Honored Contributor

Re: WOULD YOU MIND LOOKING OUT YOUR WINDOW AND SEEING THESE?

I actually like watching them.  They are so graceful, yet powerful.

If my electric bill was lowered considerably, I'd have one in my front yard.

Honored Contributor

I find them rather intriguing......  Would prefer looking at them instead of cancer causing stuff that is out there. today  I would prefer if all electrical wires were buried.....  Have seen on HGTV when people are house hunting that they try to dodge buying a house with those cancer causing stuff behind the house they are looking for.  I know I would dodge it.....

Honored Contributor

I never thought about it but I saw them for the first time last year off I-35 near Texas/Oklahoma border. Didn’t know what they were at first.

Honored Contributor

The only place I've ever seen them is way out in the middle of nowhere.  The plains of Western Alberta Canada has the biggest concentration of them that I've seen.  There's no shortage of wind there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Looking at them?

No

Listening to them?

There’s the issue..and that’s why they’re usually in a very remote area.  

I have found there are different sizes of wind turbines.

Smaller ones making less noise. The larger turbines are just

not physically able to be in populated areas due to the transport.

Tighter/curvier roads would make installation next to impossible. 

Honored Contributor

Anything that big even in a large field would creep me out.

Respected Contributor

Image result for wind energy in the us

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

When I see them I think they are really ruining a lot of naturally beautiful views.  And I wonder what will happen when they begin to fail and become obsolete.  It's gonna cost a bazillion $$$$$ to get rid of them then.  How come nobody talks about that?  Or are they just going to be there rusting and falling apart.  

Also wonder if they will affect weather patterns where there are lots of them.  Not saying this to make a statement about the issue of their use, but wondering what will happen with they get old and THEN people have to look at them.  

I'm old and people have to look at me!  LOL!!!

There are lots of wind turbines in many areas of many countries and I have not heard of any of those things becoming an issue. If one breaks, you repair it or replace it, just like you would with any other appliance or part of the electrical grid. I've seen them around since the 1970s, so I don't know why you're thinking they're going to become obsolete and rust As long as we need electricity and have wind, they're going to be a useful part of an efficient energy plan.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Get rid of the power lines and poles and it's not a half bad view.

Honored Contributor

I have actually avoided making an informed and researched opinion of them. 

I hate that they invade the clean wide open spaces. 

I love that they are another way to generate and supply power using something like wind, and seemingly with little environmental impact.

I've seen them around here and it creeps me out, and I wouldn't be happy having them 'in my backyard'. Like most things we want what we want (power and more of it for all our creature comforts), but at someone else's expense.

I personally believe that at this time in history, we have to use what we have, and combine it with other forms of energy, with different kinds of generating power for different areas and circumstances. 

Some day, technology may make it all be very clean and very non intrusive (both wind and solar and other forms of power generation). Until then, we have to use all the options we have and if that includes wind, I guess it will have to be this way, in areas where it will work.