Respected Contributor

WW doesn't seem to be doing well on Wall Street. 

New York (CNN Business)Oprah Winfrey famously proclaimed "I love bread!" in a Weight Watchers commercial three years ago. But carbs aren't cutting it for the company anymore.

Shares of WW (WTW) — Weight Watchers' new name — closed down 34% on Wednesday after the company shocked Wall Street with poor earnings and sales.
CEO Mindy Grossman attributed the problem to the keto diet, a popular eating regimen that makes bread and other carbs taboo. She said during a call with analysts Tuesday that keto is "becoming a cultural mean," and she even called it a "keto surge."
Wall Street is clearly nervous, too.

Does anyone follow the keto diet?
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Just give it 5-12 months.

All the ‘keto’ fad people will regain all the weight they lost because

it’s totally unsustainable....and will be back to Weight Watchers.

It’s all very cyclical.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk 

Keto and Atkins fall into the same genre of exclusion diets you exclude carbs while WW is about moderation rather than exclusion

@Winkk wrote:

New York (CNN Business)Oprah Winfrey famously proclaimed "I love bread!" in a Weight Watchers commercial three years ago. But carbs aren't cutting it for the company anymore.

Shares of WW (WTW) — Weight Watchers' new name — closed down 34% on Wednesday after the company shocked Wall Street with poor earnings and sales.
CEO Mindy Grossman attributed the problem to the keto diet, a popular eating regimen that makes bread and other carbs taboo. She said during a call with analysts Tuesday that keto is "becoming a cultural mean," and she even called it a "keto surge."

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Winkk 

Keto and Atkins fall into the same genre of exclusion diets you exclude carbs while WW is about moderation rather than exclusion

@Winkk wrote:

I agree @I am still oxox.  I prefer moderation.  My daughter has used WW in the past and over two years has lost 100 pounds.

Esteemed Contributor

Any diet works if you stay on it.

Keto is another diet that has been around for years and years with a new name it is unpractical for a lifetime but people always look for a quick fix.

Honesly the new WW is a moderation lifestyle, lifetime sustainable program that is very healthy.

Wall street is full of BS and really should not be looked at as a goal for health, so many people take their lives when things go south with that awful framework.

Honored Contributor

Weight Watchers has helped a lot of people, but not helped a lot too.  It is about $$$$$$.  It is a business.  

Maybe Oprah is killing it? 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I go to a WW center weekly, there arae no photos of Orprah and he name is never mentioned

@Sooner wrote:

Weight Watchers has helped a lot of people, but not helped a lot too.  It is about $$$$$$.  It is a business.  

Maybe Oprah is killing it? 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I'm a loyal Weight Watcher, it's the only program that has worked for me after a lifetime of yo yo dieting and ridiculous fad diets.

However, I thought the whole renaming to WW / Wellness Wins was ridiculous and a dangerous gamble.  And what do we talk about in my meetings anyway? Tracking, weight loss success, stumbling blocks, activity -- nothing has changed. It was a dumb marketing gimmick.

As for Keto - I know a lot of people who are losing tons of weight - some to the point I think they look unhealthy now. Some of them have found it helped their IBS. But, I don't think it's sustainable. I don't think it's healthy either, but that's just my opinion. One girl I know is practically living on seasoned  ground meat.

Honored Contributor

Keto, or whatever it is, has always worked well for me.   If you manage it with some sense and get all the nutrition you need it's great.  At least for some of us. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've been advised by my doctor that keto is not for me.  I think she mentioned age (???) but I don't mind because I'm not interested in doing...let's call it the formal program.  I think cutting out "the white stuff" and eating less meat and more veggies makes more sense.

I "did" low carb long ago and it worked.  However, I found that while bread didn't mean much to me before Atkins, after it I really, really, REALLY loved bread!

I think WW is the best plan for life.  It's just reasonable eating.  You can truly have anything...just be reasonable (and accountable) for it.

Keepin' it real.