Honored Contributor

WW is made up of corporate owned stores and franchises; the one in my area (Baltimore region) are all franchises except for 2 (the last I had heard). Stores differ widely as to what they offer, their times and even their policies (though they are not supposed to).

Every person I know who worked at WW at my local store has left (including the leaders). The group I was part of all stopped going (I stopped 1 year plus ago).  IMHO, WW is ALL about the money. Shame because it was a great system. If you're going to do WW online, then sign up for the FREE programs/aps. 

There's a lot of bad blood among those I know who once worked for WW towards WW and I can't blame them especially since many have been members for decades.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

WW is made up of corporate owned stores and franchises; the one in my area (Baltimore region) are all franchises except for 2 (the last I had heard). Stores differ widely as to what they offer, their times and even their policies (though they are not supposed to).

Every person I know who worked at WW at my local store has left (including the leaders). The group I was part of all stopped going (I stopped 1 year plus ago).  IMHO, WW is ALL about the money. Shame because it was a great system. If you're going to do WW online, then sign up for the FREE programs/aps. 

There's a lot of bad blood among those I know who once worked for WW towards WW and I can't blame them especially since many have been members for decades.

I tried WW ONCE back in the mid 80's, and I attended the meetings regularly, up until I got sick.

When I returned, I had to re-register and shell out more $.

That was it for me.

I saw them for what they were, money hungry.

So, I knew even then, in the mid-80's that they were all about the $$$.

Personally, with all of the on-line weight loss app out there, and a lot of them are FREE, I'm surprised that meetings are even still around.

I'm betting that in ten years or less, they won't be.

Fact is, people are busy these days, and don't have time to run to a meeting, and the younger folk don't have an interest in going to meetings.

Yup, I see meetings going the way of Tupperware parties.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

WW is the only program that ever worked for me - I've hit maintenance twice but eventually . . . well you know!  I gave up years ago.

I hated that just as you are familiar with the program you are on, January rolls in and they would introduce a lot of new changes.   By March if you were still going over half of the members were gone.  

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl  It worked for me too and I'm a "lifetime" member.  The plan I used in the early 1990s I had to eat a fixed number of servings of each category, e.g., 2 breads, 5 proteins, etc. and would check it off as consumed.   At the end of the day I sometimes had to force myself to eat more.  I lost about 20 pounds in a few months and it worked.  IMO the "systems" now have too many choices.  

Have gone back a few times in the past 30 years.  The fat and fiber diet, points plus, etc., etc. but haven't stuck with any of them.  I also think that having meetings is passe.  Pretty much resigned myself to being a bit overweight as long as I feel well and have no problems.

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl  The constant changing of the programs is what did it in for me and those I know. I kept all of my materials from the different times I would go on WW (after each pregnancy); the program works....at least until they became the "almost everything is free points and it's ok to carry some extra weight and oh, let's all hug now!!!" ******.

I well remember the groans each time a new program was introduced over the past 5-6 years. I well remember less and less people coming to the meetings. I well remember the number of meetings dwindling down to 4 a week instead of the 24 they used to offer. And then the love-fest for their currant celebrity face and well; just too much and not worth the money any more.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Financialgrl  It worked for me too and I'm a "lifetime" member.  The plan I used in the early 1990s I had to eat a fixed number of servings of each category, e.g., 2 breads, 5 proteins, etc. and would check it off as consumed.   At the end of the day I sometimes had to force myself to eat more.  I lost about 20 pounds in a few months and it worked.  IMO the "systems" now have too many choices.  

Have gone back a few times in the past 30 years.  The fat and fiber diet, points plus, etc., etc. but haven't stuck with any of them.  I also think that having meetings is passe.  Pretty much resigned myself to being a bit overweight as long as I feel well and have no problems.

@kaydee50  I well remember that plan - as a matter of fact I think that was pretty much the old original plan.  I did well under the first "points" plan where you got so many per day and as you lost you would get less and less.  I will say that the thing I liked about the meetings was that ppl would discuss recipes and foods they found that fit the plan well.  

Honored Contributor

No weight loss program is effective if it isn't sustainable.  A diet is temporary, but a lifestyle is forever.  There are many free programs that support a healthy lifestyle.  WW is archaic.  There are still those who live it and have adopted it as their lifestyle, those that have been able to sustain a healthy BMI and health....(don't know what plan that would be).  Not necessary to join WW these days to accomplish.  My lifestyle would not fit into any of their plans.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Instead of selling items, maybe they are explaining & selling the 

online plan...?  

Just in our micro-biosphere of QVC Forums, I see many who still

have questions about their plans. 

And maybe this is their long-term vision to get everyone online

to close the local 'stores'....? 🤔

@sidsmomthis makes more sense.  

In the past, you had to join and either do WW on-line or go to a meeting to be able to use the app.  I remember having to have my membership number to use the app. Now, you can just sign up for the app because someone I know just did that. 

She has no time or interest attending meetings.    

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Financialgrl  The constant changing of the programs is what did it in for me and those I know. I kept all of my materials from the different times I would go on WW (after each pregnancy); the program works....at least until they became the "almost everything is free points and it's ok to carry some extra weight and oh, let's all hug now!!!" ******.

I well remember the groans each time a new program was introduced over the past 5-6 years. I well remember less and less people coming to the meetings. I well remember the number of meetings dwindling down to 4 a week instead of the 24 they used to offer. And then the love-fest for their currant celebrity face and well; just too much and not worth the money any more.

@SahmIam  Regarding the celebrities who've endorsed the program over the years - be it Fergie, Duchess of York, or Oprah, etc  - I always thought gee, of course they do well bc they often have staff who cook for them.  

Honored Contributor

I have never done WW.  My husband said he did it once years before we even met.  He said it worked for him, but the meetings made him very uncomfortable being the only male.  Also, he didn't like that the weigh-ins weren't private.  You know, being a man,  he dropped the pounds faster than the women and they resented it.  

I have a friend from church who was a long-time WW customer.  She was very unhappy with the changes after Oprah bought into the plan.  I never really understood though why, if she had been on a program she liked for years, why she didn't just continue doing that plan.