Valued Contributor

Re: WOW ! nurses all across the country are very upset...

[ Edited ]

I've read every bit of this thread, all the responses. I don't watch The View and am glad I didn't hear J.B.'s obnoxious comments in real time. I have since gone on Y.T., and have seen her behaviour. She is in the kindest way to say it as another poster did, an idiot. 

I have been a nurse, an RN for 35 years. Sure, I have a bunch of other initials after my name. But that is for my C.V., I am a nurse, a darn good one. 

Let me tell anyone who will listen about nurses~

-We go to school for a long time and continue to learn every day we work and for the rest of our lives. We don't make a lot of money. Most people who go into nursing don't do so for the money as, in many other areas of health care. It truly is a calling, a pull, a desire to help, practice the art and save lives. 

-We work, for the most part in the shadow of Drs.,  who sometimes, oftentimes know less than us. And, don't ever get sick in July if you want a covering resident MD that will care for you or your loved one to have any experience. See, the med students graduate and start work right away before they even take their boards. Some nurses do too. But I will pledge my 35 yrs., that any graduate nurse has more clinical experience than, any graduate doctor!

-We work short staffed, with barely enough time to go to the restroom. Long shifts, doubles, swing shifts, holidays, weekends, summers as some professions enjoy. 

-We risk our lives, yes..our lives, our health and sometimes our families, taking care of patients, whether it be in the nursery,the OR, the various patient floors, in psychiatric situations and facilities or, a rehab or nursing facility.

-We handle all bodily fluids, we hang blood transfusions and closely monitor our patients during and after.

-We perform CPR, we suture, perform countless procedures, we assess and treat pain.

-We must know the indication, action, side effects, interactions and appropriate doses of every medication we give to a patient. Again, with more knowledge than most Drs.

-We hold our patients hands~talk, answer the questions the Drs., passed over & we pray with them if they ask..

-We hold them while death is imminent and we respectfully care for their bodies after they have passed. 

-We also in the 35 years I worked, wear our NURSES stethoscopes proudly around our necks!

God Bless Nurses!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daisy wrote:

I watched a clip and all I heard Joy ask is why she was wearing stethoscope. It seemed like an innocent question to me. She didn't sound like she was trying to make or joke or criticize her. Joy did say she wasn't listening or know what was going on or something like that.

There were further snide remarks like "...No wonder she didn't win..." & similar, which were certainly insulting both the contestant & her profession. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

She said she didn't know the woman was a nurse, she asked why the woman was wearing a stethoscope.  Isn't that how it went?

The woman in the pagent very clearly told you she was a nurse and discussed her feelings about her job. She did it beautifully, and sincerely. She was wearing scrubs and had her stethscope around her neck - which is how all nurses wear them, so it is right there when you need it 100 times a day.Joy and another host on the show were making fun of her and Joy couldn't understand why she had a "doctor's stethscope" wrapped around her neck, because real nurses don't use stethscopes. This is the gest of the conversation.

I just spent the last two days in the hospital and had several different nurses during my stay there. While there NONE of the nurses I had wore their stethoscope like that. In the past I have seen a few wear them like that, but most haven't. Why is it that you say ALL nurses wear them like that when in fact you haven't worked with all nurses and have no idea? Even though I didn't see a nurse wear the stethoscope like you are describing I still wouldn't say all nurses DO NOT wear them like that because the ones I have seen haven't. It seems to me that you are the one that is the "smarty pants" because you are telling actual nurses here they must have not been nurses because they didn't wear it like you did. I mean do you even listen to yourself? I am also assuming that is why you posed your makeup question in the community chat board (away from the beauty board as you said) because you were afraid of some of the snarky answers you would get. You get what you give and if you give people a little nicer, kinder and not so rigid version of yourself you will probably get that back. Just a suggestion.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

There were no apologies from the hosts on The View.  Behar feigned ignorance due to her own inattention, which is curious since she is paid to promote her "view" on this show.   Collins professed her "love" for nurses and advocated for salary increases for them.  Clearly there was a concerted effort by all to explain away yesterday's mocking of Miss Colorado's nursing "costume" and "doctor's stethoscope" following the response from thousands of nurses having apparently "misconstrued" Behar and Collins' comments because they "didn't listen closely enough", which merely served to make a bad situation even worse.  Their collective lack of sincerity was clearly the result of the network's insistence that the cast issue a mea culpa, but it backfired miserably.  Behar's attempts at humor fell flat and came across as a desperate attempt by an aging comic to remain relevant.  To avoid offering an apology, she actually characterized her acts as the mindless ramblings of an inattentive older woman who perhaps is no longer capable of offering meaningful commentary on current events. 

Trusted Contributor

Here we go again! A country with free speech, yet we can't say anything freely. BTW, I saw the whole pagent, and regardless of whether she was a nurse, her talent was just plain stupid!
Esteemed Contributor

The criticism was of the talent not the profession.  Nurses are invaluable in the healing of a patient. It has nothing to do with the fact that talking or telling a story is certainly not a "talent" on Miss America.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I heard all of the comments Monday, then again yesterday.

CLEARLY, the remarks that were made DID NOT disparage the NOBLE profession of Nursing, nor did they disparage the INTENT OF THE CONTENT of what the young woman said.

THE POINT of the remarks was directed to the fact that HER choice of an "entertainment" segment was a highly risky one for the venue in which she was being called upon to "perform".

Having had a great deal of personal experience with hospitals and nursing care during the last 10 years, I have also had the experience of not knowing exactly "who was whom", because I grew up on the era of white DRESSES, starched caps, and hospital pins. Wearing scrubs and a stethoscope really could have meant many different professions. 

Reading the comments of many professional nurses online, I have seen most of the negative comments from older/retired RNs who absolutely did "pay the dues" and fight to bring the profession to the point of respect that it holds today. 

I honor and salute those who have served in such an important field. You have no reason to be insulted by what was said on The View, and certainly you should not EVER be insulted to perform work that you have chosen to do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

I watched a clip and all I heard Joy ask is why she was wearing a stethoscope. It seemed like an innocent question to me. She didn't sound like she was trying to make or joke or criticize her. Joy did say she wasn't listening or know what was going on or something like that.

I think it showed her ignorance and belittled nurses; is she so isolated that she doesn't know nurses carry the hospitals not doctors. Who the h*ll does she think does the vital work.  We are more than people who empty bedpans!  I have worked with the very best of them in NYC and they will acknowledge and give credit to good nurses and care re their positive outcomes.  You can have the best surgeon in the world but if you don't have observant, conscientious nurses caring for you, it won't matter.  So to be confused as to why a nurse has a stethoscope on her neck is insulting and it doesn't matter how or where you keep or wear it. 

Respected Contributor

Well if Joy couldn't figure out that she was a nurse based on the scrubs and the moving story then something is wrong.  It would be like me seeing a firefighter with his fire gear on fighting a fire and me saying "What's that guy doing with a hose"

Frequent Contributor

Big deal if she has "family" in the fields.  A big mouth is a big mouth and they always shoot from the hip and back track later.