when one gets to middle age and they are still eating lots of sugars & carbs they become at high risk for all of these health issues I have mentioned.

Very few folks go to get a yearly check up to the Dr and only go when they get sick....which could be once in 5-10+ yrs. Because of this, one won't see signs that there is a major health risk developing before it's too late. We now keep a blood pressure monitor at home so I can check it once a week. I also check my blood sugar once a week to make sure it stays normal. DH still checks his daily...all our numbers have remained in the normal/healthy range since our eating lifestyle changed.

The only sign that DH had that he must have another health problem is when he was drastically losing weight when he was making no change to his eating...about 20 lbs in less than 2 months. When he went to the Dr he found out he became a full blown type 2 diabetic and was put on 2 diabetic meds immediately! His Dr told him to get his carb count down to no more than around 60 a day.

When he came home we threw out all the high carb/sugar type foods out of our pantry/cabinets/freezer/fridge...$500-$700 worth...which is really just a drop in the bucket compared to the alternatives.

It was painful, but so is the cost of weekly/monthly meds and the risk of our health getting worse.

We have kept our daily carb count to between 50-70 daily ever since.

Our bodies were able to keep going eating what we considered 'normal' until last year. DH is 52 and I'm 59. Then the dam broke and our bodies just had enough. We chose changing our eating lifestyle before we risk dying, losing a digit, leg or our sight...none of which we are keen on.

So for us, there will be no more Toll House cookies, Kelloggs cereals, even whole wheat bread, and even most fruits, etc...just too much sugar/carbs. There are plenty of wonderful low carb/keto friendly options/recipes for replacements of foods we enjoy.

We all have our own lifestyle journey we choose. We had to change ours for life. There is no going back to the way we used to eat. There are no regrets...we are healthier. We also feel great and don't feel deprived whatsoever.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:
I follow a YouTuber who documents dying malls, store closings, and other urban exploration who's done Keto for nine years and it works for him. He makes cooking videos too. I have Facebook friends who do Keto and they're having success. One stopped WW because she got tired of always counting points.

I'm considering Keto but there are some drawbacks for me--- apparently you can't have fruit because of the sugar and carbs, and I like fruit. I'm not a cheese lover because too much of it can make me uncomfortable and almost everything I see recipe wise has tons of cheese in it. The funny thing is, much of the approved foods I already eat, I'd only have to cut out breads and sugar.

In the end, you do what works for you, whether it's WW, Keto, paleo, Mediterranean, or just a balance of everything. Just make sure you're not miserable while doing it!

@Cumbercookie13  Since the guidelines for being 'keto' keeps one's carb count to 30 or under, fruits are pretty much out unless what you have can still keeps your carb count on any given day under 30.

You can still have small amounts of strawberries, blackberries and raspberries.

DH and I are on a low carb lifestyle and keep our carb counts to between 50-70 daily which gives us extra room for more carbs...less restrictive.

For example, for a lunch we'll have a grilled roast beef w/swiss cheese sandwich on sprouted flaxseed bread and split an apple. DH will also have a couple of baby dill pickles too (yuck! LOL) and I'll have a Cutie (one serving is 2 of them, so I have 1/2 a serving). 

Sometimes for a brunch on the weekends we'll each have a cutie with eggs, sausage and toasted flaxseed bread or waffles (made with CarbQuick).

DH also makes a wonderful low carb/keto blackberry ice cream...YUM!

So it's possible to have fruit...just very few.

The list of foods we stay away from are:

MOST fruits

ALL fruit juices

ALL dairy EXCEPT cheeses, butter and heavy whipping cream

ALL cereals except oatmeal (once every 7-10 days)

NO breads except for the sprouted flaxseed

NO rice

NO pasta

EXTREMELY LIMITED potatos and corn and most beans...for us we'll each have an Ore-Ida hashbrown with eggs & bacon for a breakfast once a month. DH loves potatos, so that is a real treat for him. As for corn, we haven't had any since we began the low carb...7+ months now. As for beans, it's just string beans we'll have...most others like those for chili are too high in carbs.

No cakes/pies/cookies/baked goods unless they are made keto/lowcarb...homemade by recipe or particular brands we buy. Be careful, there are many brands trying to make money on the low carb/keto and they use bad sugar substitutes/ingredients.

We also use avacado oil to cook with.

The hardest part of the new low carb lifestyle for me was having to stop using Coffee-Mate in my coffee. Now I only use heavy whipping cream.

We follow KetoConnect and Cooking with Kristie for those type of helpful tips Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been following a Keto group on facebook. It is alarming to me to read about the dizziness, bad headaches, extreme thirst, among other things. 

I have been involved with WW off, and on for years. I do know that WW is a wonderful program, and it is very healthy. 

I understand that there are free apps, but I always have results when I attend the meetings. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tissyanne wrote:

I have been following a Keto group on facebook. It is alarming to me to read about the dizziness, bad headaches, extreme thirst, among other things. 

I have been involved with WW off, and on for years. I do know that WW is a wonderful program, and it is very healthy. 

I understand that there are free apps, but I always have results when I attend the meetings. 

