Honored Contributor

Re: WORST advice I ever heard!!!!

Was the pavement they were walking in marked as a crosswalk?  Were there stop signs indicating that moving vehicles were to stop at the curb near the entrance?

Valued Contributor

Amazing!  Another similar behavior is when a car is merging into traffic on a freeway and the driver doesn’t yield and just assumes the freeway traffic must make way for him.  Who are these numbskulls?

Valued Contributor

even if I have the right of way, I never assume people will either see me or let me go.  I always look.

I find people just pull out of parking spots without looking either. 

Super Contributor

I was a rather arrogant teenager, and thought the same.  My father yelled at me and said "You're not going to win a fight with a 2000lb car, even if you do have the right of way"  Never, ever forgot that.  Told my children the same.....

Respected Contributor

This is one of my biggest gripes while driving any more. Not just kids, adults will walk right behind you when you are almost all the way out of your parking space. One guy scared me to death one day, he banged on the trunk of my car while I was backing - he and his lady friend, or whatever, were no where in sight and as I was looking left and right - there they were. I had to wonder if they were complete idiots or what as no way would I move one step until I know where that car is going. There are times when vehicles do have the right of way, like when they are almost completely out in the driving area and they go there when no other cars or people were in sight - then boom, here come the idiots. Pretty bad.

Pretty hard to understand why Mother said what she did re the crossing guard. Pretty dumb in my opinion. 

Honored Contributor

Some people aren't even teaching children to watch out for cars. We have a family on our street like that, Mr Cherry told one of the little girlsn a car almost hit himn when he was riding his bike. They came out of a driveway nwithout even looking or stopping

The little girl looked like she thought he was kidding her. She said will a car hit you?

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Was the pavement they were walking in marked as a crosswalk?  Were there stop signs indicating that moving vehicles were to stop at the curb near the entrance?

There is a cross walk in the area but she was not using it.

No stop sign in the area, unfortunately. 

Respected Contributor

@Dar321 wrote:

I was a rather arrogant teenager, and thought the same.  My father yelled at me and said "You're not going to win a fight with a 2000lb car, even if you do have the right of way"  Never, ever forgot that.  Told my children the same.....

My father's line was " on your tombstone they can write, "I had the right of way."

Honored Contributor

Wonder if having to meet certain standards to become parents would/could make a difference? Then I drive our car and wonder and kinda the same thing. How in the world did these people get a license to drive, and also am surprised there aren't more fatal crashes than there are now. Many somehow make it very well through life in spite of their parents advice such as this.

hn

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I was at a very busy shopping plaza yesterday, during a peak time of day and just driving through there is a challenge.

I was walking out of a store that sits on 1 of 2 entrances to the plaza.  I got to the curb and stopped to check for cars and a young woman comes up next to me with 2 children (maybe 4 and 5 years old) and the 5 yr old stops at the curb beside me and the mother says.

"We have the right of way, they will stop.  Come on let's go.."   !!!!!!!!!!!!

and walked right out with the 2 children into the flow of traffic !?!?!?!?  She never even looked!!

What a horrible lesson to teach children- 'trust everyone else to look out for you, it's THEIR responsibility to keep you safe.'

Ugghh. Sorry rant over.

Hopefully she won't meet up with a texter or someone else driving and not paying attention. Accident waiting to happen.