Valued Contributor

Not if you have 70 lbs to lose like me.   Weight watchers would take forever.  Love Jenny Craig, all the right amount of food provided, not like KETO, and no work compared to Weight watchers, There is a reason Jc has been around this lopng

Esteemed Contributor

@tropics21 wrote:

I read your post and was curious as to why your physcian said because of your age Keto would not be the diet for you.  Could you elaborate.  I am 67, started Jenny Craig at the end of November and have lost 31 lbs.  It is a slow loss 1-2 lbs a week, and expensive.  I did Jenny because I wanted something I didn't have to think about or prepare because that is my downfall, I don't have willpower to measure the right amount etc.  Anyway my 2 neighbors are doing KETO and they lost alot of weight FAST.  It obviously would cost me alot less not doing Jenny Craig, so I am curious as to why because of your age he said you wouldn't do well, I don't know your age.

@tropics21  I saw my doctor again and asked her about her caution for me re: the keto diet.  She said that as we age, our liver doesn't work as well as it did when we were younger.  People in their 40's, 30's, 20's might handle the high protein better.  

I'd read the same thing a few weeks ago...that as we get older, our liver doesn't function as well.

Keepin' it real.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Several weeks ago, I saw on NBC Nightly News, that not as many Millennials go to WW like their mother's and grandmothers did. 

They see it as "old fashioned".

Think about it.

There are a plethora of weight loss apps out there, that don't require meetings, and are more importantly, cost less than the WW app, or are even free.

So, it's not surprising that WW is loosing money because Millennials are just not interested in having to attend meetings in order to loose weight.

Unless WW can become "hip" and appeal to the younger generation, they will continue to loose money, and members.

It makes sense to me. 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Several weeks ago, I saw on NBC Nightly News, that not as many Millennials go to WW like their mother's and grandmothers did. 

Think about it.

There are a plethora of weight loss apps out there, that don't require meetings, and are more importantly, cost less than the WW app, or are even free.

So, it's not surprising that WW is loosing money because Millennials are just not interested in having to attend meetings in order to loose weight.

Unless WW can become "hip" and appeal to the younger generation, they will continue to loose money, and members.

It makes sense to me. 

An app would never work for me. I'm a Lifetime WW member at goal for about ten years. I need the meetings and getting weighed every week, it keeps me accountable. I'm another lifetime I got to goal, thought I could do it on my own and stopped going to meetings. I gained back 30 of the 67 pounds I had lost. I returned to WW and have never left.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Think about it.

It makes sense to me. 

@Anonymous032819There are many things the parents of millennials did that millennials do not do, many organizations they do not join.  They have the world in their hand.  They don't need to go out.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Think about it.

It makes sense to me. 

An app would never work for me. I'm a Lifetime WW member at goal for about ten years. I need the meetings and getting weighed every week, it keeps me accountable. I'm another lifetime I got to goal, thought I could do it on my own and stopped going to meetings. I gained back 30 of the 67 pounds I had lost. I returned to WW and have never left.

@Jordan2 

I'm happy that the meetings work for you, but you are of a different generation, and the Millennials feel that meetings are "old school".

I am just offering an explination as to why WW is loosing money.

The youngsters are just not interested in going to a meeting, when there are so many apps, and free ones at that, that also promote weight loss.

Until WW can find a way to get those youngsters in their doors, they will continue to loose money.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Think about it.

It makes sense to me. 

@Anonymous032819There are many things the parents of millennials did that millennials do not do, many organizations they do not join.  They have the world in their hand.  They don't need to go out.

@esmerelda 

Exactly.

Why go out to a meeting, when there are so many often free apps that also promote weight loss right on their phone?

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819  My point is they don't go out to meetings of any kind like their parents and grandparents did.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Re: WW (Weight Watchers)

[ Edited ]

@straykatz wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I don't think keto is a fad diet.  People use it for reasons other than to lose weight and it's been around for a long time.

I agree.  There's plenty of evidence out there supporting the fact that carbs/sugar is the primary issue within today's standard diet...the issue is not fat - especially good fat.  Of course that doesn't mean you can eat any kind of fat or as much fat as you want...you still need to be conscious of how many calories are in fat...if you consume too much you won't lose weight!  There is absolutely no reason why our diet should be full of starches, sugars, empty calories, corn products, etc. except that it makes the processed food industry tons and tons of money. 

@straykatz  Exactly...I concur.

DH has been able to stop taking both of his diabeties meds and his Crestor for cholesterol since we have been on a low carb lifestyle...after just 7 months! BTW, my DH is 52 and I am 59.

Besides losing weight, our health has improved dramatically since we started September last year.

And we are on this for life...not short term. There are so many fabulous keto/low carb recipes available we don't feel deprived whatsoever!

For example, Easter dinner we're having boneless prime rib roast, a caesar salad and double chocolate cookes for dessert (by FatSnax).

Some of our dinners this past week were:

DH made a taco pie...(from a keto recipe online)...YUM!

Shrimp Stir-Fry with asparagus, snow peas, mushrooms, peppers, onions & beans..

Homemade pizza we make using carb balance Mission wraps, parm & mozz cheeses, pepperoni, bacon and Newman's Sockarooni sauce...

Salmon & a salad

one dinner we felt like having breakfast...LOL

So we had waffles made with CarbQuick, sausage patties, eggs and a Cutie!

As far as I'm concerned, nothing weird or odd about any of those meals. We are not on a 'keto' lifestyle plan, but a low carb lifestyle plan. Keto is making sure one's carb count is 30 or under daily. DH and I try and keep our 'low carb' lifestyle numbers between 50-70 daily. 

We don't count calories...only carbs Smiley Very Happy

Just one more reason why I wish more folks would just watch the 'fat head documentary'...to the end...completely!

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I don't think keto is a fad diet.  People use it for reasons other than to lose weight and it's been around for a long time.

I agree.  There's plenty of evidence out there supporting the fact that carbs/sugar is the primary issue within today's standard diet...the issue is not fat - especially good fat.  Of course that doesn't mean you can eat any kind of fat or as much fat as you want...you still need to be conscious of how many calories are in fat...if you consume too much you won't lose weight!  There is absolutely no reason why our diet should be full of starches, sugars, empty calories, corn products, etc. except that it makes the processed food industry tons and tons of money. 

@straykatz  Exactly...I concur.

DH has been able to stop taking both of his diabeties meds and his Crestor for cholesterol since we have been on a low carb lifestyle.

Besides losing weight, our health has improved dramatically since we started September last year.

Just one more reason why I wish more folks would just watch the 'fat head documentary'.

@Susan Louise 

It's terrific that that particular eating plan worked for you and your husband. Congratulations on the weight loss and improved health!

But, it also stands to mention, that there is no one single eating plan that works for every single human being on the face of this planet.

Not that you said that, but I'm just throwing it out there.