Respected Contributor

Re: WOW, funeral costs now a days

As we all know, funerals are for the living. Burial or cremation costs are necessary for obvious reasons. I didn't know until my mother died that the burial plot itself is actually real estate, which makes sense if you think about it. Obituaries, elaborate coffins or urns, headstones/markers, viewings, funeral services, and especially renting halls/restaurant space are options. Providing meals or refreshments is strictly an option which is definitely a choice. All of those extra expenses are voluntary and unnecessary. Again, they are for the living. If the people are able to pay for it and feel it is honoring the deceased, it is their decision.

Honored Contributor

Sorry OP but the title of the thread is so depressing.  There are days it's like doom and gloom- it bothers some posters I'm sure ...  not meaning to start an argument or anything.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Regular Contributor

Your body is a "temple" .... donations to science for medical advancement, cremation, etc. are acceptable as long as the disposal is dignified, and should not be used as "Maggie" warned us (that was occurring) concerning macabre treatment of the body for repugnant scientific purposes.  

Regular Contributor

Orange,  

Yes, the subject is depressing but families need to know how much to "reserve" of their money so those "left behind" are not burdened with the outlandish cost of a funeral.  I found this thread very educational.

Don't be downtroden by the subject .... look at it as a part of life (and a better life for those who put their faith in Him).   Blessings!

Respected Contributor

My uncle died last month. No assets or life insurance policy, but he had been sick so we knew it was coming. The cost was only 3500.00. He was buried next to his mom. Since it was a graveside service, no viewing, we didn't have to have him embalmed. The vault to hold the casket was 500.00. Minister was from the funeral home. Very simple. A few years ago, a family friend died and she had the traditional burial/viewing/church service. $13,000. I would be fine with a Potter's grave. I don't want to be creamated. The thought of that freaks me out. Yes, I know I will be dead and not feel anything, but it still creeps me out.
Honored Contributor

@orangegarnet wrote:

Sorry OP but the title of the thread is so depressing.  There are days it's like doom and gloom- it bothers some posters I'm sure ...  not meaning to start an argument or anything.

I am fairly certain you ARE trying to start an argument but I am going to refuse to take the bait. You will have to go find somewhere else to play.

Esteemed Contributor

When my father passed it was approximately $8500 just for the funeral if he wasn't a WWII veteran it would have cost a whole lot more but he received a free grave and so will my mother when it's her time. As soon as we received his death benefit money I used some of it to prepay for my mom's funeral expenses because siblings can get pretty crazy in times of loss as I saw with my dad.
Honored Contributor

@Luvitorleaveit1 wrote:
When my father passed it was approximately $8500 just for the funeral if he wasn't a WWII veteran it would have cost a whole lot more but he received a free grave and so will my mother when it's her time. As soon as we received his death benefit money I used some of it to prepay for my mom's funeral expenses because siblings can get pretty crazy in times of loss as I saw with my dad.

I'm sorry for the loss of your father.

My father was a WWII veteran and we received $100, a flag, a small veteran's marker by the grave and a bugler.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dad was a WW11 vet, my parents had purchased themselves a masoleum and they are interred there. My Dad was a decorated vet with a bronze star and a silver star plus a purple heart. At his funeral in 1991, the VA provided the casket, an honor guard as pall bearers, a 21 gun salute, taps and the flag. In other words , everything he would have had at Arlington had he chosen to be buried there. 

I would not have ever asked for all that but , since they preplanned their funerals, he must have asked for it all. It was torture to sit through it all as it is very sad and truly emphasizes the loss. For me, it just brought back 1967 and burying my brother at Arlington after he was killed in Viet nam.

Valued Contributor