Esteemed Contributor

Re: WOULD YOUR FAMILY DO THIS TO YOU?

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde The  N.Y. Daily News is definitely a rag.However,I don't believe it's fake news.It's just unsophisticated in its reporting.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

much despised cousin who died 6 years ago truly deserved this type of obituary.   My dad severed ties with him many years ago, and I hadn't spoken to him for 12 years before his death.   None of my family attended his services.

His obituary was a ridiculous "heroic fairytale filled with incorrect information", written by his youngest daughter, who had no clue how the family felt about her dad.   Since there were less than 30 people at his funeral, it was quite obvious he was not a popular person.   My cousin has been quite embarrassed by the information she has learned in the years after her dad's passing, and realizes she should've gone with cremation and private burial in the family plot.   

Even if people deserve this type of obituary, I don't think this is respectable, or the right thing to do.  Just keep everything low key and simple as far as arrangements, let go, and move on.   

It seems to me the service was about how she felt about her dad, and rightfully so.  Too bad she had too learn the details of his life.

Honored Contributor

consequences for all of our actions.....always and forever.

Honored Contributor

"It appears to have been plagiarized from an obituary for Dolores Aguilar published in the Vallejo Times Herald in California in 2008.

Many of the same lines in June’s obituary are also in the 2008 obit, including: ‘Her family will remember June, and amongst ourselves we will remember her in our own way, which were mostly sad and troubling times throughout the years. We may have some fond memories of her, and perhaps we will think of those times, too. But we truly believe at the end of the day all of us will really only miss what we never had – a mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.’

Another similar lines reads: ‘There will be no service, no prayers and no closure for the family she spent a lifetime tearing apart. We cannot come together in the end to see to it that her grandchildren and great-grandchildren can say their goodbyes.’

A similar obituary was written by the family of Leslie Ray Charping, 75, who died in January.

The Texas family wrote a brutally honest obituary saying things such as: ‘At a young age, Leslie quickly became a model example of bad parenting combined with mental illness and a complete commitment to drinking, drugs, womanizing and being generally offensive.’
The family did not hold a funeral for Charping."

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

The Mean Obituary!

North Carolina newspaper runs mean obituary for great-grandmother who ‘will not be missed’

What a sendoff.

A North Carolina newspaper published a scathing, possibly plagiarized obituary of an 82-year-old great-grandmother that accused her of being a drug addict — enraging her relatives.

“Drugs were a major love in her life as June had no hobbies, made no contribution to society and rarely shared a kind word or deed in her life,” the June 27obituary, published in the Cherokee Scout, says of Florida resident Cornelia June Rogers Miller.

“We speak for the majority of her family when we say her presence will not be missed by many, very few tears will be shed, and there will be no lamenting over her passing.”

Read the entire article at:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nc-newspaper-runs-obituary-great-grandmother-article-1.3311...

*Call Tyrone*

I'm planning to write my own obit and let the kids know where it is...I seriously doubt they'd have anything bad to say if they wrote it themselves, but not leaving anything to chance. 

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie,

Sadly, my young cousin admits to using her dad's funeral to try to make the connection she and her siblings did not have with him while he was alive.   My cousin would not marry their mother, and was barely in his children's lives, until he got sick and realized he had no one else to turn to.  He was truly a disgusting excuse for a human; my grandpa even booted this grandson off the farm several years before he passed.

Occasional Contributor

Not necessary to "air the dirty laundry".  Note that she had passed and leave it at that.

Respected Contributor

With a family like that, no wonder June was so mean 

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

This was in the NY Daily News - a fake news rag.

That being said, whether or not this particular obit was plagiarized (or real), it's not the first one. Someone posted on the forums a few months back the same type of obit for a male. So there will apparently continue to be copycat trash-the-deceased reviews reported from now on - it seems to have "caught on" as a Thing now - the reporting it in the media, that is.

Are they real? Who knows. But I myself wouldn't accept any of them as gospel. They do make a good story for the rags, though, and they certainly outrage and disgust people - which is exactly what printing this "news" is meant to do.

Has one of these ever been actually printed? Maybe. Probably somewhere, at one point in time. Are all the reports popping up real? I highly doubt it. As a friend used to say, they couldn't print it in the Enquirer if it wasn't true 😜

I don't post things from un-verifiable sources.  Rags?  I don't consider the New York Daily News anymore of a Rag than I do the NY Post.  The Daily News is a far better operation than the NY Post (my opinion) @Moonchilde.  

The Daily news ran the story that is actually published in another rag; the one who published the obituary.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Moonchilde The  N.Y. Daily News is definitely a rag.However,I don't believe it's fake news.It's just unsophisticated in its reporting.

Indeed @NicksmomESQ.  Of course, it's no New York Times, but what is?  It's a well established Newspaper and I don't consider it a rag.  Now, the New York Post?  That's a Rag for sure......

*Call Tyrone*