Honored Contributor

Re: WOW, WALMART EMPLOYEE TAKES HER JOB TOO SERIOUSLY

I have no doubt the company is aware of this checker's checking and have no doubt they applaud it. They have a low opinion of their customers and treat them accordingly. Apparently, some of their customers agree since they are willing to be treated like criminals to save a couple of dollars.

Trusted Contributor

I go to Walmart weekly. There's never been a receipt checker at the door and they quit having a greeter there several years ago. I wonder if they only do the receipt check at stores with high rates of shoplifting. 

Esteemed Contributor

Stores have the right to see your receipt be shown prior to exit. They can ask to check your bags before you exit but cannot detain you or force a check unless there is a reasonable suspicion of retail theft. 

If you do not agree to the check what they can do is permanently ban you from the store(s).

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

We have greeters, they're friendly and do greet. I have never seen anyone stopped and their bags checked nor do shoppers carry their receipt to show it on their way out. I put mine in my bag.  There is an employee at the self checkout who, I suppose, watches those using it. I would not allow an employee to go through my bags. 

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma     Geezzz just do not shop there if that bothers you so. You are making a big deal out of nothing.  Shop on line if you back etc hurts so much to stand there for a few minutes. 

"Geezzz?"  This post doesn't sound very kind.

Honored Contributor

Full disclosure, I am Caucasian. I can't tell you how many times I have been in Best Buy and Wal-Mart holding my receipt, and having them wave me on and not check it. Then someone of color comes along and they examine the receipt. This bothers me, don't assume that because I'm white I wouldn't shoplift (I wouldn't), the rules should be the same for everyone!

Honored Contributor

The greeters at Walmart check my receipts if I have something that’s not bagged like a large package of tp and paper towels, etc.  I figure it’s part of shopping there. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@occasionalrain

Apparently a lot of people have asked if it is legal for Wal Mart to ask to check your reciept and bags.  I googled the question myself and here is a response from an attorney:

"Yes it is legal for a stores to require you produce your receipt before you exit there stores since you did not come into the store with the items you are leaving with there also allowed to check your bags even.

If don't like the policy you can always shop in stores without said policy"

Wow, the grammar in that response was from an “attorney”?

Super Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

My husband used to work there and women would take a pregnancy test into the bathrooms and use them to find out what they needed to know.

Lots of stuff behind the scenes that most people have no idea what goes on.

People sneaking out TV's between their legs under coats, etc.

Unbelievable !

I go to WM only for cat food. The other day I spotted two empty soft drink cans and an empty banana skin in my brief trip. people will steal anything, any way they can!

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I have never shopped anywhere where a store employee checks the sales receipts against your merchandise as you exit the store. I would not shop at such a place that would waste my time like that. I don't think that would fly in my area either, we have open carry and that kind of practice might get you shot. Either people do not shop lift in our area or every Walmart does not have the same policies.

Good lord I can't believe this response. So a store clerk legally asks to see purchases to check against the receipt and you think an appropriate response would be to shoot her? All I can say is this is crazy. The shooter would be looking at a murder charge. Glad I don't live where this kind of attitude is prevalent.