Highlighted
Contributor

WW has changed in my area.  I joined in May, 2016 and in six months I lost 24 lbs.  I was very happy and the diet was easy to do and I maintained my loss for two years.  I am a stress eater and went through last year and gained back some of my weight so I rejoined in October, 2018.  

The Point system had changed a bit so not exacxtly what I was used to.  WW now relies mostly on their "App" and all the info is on that.  I received no new books explaining the new point system and I stayed until the end of the meeting to obtain the new info.  I was told by the instructer that everything was on the App.  She told me there was classes to learn how to use it but they were all on Saturdays and I work part-time and work most Saturdays.  Anyway, I was not successful the second time around because I was very confused.  I quit in a couple of months.

If anyone else has had my experience I can understand why their stock is down.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WW (Weight Watchers)

[ Edited ]

@maryoochSorry you had such a bad experience this last time around.  Is there another meeting near you?  You can search online at the WW site.  A different leader might be more accommodating.

If not, you lost weight on an earlier version of the program.  Do what you know...follow the earlier program.  You have the tools.

Good luck!

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

WW may be taking a hit because of the easy-to-use apps out there that are either free or much less expensive and so much more convenient. I had joined My Fitness Pal but stopped using it when the website was hacked twice. I've recently joined LoseIt! and am liking it and will probably upgrade to the annual plan for $40 a year because of the depth of pay-for features.

Here's an article on a study of online food logging and how it correlates with success at weight loss. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/909609

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Winkk 

Keto and Atkins fall into the same genre of exclusion diets you exclude carbs while WW is about moderation rather than exclusion

@Winkk wrote:

WW doesn't seem to be doing well on Wall Street. 

New York (CNN Business)Oprah Winfrey famously proclaimed "I love bread!" in a Weight Watchers commercial three years ago. But carbs aren't cutting it for the company anymore.

Shares of WW (WTW) — Weight Watchers' new name — closed down 34% on Wednesday after the company shocked Wall Street with poor earnings and sales.
CEO Mindy Grossman attributed the problem to the keto diet, a popular eating regimen that makes bread and other carbs taboo. She said during a call with analysts Tuesday that keto is "becoming a cultural mean," and she even called it a "keto surge."
Wall Street is clearly nervous, too.

Does anyone follow the keto diet?

I agree @I am still oxox.  I prefer moderation.  My daughter has used WW in the past and over two years has lost 100 pounds.

I totally love weight watchers.  I took 30 lbs off and kept it off for years.  I am ready to start again lol.  I have become less active and eat more lol.  So I will start back.  I love the meetings and the weigh ins.  It works for me.  Ladies at meetings are always so nice and kind and I look forward to weigh ins.  It keeps me on track.Smiley Happy I am very social so the meetings are good for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

WW may be taking a hit because of the easy-to-use apps out there that are either free or much less expensive and so much more convenient. I had joined My Fitness Pal but stopped using it when the website was hacked twice. I've recently joined LoseIt! and am liking it and will probably upgrade to the annual plan for $40 a year because of the depth of pay-for features.

Here's an article on a study of online food logging and how it correlates with success at weight loss. https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/909609

@noodleannI agree the online apps may be cuttng into WW.  I've got the Lose It! app.  I don't use it much lately...I don't use anything much lately.  LOL!  But I think it's probably as good as WW without the (inconvenience and cost of the) meetings.  And their gentle reminders (to track, weigh), are nice.  

Thanks for the reminder.  I may start using it again today.  

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Keto is just another low carb fad diet. Most will likely put the weight back on. I have never known anyone who kept weight off long-term by following a fad diet. Most fit/healthy people I know work out and eat things in moderation.

I guess if you need it to stay on track, then fine, but I would be miserable.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Contributor

Re: WW (Weight Watchers)

[ Edited ]

Thank you @esmerelda for your response.  No there is no other choice of meetings as far as WW and I do have the tools and try to do it on my own, but there is something about going to the meeting and being held accountable and hearing ideas from other people etc.  I am going to try on my own but I think it is not a wise business decision for WW to rely just on the App and not offer options.  I am computer literate and understand Apps but the point system had changed and looking everything up on an App and having to keep track on the App just was not my thing.  

You are right, I was not impressed with the instructor and she was not very helpful.  However, I will find a way to take this weight off.  As I tell my granddaughter "there is always a way"!  (quote from Dory in Finding Nemo).  

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

I don't think keto is a fad diet.  People use it for reasons other than to lose weight and it's been around for a long time.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know that Weight Watchers had been renamed to Wellness Wins.  Is that true?  Crazy, as people will always call it Weight Watchers.

As for Mindy Grossman being in charge...no wonder the stock is plummeting.  I was less than impressed, when she was in charge of HSN.  She couldn't even be bothered to have one of her staff reply to or acknowledge receipt of a certified letter.  She'll be on to the next company soon, I'm sure.

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I didn't know that Weight Watchers had been renamed to Wellness Wins.  Is that true?  Crazy, as people will always call it Weight Watchers.

As for Mindy Grossman being in charge...no wonder the stock is plummeting.  I was less than impressed, when she was in charge of HSN.  She couldn't even be bothered to have one of her staff reply to or acknowledge receipt of a certified letter.  She'll be on to the next company soon, I'm sure.

Yes, the official name is WW and it stands for Wellness Wins.