@Tissyanne   We don't experience any of those issues and we feel so much healthier avoiding sugars/carbs. Our blood sugar numbers also prove we are healthier. My blood pressure is also normal now. I don't have GERD anymore. Did you read my 2 long posts above (72 & 73)? I explain fully about how my DH & I benefit from a low carb lifestyle.

I don't know what keto group you follow on facebook. I never heard such stuff as that. Why would you follow anyone doing keto if you do WW and praise it anyway? You have to do what makes you happy. We all have choices.

Milllions of folks eat low carb/keto for their health...as DH and I do. We HAD to change our eating lifestyle.

Honored Contributor

I have been on WW since Feb 20, 2018 and lost around 60 lbs, my BP has droped to a normal range and my afib has quieted.

WW is the way I will eat for my life

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I’m a Lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I want to lose a few pounds but I cannot stand their new program. This keto business is just that, a business. WW is also a business and I think they lost their way several years ago. There have been a few improvements but checking in takes longer than going through security at the airport. Leaders have become so scripted as to appear insincere. I was a leader for years so I know the drill. By the way, they were terrible to work for so I quit. I was much happier focusing on my real job and attending meetings as a member of the crowd.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Vivian 

I love Freestyle and I was not able to stick to 123 Success, or any of the other plans, it is really a personal preference

@Vivian wrote:

I’m a Lifetime member of Weight Watchers and I want to lose a few pounds but I cannot stand their new program. This keto business is just that, a business. WW is also a business and I think they lost their way several years ago. There have been a few improvements but checking in takes longer than going through security at the airport. Leaders have become so scripted as to appear insincere. I was a leader for years so I know the drill. By the way, they were terrible to work for so I quit. I was much happier focusing on my real job and attending meetings as a member of the crowd.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have been on WW since Feb 20, 2018 and lost around 60 lbs, my BP has droped to a normal range and my afib has quieted.

@I am still oxox   Losing weight will help anyone who has high blood pressure.

But diet programs such as WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem and other like programs are not for those who have blood sugar issues. There are way too many carbs in each of those meals/snacks.

They must eat very low carb. You may be one of the lucky folks with great genes who don't have to worry about blood sugar issues.

But there are also other folks who haven't had their blood checked in 5-10+ yrs who may also be pre-diabetic and not knowing what is around the corner either. OR, there are folks who know their blood sugar levels are high from having their blood checked and have already been told by their Dr to start cutting sugar & carbs, but have ignored the advice and just continue to eat all the foods they love thinking they are invincible.

Even I thought that way about my body...despite knowing since I was 35 that my biological mother had both of her legs cut off at 49 yrs of age...just 2 weeks before she died due to diabeties complications. I'm adopted, so I didn't know til later in life when I found info on her.

As for my DH, his family has absolutely no history of diabeties, and yet he became diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic last Sept.

It is terrible that my DH was diagnosed being a type 2 diabetic. At the same time, if it wasn't for his diagnosis, I wouldn't have also found out I was pre-diabetic because I didn't have any symptoms...yet...or so I thought. Changing my eating lifestyle now prevented me from having my body get to the diagnosis of being a type 2 diabetic. I only need to check my blood sugar #'s about once a week. DH has to do it every day for the rest of his life. At least with the eating lifestyle change he is off the diabetic and cholesterol meds.

Please read my 2 posts above (#72 & #73). Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise 

WW is sustainable for my life and Keto/ Atkins was NOT, I can have a piece a bread and take me two points, WW is my lifestyle and it will be

If Keto works for you then fine it did not work for me I lost weight and could not keep up the deprivation I felt

@Susan Louise wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox   Losing weight will help anyone who has high blood pressure.

But diet programs such as WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem and other like programs are not for those who have blood sugar issues. There are way too many carbs in each of those meals/snacks.

They must eat very low carb. You may be one of the lucky folks with great genes who don't have to worry about blood sugar issues.

But there are also other folks who haven't had their blood checked in 5-10+ yrs who may also be pre-diabetic and not knowing what is around the corner either. OR, there are folks who know their blood sugar levels are high from having their blood checked and have already been told by their Dr to start cutting sugar & carbs, but have ignored the advice and just continue to eat all the foods they love thinking they are invincible.

Even I thought that way about my body...despite knowing since I was 35 that my biological mother had both of her legs cut off at 49 yrs of age...just 2 weeks before she died due to diabeties complications. I'm adopted, so I didn't know til later in life when I found info on her.

As for my DH, his family has absolutely no history of diabeties, and yet he became diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic last Sept.

It is terrible that my DH was diagnosed being a type 2 diabetic. At the same time, if it wasn't for his diagnosis, I wouldn't have also found out I was pre-diabetic because I didn't have any symptoms...yet...or so I thought. Changing my eating lifestyle now prevented me from having my body get to the diagnosis of being a type 2 diabetic. I only need to check my blood sugar #'s about once a week. DH has to do it every day for the rest of his life. At least with the eating lifestyle change he is off the diabetic and cholesterol meds.

Please read my 2 posts above (#72 & #73). Smiley Happy