Honored Contributor

Re: WORST advice I ever heard!!!!

That must be the "thinking" of every person coming out of our WM or Publix!

They don't look just continue walking....unbelievable😳

honestly, with the older & inexperienced young drivers I would never walk in the path of traffic & think they are paying attention because "they'll stop for me!" just dumb!

Respected Contributor

I see the same attitude at the elementary school near me.  The school is located on a very busy street.  Yes, it has a 25 mph school zone (which many drivers ignore), but it has no crosswalk from the side street facing the school entrance.

Moms park all along this side street and - open their doors without looking to see if anyone is driving down the street (with their cars parked on both sides, this is a challenge as if there is two way traffic, one car has to yield so the other can pass.)  Then they take their small children and walk down the middle of this street - again impeding traffic and finally, they cross the busy street often without regard to traffic (and again there is no cross walk or light so they do NOT have right of way - but I guess they think their kids give them this right anyway.)

I used to drive this way to get to Jazzercise and witnessed many near misses.  Now I go out of my way during the school year to avoid the whole intersection.  

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl, that's good advice from your father. As the song says, teach your children well.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I was at a very busy shopping plaza yesterday, during a peak time of day and just driving through there is a challenge.

I was walking out of a store that sits on 1 of 2 entrances to the plaza.  I got to the curb and stopped to check for cars and a young woman comes up next to me with 2 children (maybe 4 and 5 years old) and the 5 yr old stops at the curb beside me and the mother says.

"We have the right of way, they will stop.  Come on let's go.."   !!!!!!!!!!!!

and walked right out with the 2 children into the flow of traffic !?!?!?!?  She never even looked!!

What a horrible lesson to teach children- 'trust everyone else to look out for you, it's THEIR responsibility to keep you safe.'

Ugghh. Sorry rant over.

@Abrowneyegirl

In many places the mom is incorrect - no one HAS right of way. It is written that, in specific situations, the driver of a car is supposed to YIELD right of way. 

Honored Contributor

Here in Seattle where traffic is a nightmare, people get run over in crosswalks all the time. Cars do not stop. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Here in Seattle where traffic is a nightmare, people get run over in crosswalks all the time. Cars do not stop. 

@SeaMaiden

We actually have signs at a lot of crosswalks that say to yield to people in the crosswalk. When did people get so stupid??? No, you should not hit people in the crosswalk - or anywhere else!

The stupidity and self-importance is bad with both pedestrians and drivers.

Honored Contributor

I generally don't comment on most rants here, but in this case, you are so spot on!

Honored Contributor

When GD #1 was just over 2, she and I would take a lot of walks together. I'm kind of proud to say I taught her: Look left, look right and then look left again. (She knew left and right!). It's the way I was taught.

I hope those poor kids survive their "mother".

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it's as much stupidity as it is entitlement.  Some people have that attitude of "I can do whatever I want and if anything happens, it's YOUR fault, not mine".  Eh, it's the world we live in these days.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DLew wrote:

You could be dead right. Your life is too valuable to trust your safety to any driver. 

I saw a mother pull her son away from where the school crossing guard was and say, “You don’t have to listen to her. You’re  with your mother.”

@DLew- OMG that's ridiculous!!!

In elementary school I remember a song we sang. I only remember the first line:

"Stop, look, and listen, before you cross the street."

Seems like a lot of good sense to me.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett