Honored Contributor

Re: WOW ! nurses all across the country are very upset...

IMO, the way that nurse wore her stethoscope is not how I wore mine when I worked. I had the ear pieces around my neck and the scope part of the stethoscope in my pants or apron pocket.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I am noticing more and more that people are becoming terribly touchy. If you voice anything out loud you are putting yourself in the position of having to either explain your remarks or apologize. Goodness gracious. 

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

IMO, the way that nurse wore her stethoscope is not how I wore mine when I worked. I had the ear pieces around my neck and the scope part of the stethoscope in my pants or apron pocket.

I don't know what you did for a living but nurses haven't worn aprons for about 50 years.They were gone before caps and capes. I haven't had one since nursing school. And all nurses now wear their stethscopes like that as they are lightweight and this way they don't fall into anything you don't want them to fall into.

Respected Contributor

JustJazzMom, that is the way the nurse wore hers yesteday at my doctors office . She only had part of it exposed and the other part was in her pocket.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the pediatric unit I was on, wearing that apron type of top over the standard dress or white blouse was less intimidating when dealing with children.

And I was an RN with a BSN from an accredited 4 year University.

The way that nurse wore the stethoscope is the way the TV nurses and doctors wear them. JMO.

Typical cobbler apron worn by us in Pediatric Unit:

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

I don't watch the show but tuned in to see if anything was said about Joy's remark. I don't think she was sorry at all for what she said.  I think she was told to apologize and so she played it off like she didn't understand the contestant was actually a nurse. I can't believe this show is still on the air! 

Trusted Contributor

Just consider the source.

Joy is an idiot.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for the hearts.

Respected Contributor

I did not see the show but assume if it was Miss America the nurse in question came out in "costume"?  I nursed for a lot of years and none of us  ever wore stethoscopes all day.  Used to take b.p's but to have it hanging there all the time - no way - you could not do all the many tasks for your patient with that around your neck probably get in the way.  Our Drs wore them but took them off ASAP.  Our standard joke was you could always tell a "newbie/intern" because they wore their name badge and stethoscope all the time even to lunch.  However, if she was on a show I don't think this is out of context.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

In the pediatric unit I was on, wearing that apron type of top over the standard dress or white blouse was less intimidating when dealing with children.

And I was an RN with a BSN from an acredited 4 year University.

The way that nurse wore the stethoscope is the way the TV nurses and doctors wear them. JMO.

And it is also the way REAL nurses and real Doctors wear them now - so they aren't dangling in Lord knows what as you care for your patients.