Honored Contributor

Re: WOULD YOU MIND LOOKING OUT YOUR WINDOW AND SEEING THESE?

Don’t mind the look, worry about birds.

Would rather see solar panels on every home w/ enough sunlight.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

My city put in solar panels in a section of a cemetary, that runs along a road. WE have so much cloud cover, I wonder how well they work? They must think we will get enough sunlight to make it pay off in the long run.

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Don’t mind the look, worry about birds.

Would rather see solar panels on every home w/ enough sunlight.

@Drythe  Keep the faith.  There's hope on the horizon (literally).

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/wind-energy-takes-toll-birds-now-there-s-help-ncna866336

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't want them real close to the house but from a distance I like them.  They're relaxing to watch and at the same time are generating renewable energy.  What more could you want. Twice a year I pass a line of them in the Poconos as I travel on the PA Turnpike southbound.  I always look forward to it.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

My city put in solar panels in a section of a cemetary, that runs along a road. WE have so much cloud cover, I wonder how well they work? They must think we will get enough sunlight to make it pay off in the long run.

@cherry  Here's a bit of info on this issue.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/08/solar-panels-work-cloudy-days-just-less-effectively/

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

they want to put wind turbines about 20- 30 miles offshore of ocean city, maryland. i can tell you this has been a hot topic lately and many are not happy about it, especially people in the fishing industry. they are also worried that it could impact tourism.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/maryland/2018/07/20/offshore-wind-farm-alternative-gree...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've stood right at the base of one of these windmills in Conneaut, Oh. right at the shore of Lake Erie. It was a stormy day and very windy, it was going fairly fast and I could not hear it at all. All we could hear was the wind blowing. If it wasn't noisy in that situation  .....

My cousin has them on her dairy farm. Income from allowing them to build these on her property allowed her & her husband to very comfortably retire. I've never heard any noise from them there either - though I haven't walked out into the pasture where they actually are. Are they ugly - that's a matter of opinion. A pasture of grazing dairy cows isn't all that pretty either. They are certainly prettier than oil rigs or coal mines. The cows don't seem to mind grazing right under them - doesn't bother them at all.

Honored Contributor

I love old windmills...the new ones are ugly, kill birds, and do make a humming noise if there are many of them within a certain area....we see several groups of them out in the country along the interstates in Texas
Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I actually like watching them.  They are so graceful, yet powerful.

If my electric bill was lowered considerably, I'd have one in my front yard.

Are you in an area where solar is an option? I have quite a few friends with solar panels and they often have negative energy bills. I'm in an apartment, so that's not an option for me. My old high school and others in the district had covered parking with solar panels installed in all of the parking lots and it's saving the school district over $100,000 a year. I'm trying to convince my company to do the same thing, both for the renewable energy and because I really want some covered parking, especially in the Texas summers!

Yes, many people who live in my area have solar panels on their roofs. I will also admit that my youngest son installs them.

A few years ago, the electric company offered a incentive to go solar.  They were even offering to buy back the excess electricity that you didn't use.  You had to front about $20k to get into the program.

One of my cousins did it and is happy with his decision. He said it has paid for itself many times over. He sells his excess electricity to the electric company.  He is disabled and not able to work, so it's a source of income for him.

My husband will not go for it.  Too much trouble and too much money for initial investment. I have even suggested that we get solar panels for our RV...didn't go over well either.

Our home is total electric.  I'd like to give it a try.

Trusted Contributor

I like their looks. I like their sounds. I like their purpose.