Valued Contributor

I just took my Subaru Forestor in for a check up. All it we do is regular maintenance (oil change, checked the brakes and so on) and all it needs now is new tires. You might wonder why it's big deal...it's because that car is 34 years old; we bought in in 1988.

That's one reason why regular maintenance is important. I don't know if any other brand would last so long (I'm sure most manufacturers make 'em like this now) but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't still be running if we hadn't taken care of it.

My previous car was a Japanese brand and it ran for 28 years; I think if I'd taken better care of it we might still have it, so I learned my lesson.

Honored Contributor

That is amazing!!!!!  You must take great care of your Forester for it to have lasted so long.  I also own a Forester which is about six years old and agree about keeping up the maintenance.  I used to buy Toyotas but a friend recommended the Suburu and I am happy with the car and would definitely buy one again!!!!  

Esteemed Contributor

What's the mileage read?     On this and previous car?

Congratulations..............*****  5 stars

Valued Contributor

I suspect American car-makers finally noticed the success of Japanese cars and decided they needed to catch up. Most of my cars have been Japanese--not by design, it just happened to be what I liked.

The only car I didn't take care of, much to my regret, was a VW Beetle. It was a fun car, though; I still laugh over the time I squeezed about 5 passengers AND a German Shepherd in it. Gosh, I wish I'd taken better care of it but I was in my 20's and what did I know?

Respected Contributor

I am on my third Subaru.  I purchased an Outback in 1997.  I traded that one in for another Outback when it reached over 100,000 miles in 2007.  I traded that Outback in for a smaller Impreza sport in 2014 as the 2007 Outback had also reached 100,000 miles and I wanted a smaller car that would get a little better mileage since I drove a lot for work and taking my kids back and forth to school.  Well I changed jobs and  my kids are grown so even though my current Impreza is 8 years old, it only has 65,000 miles and I plan on keeping it until it gets closer to 100.000 which at the rate I now drive should be quite awhile.   My next car will definitely be a Subaru as well.  Other than regular maintenance and new tires none of my cars ever had any major problems. 

Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

I just took my Subaru Forestor in for a check up. All it we do is regular maintenance (oil change, checked the brakes and so on) and all it needs now is new tires. You might wonder why it's big deal...it's because that car is 34 years old; we bought in in 1988.

That's one reason why regular maintenance is important. I don't know if any other brand would last so long (I'm sure most manufacturers make 'em like this now) but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't still be running if we hadn't taken care of it.

My previous car was a Japanese brand and it ran for 28 years; I think if I'd taken better care of it we might still have it, so I learned my lesson.

@PuppyLoverBob666  Did you mean 1998?  My Forester was a 1999 and it was the second year of the Forester's release.   I LOVED that vehicle, gave it to my SIL,  and bought another in 2007.  Last year when it needed a lot of work...  and I took amazing care of both of them,  always going back to the dealer for all work ...  it was time for something else,  since I'm not as fond of the new styling which I find a lot more generic than the old Forester style.   I sold my 2007.  Congrats on so many maintenance free years.   

Esteemed Contributor

My 1995  Toyota Rav has 58,000 miles on it and still runs amazing. Regular maintenance is definitely key. It still has an ashtray and lighter in it. And a cassette player. 

Valued Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666  Did you mean 1998?  My Forester was a 1999 and it was the second year of the Forester's release.   I LOVED that vehicle, gave it to my SIL,  and bought another in 2007.  Last year when it needed a lot of work...  and I took amazing care of both of them,  always going back to the dealer for all work ...  it was time for something else,  since I'm not as fond of the new styling which I find a lot more generic than the old Forester style.   I sold my 2007.  Congrats on so many maintenance free years.   

My bad; I really thought it was 1998. It doesn't have as many miles on it as you might think; my sister drives it now and I don't think she puts more than about 100 miles a month. Before that, though, my DH and I drove it all over the country and more. I have many fond memories of those days.

Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666   oh yes Detroit definately tried to figure it out - in the 70 early 80s:

Chevy Chevette

Pontiac Sunbird

Chevy Cavalier

Pontiac Phoenix

They could see the success of the Civic and Toyota!... Subaru jumped in too - the DL model -1978.  my Sis in law had a blue one:

Contributor

Last year I traded in my 2006 Corolla.. it was regularly maintained. The mileage was more than from here to the moon. Needless to say, I bought another Corolla .